Bad Mom

ElizabethO

Reaction score
Well today I feel like a bad mom. I live about 30 mins from NYC and my daughters favorite band One Direction will be there tomorrow at the Today Show. I was thinking of taking her but saw on tv this morning that people have been in line since Thurs. sleeping outside!!! They say the line is about 6 blocks long. I told her we can't go. My girls are 14 they are twins and were born at 27 weeks. We still struggle with many medical issues there was no way I would ever sleep outside for a concert. I feel like I broke her heart when I told her this morning. She has been missing a lot of school for doctors appointments lately because of her medical issues and I just wanted to give her a little happy treat. I have also been trying to get tickets for any of the up coming concerts in our area and they sell out in seconds.
Thanks I just needed to vent.
PS This is my first time making a thread I hope I did it right.

You are not a bad Mom you are there for all the tough times!! While she may be dissapointed I am sure she knows you tried. Hang in there, something else will happen that will bring her joy.:hug:
By the way you did great with the thread:clap:

A bad mom would not care that their child was disappointed. A Good mom knows when to make a judgement call, especially when it is health related.
It's not easy being a mom, especially of teenagers...and especially daughters. But she will be fine and will make the same tough decisions for her children one day and that is when she will realize how smart Mom really is :D and how much it breaks our heart to disappoint them :(

Is there anything she doesn't have? Music, videos, etc....Maybe you could just get her a gift card to download her favorites. This doesn't make you a bad mom at all! Some things are just out of reach. :)

Thank you!!! I do feel a little better. She keeps telling me its ok. But when you see your child go through as much as she has. Its hard not to give her a little joy. Both she and her sister have VP Shunt in their head that helps to regulate cerebral fluid. They have had them since they were 2 months old. But my daughter Samanthas is broken we found out in Aug. and the amount of doctors appointments has been crazy. But we will make it... we always do.
Thanks Again

:hug: you are an awesome mom! how grown up and mature your daughter is for being understanding <- proof of just how great a mom you are. Bless you and your "Directioners" (my daughter is a big fan of one direction as well- the teenagers at church have trained her to be lol and they have informed me that fans are called "directioners"). Saying a prayer now for fast healing for your daughter's whose shunt is broken.

Thank you!!! I do feel a little better. She keeps telling me its ok. But when you see your child go through as much as she has. Its hard not to give her a little joy. Both she and her sister have VP Shunt in their head that helps to regulate cerebral fluid. They have had them since they were 2 months old. But my daughter Samanthas is broken we found out in Aug. and the amount of doctors appointments has been crazy. But we will make it... we always do.
Thanks Again

I know what you are going threw with the Dr. appointments. I also have a shunt for the same reason. (Mine has had to be replaced a few times) I know all those Dr. appointments can be stressful but soon she will be all better and there will be other concerts and other bands that she will be able to enjoy just as much. maybe even more.

:hug:Hey you did great on your post, one thing I have gained for all the posting here is that there are the best support group of people on here. I know it is hard to make a "parent " choice for the kids but I have learned that kids just have to ask and see, sometimes it works and sometimes not.. guess you wil have to DVR the show..

send the band your message(privately) on FB, without telling your daughters, and see what happens.
the worst that could happen is they ignore you, but who knows, they may make arrangements for your girls! (tis almost the Season . . . . .)

Well so much for her being understanding as Dayslady said because now she is in her room crying.
Its going to be a loooong night.

There is a difference between understanding why something cannot happen and being disappointed that it cannot happen. Your daughter understands and is disappointed. As much as it hurts us moms to disappoint our children, it happens and you will both make it through this okay.

My oldest daughter (18) periodically teases me about not being able to see Brittany Spears when she was about 10 or so, but that is all it is, just some good natured picking on mom. Sure, she was disappointed at the time, but we just could not afford the tickets. Having to say "no" sometimes makes them appreciate the "yes" that much more. There will be other concerts. My oldest had a blast seeing Nickelback when she was 17 - and so did I. She was so excited when she got the tickets for Christmas. Even knowing that she had to wait until April to use them and let mom and dad tag along, did not dim her enthusiasm! She'd memorized the row and seat numbers, then had her dad lock them in the gun safe so they wouldn't get lost. Now she has something else to tease me about. She says she was my "gateway drug to Nickelback obsession," as I am now a huge Nickelback fan. :)

Back