Back some years ago

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be in contact with one of the writers on Days. Told no one, never divulged anything revealed, but the purpose, I think of being contacted in first place was to not lead viewers astray in any way. I so appreciated that, for the length it lasted. (that writer no longer with Days). That was back when I worked on another Days site. Cannot tell you how much I appreciated the trust & valued the interaction. I was doing summaries on that site, one day a week, filling in for someone else, & somehow ended up doing 2, sometimes 3 days a week. Many of you know the rest of that........(Eventually, because of differing opinions I left......as did Wayne......lol, and some time later....Wayne established this site, and here I am. )

The thing is, writers do think up scenarios on their own, but also are asked to write something or other to feature so and so. And as we all know, what sounds good verbally or on paper, doesn't always turn out as expected.

And this is how I feel about the move to Peacock. It probably sounded good on paper, verbally, but the reaction by the viewing public is mostly negative. The lack of promo from the show & cast seems to indicate even the suits are not up for it. Then again, maybe their plan was not to mention it til after Labor Day??? That interview with Corday is a disaster......o.k. will be nicer, call it just a mistake.

Just that I have been doing this a long time, in various places, & I just cannot fathom this being a good thing for Days.

I do watch some show that are streaming only. They are well written and tight. Something that Days is not, it's sloppy and poorly edited.

The writing if it gets "racier/smuttier" that may not bring in new eyes, how can you get new eyes when the show has 50 years of history, yet you don't honor the history?? The Salem Portal will have to be explained. Then you have the silly wardrobe issues, of folks being dressed in the wrong season for the airing date.

I don't want the show to fail, I really want it to tighten up and get better. Smut and questionable language is not the answer. Not that I'll ever disagree with more Xander in towels....

I think it will work if they tighten up the writing and production, and think of the show in arcs. Not that they all have to be self contained, but I can't imagine them releasing 1 episode a day for 260 days a year and surviving against shows made to stream. They could still produce 260 episodes, they'd just need to do them in little bundles or something (like 8 main stories in 30 episode chunks, with B- and C-stories and crossover plot points, and then 20 episodes focused on holidays/get togethers).

Bottom line is they're not bringing over older/traditional viewers and what they're showing will not appeal to streaming viewers.

Last edited:
Jason, you're right about them not bringing over older/traditional viewers--at least not this one. Just reading your explanation about how they could possibly do the episodes for streaming was confusing for me. I'm so clueless about streaming I didn't even want to try to process it. I wish the best for the show and for all the viewers who do follow but I probably wouldn't, even if I had adequate internet, especially not with what the content has become, though there are some characters I'll miss seeing.

All that Jason described is the writing process behind the scenes. To the viewer, it would just be interconnected batches of episodes to binge or view. And it all takes place in the same world. Think of them like Beyond Salem seasons where each has a main story that unfolds. Each might follow different sets of characters and then you could specials that bring everyone together—for the holidays or the summer or whatever.

It all has to be done thoughtfully, but it seems like NBC dropped this decision in their laps with no lead time to give the show the best chance to do well. Maybe they’ll be able to limp along with what they’ve already shot and then launch a new format next year, but they need to get their act together and fast. And I fear this all just means NBC doesn’t care.

If they’re able to stream old episodes, they could probably forget doing new daily shows and just stream the backlog. Do two or three special movies or miniseries a year at most plus some behind the scenes commentary with cast members talking about the olden Days. That means limited new production costs and they’ll still get the interested soap subscribers.

I wouldn't have been surprised if after the last renewal was completed they had moved to specials like Beyond Salem. It could have driven some people to Peacock to see their favorite characters once in a while.

I think if nothing else they will keep to the once a day model just to keep people subscribed. I was thinking since they film so far ahead that they could put stuff out early and be done before next September but they probably want to keep people hooked.

The funny part about binge watching is this show gives people a lot of it. You could watch a weeks worth every weekend and unlike other shows always have new shows. BUT I think binging this show would just draw attention to the fact that a weeks worth of stuff could be rolled into one or two days.

Totally true about how they stretch stuff out to meet the daily schedule. For streaming, they need to write the show differently. It needs to be more compact with tighter storylines. They could number of episodes in half and drop 10 episodes a month or drop 3 per week, Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

I think it will work if they tighten up the writing and production, and think of the show in arcs. Not that they all have to be self contained, but I can't imagine them releasing 1 episode a day for 260 days a year and surviving against shows made to stream. They could still produce 260 episodes, they'd just need to do them in little bundles or something (like 8 main stories in 30 episode chunks, with B- and C-stories and crossover plot points, and then 20 episodes focused on holidays/get togethers).

Bottom line is they're not bringing over older/traditional viewers and what they're showing will not appeal to streaming viewers.
I know they are renewed through September 2023, so until then, they do need to step up their game. Restricting the franchise to just Beyond Salem would not work (I thought about this) due to the very fact that soaps are ongoing, need continuity, and it just wouldn't cut it. So if they are making this drastic move to streaming only, we need to see improvements to keep the viewers they wish to retain and potential new viewers.

They're renewed through September 2023, and have already filmed through February of 2023 at least and then we'll note the episodes will get smuttier and edgier and longer while also being the same or whatever.

They should wrap filming around March or April based on their last timetables.

Back