Breaking Ties - An Umbrella Mystery

Jill was gone by the time Eve and Daphne came out, holding a box each. “You girls all done?” Eve asked brightly, but Paige could tell she was rattled. Her mother’s smile was too wide and she had a weird look in her eyes.

“For now,” Daphne said. “Paige still has to decide what she can let go of.” She turned towards Paige. “Come on, let’s put these in the car.”

“I’ll be there in a minute. I just want to say good night to my mom.” Daphne hesitated but Paige said, “I’m coming. I promise.”

As soon as Daphne left, Eve said, “What’s left in your room? Maybe I could go through it while - “

“It’s fine, Mom.”

“Well, all right, baby, but I thought since you’re so eager to move to the dorms…”

“Stop it.” Paige crossed her arms. “Mom, what was that girl doing here?”

“What girl?”

“Don’t do that. I saw her. And I know who she is, so don’t play dumb either.”

“Now, is that any way to talk to your mother, Paige? I admit, I’m not exactly happy that you’ve decided to move into the center of a crime wave, but I am trying my hardest to make the best out of it. I know that you were upset that you saw that ad, and believe me, I feel terrible that I didn’t get a chance to talk to you about it first, but sweetheart, that’s no reason to be rude, now is it?”

Paige took a deep breath. “You’re right. I’m sorry. But Mom, I know who that girl is. I know you don’t like hearing it, but she’s a big part of what went wrong between me and JJ. So I hope she’s not going to be your new roommate or whatever, because I plan to come back to see you all the time, and I can’t do that if she’s here.”

Eve looked scared for a fraction of a second, but she hid it well, saying only, “Of course she’s not. Look, I don’t know who that girl is, but I don’t like her. Besides, you saw her condition. Do you think I want some girl here who’s about to pop out a baby? There’s hardly enough room in your bedroom for one person, sweetheart, so there’s no way we can fit a crib and a carriage in there. Besides, I’m too old to be changing diapers, and you know a girl like that isn’t going to do a thing for her baby herself.”

“So Jill’s not moving in?”

“Is that her name? I didn’t even catch it.”

Paige put her hands on her hips.

“No, baby, you don’t have to worry. You will never see her when you come over.”

Paige’s phone buzzed. “That’s Daphne,” she said, “getting impatient. You’d better hope you got rid of that Jill, Mom, because if I see her when I come to visit you… well, I don’t know what I’ll do. Now good night.”

“Wait,” Eve said as Paige picked up her box. “You’re not… you’re not staying here until your things are all moved?”

“I took all my bedroom and bathroom stuff,” Paige said. “But I’ll be back tomorrow, Mom, while Daphne’s in class. I promise.”

“Well, don’t I at least rate a hug before you disappear out the door?”

Paige sighed. She put her box down again and said, “Of course, Mom.” She hugged her tight, but as they pulled away, she said, “Don’t think I’ve forgotten about Jill, though. I mean it, Mom. If she takes over my room, it’s like a slap in the face.”

“I understand, honey. Don’t worry. The last thing I want is to hurt you.”

There was a knock on the door and Daphne said, “Paige, we gotta go! Come on!”

Paige picked up her box and went out the door without another word. Eve watched her get in the elevator with Daphne. Daphne said something that made Paige laugh, then the elevator door closed. Eve closed her own door and sunk into the couch. “You had better not ruin everything for me, Jill!” she said aloud. She flipped through her phone, thinking hard. “I have to find some way to neutralize you.”

Chloe stood over Parker’s bed, watching him sleep, putting her hand to her mouth to fight the tears she was tired of crying.

“Why don’t I give you some space?” Jennifer said softly. “I’m sure Daniel will be back soon, and I can’t imagine anything better for Parker to see when he wakes up again than his mom.”

“Thanks,” Chloe said.

Chloe ran her hands through Parker’s hair as Jen left. He opened his eyes and smiled at her. “Mommy!” he said. “You came!”

“Of course I did, sweetheart. How are you feeling?”

Parker sat up. “No more dizzy,” he said, grinning broadly. Chloe forced herself to smile back.

“Get up?” Parker asked.

Chloe didn’t have the energy to tell him to talk like a big boy the way she usually did when he tried those baby sentences with her. “Um,” she said, “We’ll ask Daddy if it’s a good idea when he comes back, okay?” Parker pouted and she said, “How about… I sing you a song instead?”

“Okay.”

Chloe closed her eyes as she began to sing to him from some Broadway play. Daniel and Nicole came into the doorway behind her, but Daniel put his fingers on his lips and waited until Chloe had finished before coming into the room.

“Daddy!” Parker said.

Chloe turned to greet him. She frowned when she saw Nicole. “Well, look what the cat dragged in,” she said. “What were the two of you doing that was so much more important than dealing with our son’s health?”

Reactions: YPG
“Thanks for meeting me,” Hope said. They were sitting in Marlena’s office talking during one of Marlena’s breaks. “I know you have a full case load, but I didn’t know where else to turn, and I thought you might be able to help.”

“Of course. What can I do for you, Hope?”

“We really aren’t getting anywhere with this case. The victims are too traumatized to remember many details, and anyway the guy attacks from behind.”

“I see. Were you hoping I could give you a psychological profile of the robber?”

“That might help, but actually, I was wondering if you thought that hypnotizing the victims would be able to yield details that they can’t consciously remember. Anything they saw or heard might give us a lead we can work with to shut the perp down before he hurts anyone else.”

“Well,” Marlena said, “hypnosis can certainly elicit those types of details. I would be concerned, though, about whether the victims are strong enough to handle it. Even though I would take care to make sure they don’t remember anything consciously after the session, the process itself could be unnecessarily traumatizing. You see, hypnosis requires a certain surrender of control. The patient has to trust me absolutely in order to accept being put into a hypnotic trance in the first place. For victims of violent crime, that can be an upsetting proposition. The crime itself triggers feelings of powerlessness and hopelessness, so they may want to hold onto whatever bit of control they have.”

“So that’s a no go then.”

“Not necessarily. Some victims may be in a place where they can handle it. If not, there’s another technique we can use, called cognitive re-enactment. Basically, what we would do is have the victims re-enact the scene, with one of your officers playing the role of the attacker. The idea is that by re-living the traumatic scene in a safer context, the victim may remember something that he or she blocked out of conscious awareness. It might even be helpful to their healing as well, as they are totally in control of the activity.” Hope nodded and Marlena said, “Talk to each of your victims and see if you can get them to consent to a short interview with me. I’ll decide which option is healthier for them and we’ll take it from there.”

“Thanks Marlena.”

“Oh and Hope?” Marlena said as Hope got up. “I have absolutely no doubt that you will find this criminal. But I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t remind you not to lose perspective. This is only one part of your life. Make sure you’re keeping it in balance, both for your own sake and for that of your child.”

Hope looked puzzled, but she nodded.

Bev could hear the shower going as she approached Cole’s apartment. Good, she thought. Maybe I won’t have to actually deal with him. She was wearing tight jeans and a shirt that showed more than she really liked showing, just in case.

She tried the front door--Cole was stupid enough to forget to lock it half the time--but today it was locked. She took one of the clips out of her hair and used it to unlock the door. It wasn’t easy to do; she made a mental note to get Cole to give her a key.

Bev opened the door as quietly as she could and tiptoed inside, closing it behind her. Cole’s apartment was a huge mess; there were papers everywhere and of course he hadn’t bothered to throw away the paper plate from last night’s pizza. Bev wrinkled up her nose in disgust but she kept looking around until she found his phone.

The shower was still going as she picked it up and went into the call and text logs. She saw a call to the 800 number they’d given everybody after the robberies first started. Tip line, she thought. That’s weird. There were also a bunch of calls to a number she didn’t recognize. She put the number into her own phone so she could check it out on Ewe Search later.

Bev was concentrating on that, so she didn’t hear the shower turn off. Cole came out into the living room, his towel wrapped around his torso, and wearing nothing underneath but his boxers. “What the hell are you doing in my stuff?” he demanded.

It was already starting to get dark as JJ cut through the park on his way home. He thought he heard leaves rustling behind him, but he ignored it. I’m not on campus now, he thought, so the robber’s nowhere near me. I just gotta quit being paranoid.

The rustling got louder and closer. JJ started walking more quickly. He looked over his shoulder and thought he saw a tall guy a little bit behind him. He walked faster, but so did the guy behind him, or was it his imagination?

No matter how fast JJ walked, he couldn’t shake the guy. He turned suddenly, heading out of the park, towards Horton Town Square. As he started to go through the gates, the guy caught up to him, putting his hand on JJ’s shoulder.

JJ reacted instinctively. “Look, dude,” he said quickly, putting his hands up, “take anything you want, but can you please just leave my guitar alone?”

“Dude, relax,” Kurt said. “It’s just me, Kurt. Who’d you think it was?”

Nicole’s eyes narrowed. “Is there something in the Salem water that the minute anyone steps foot in town, they have to find something to blame me for? Seriously, Chloe, your child is sick and all you can do is take shots at me?”

“Look, Nicole, I’m sorry you can’t have children, but adopt one of your own! Don’t go confusing Parker by pretending to be with his dad when we all know that the first chance you get, you’ll find a way to make it blow up in your face.”

“Jealous much? News flash! You don’t own Daniel just because you had a child with him. Or was it with Philip Kiriakis? No, I was right the first time, but just for fun, why don’t we check Lucas Horton’s DNA?”

“Both of you shut it!” Daniel said. “My son… our son, Chloe… he may not be at his best right now, but he is not… he is not deaf and he is not blind, and seeing two of the people who care most about him in the world at each other’s throats, that is only going to upset him.”

“Daniel’s right,” Kayla said from behind them. “This isn’t the time or place for petty disagreements.”

“I’m sorry,” Nicole said quietly. “I shouldn’t have lost my temper and said… well, most of what I said. Even if it is all true.”

“Nicole…,” Daniel said.

“Don’t engage her,” Kayla said. She turned towards Nicole. “Right now Daniel and Chloe are facing a family crisis. Out of respect for that, I think you should give them some space.”

“Right,” Nicole said. “When I lived with Daniel last year, I put Parker down for naps and played with him and got him from preschool when Daniel couldn’t. I was the one watching him when this all started and I was the one who got him to the ICU. But I’m not good enough to stay in the room when he’s just been diagnosed with a life-threatening condition? Yes, I want to support Daniel, but has it ever occurred to you that even though I don’t have any blood tying me to Parker, that I don’t want to lose him either?”

“Nobody doubts that you care about Parker, Nicole,” Kayla said firmly, “but you aren’t acting in his best interest right now. If you want to help, go. You can come back later when his parents have had a chance to absorb the news about his condition.”

Nicole looked at Daniel but he said, “Why don’t you go do that other thing we talked about? I’ll catch up with you later.”

“Can I at least give Parker a hug?” Nicole asked. Daniel nodded and she went over to Parker, hating that she had to ask permission. She tried to put her pain aside as she sat down on the edge of the bed next to him. “Hey little guy,” she said, blinking back tears. “How you doing?”

“I wanna go home,” Parker said, sniffling.

Nicole put her arm around him. “Trust me, we all want that. But you know what? You’re getting better and better, so you keep doing that and one day soon you’ll be in your own bed again begging for another story before bed. And I will give in and read you one.” She hugged him tight. “I have to go, sweetheart,” she said, her voice breaking.

“Noooo,” Parker whined.

“I don’t want to, believe me I don’t.” Nicole held back her tears so she wouldn’t upset Parker further. “I’ll be back as soon as I can, okay?” She kissed the top of Parker’s head.

“One more hug,” Parker begged. Nicole gave it to him without a second thought.

“Sorry I scared you, dude,” Kurt said as JJ pulled away.

JJ scowled and hurried towards Horton Town Square. Kurt followed. “Look, I’m worried about my brother, and neither one of you is taking my calls, so I had to take drastic action.” He glanced at the empty tables near where they were standing. “Can we sit down and talk a minute?”

JJ crossed his arms. “Depends. Are you sober?”

“What?”

“Look, dude, I’m not one to judge. You know that. But Rory told me what went down the other night, and it wasn’t cool, man. He was counting on you, and you were so wasted you let him down.”

“Whoa, slow down little dude. I don't know what you’re talking about.”

“I know you don’t.” JJ’s anger was rising. “It’s easy for you, cause you wake up the next morning and it’s like nothing ever happened. But Rory, he remembers.” JJ turned his back on Kurt. “He remembers how he couldn’t go home cause the you were so messed up on booze you tried to attack him.”

Kurt pinched the top of his nose. “Wait… hold up a second…you’re saying… Rory did swing by?” He sighed. “No wonder he’s not talking to me, man. I kinda overdid it that night.”

“Come on, man, you know it’s not the first time. Rory, he told me that’s pretty much what happens every night.”

“That is so not true, JJ. You gotta believe me, dude. Come on, could I hold down a job if I was drunk out of my mind all the time?”

“I don't know. That job doesn’t seem like it takes a lot of brains.”

“You’re mad too. I get it. But just listen for a second.” Kurt’s eyes were wide and JJ almost felt sorry for him. “I… I used to have a drinking problem,” Kurt said. “Rory was just a little kid, he probably doesn’t remember, but I was 12, 13 years old when I took my first drink. Anyway, a couple years back, our mom had enough and she told me it was either the booze or a roof over my head, and out I went. These last few years, though, I got it together, and when Mom went the same route with Rory, I told him, man, I told him, if you stay here it’ll be a good time and I promise I won’t get drunk, maybe do a little weed, maybe drink a little, but getting bombed’s a thing of the past.” He laughed to cover his embarrassment. “Guess I screwed up, huh?”

JJ didn’t say anything for a second. He was trying to figure out what he felt. He was angry still but at the same time, he could see Kurt was just a messed up person like Rory was, like JJ himself had been.

“Look,” Kurt said, “I get Rory wants a little space, but he’s still my brother. Have him… have him call me, will you dude?” JJ nodded, and Kurt got up. “I guess I’ll let you go, man,” he said. “Thanks for looking out for Rory and, you know… for the chat and all.” He took off before JJ could say another word.

JJ slumped down in his seat. “Hope I did the right thing, man,” he mumbled.

Cole took a step towards Bev, his hands curled into fists. “Don’t even bother making up a lie,” he said. “Forget what you’re doing in my stuff, what the hell are you doing in my house?”

Bev batted her eyelashes and said, “You mean you didn’t leave the door open for me?”

“Don’t be cute.” Cole was standing very close to Bev now. “If that’s what you wanted, you should have just got in the bed. Now that would have been hot. But no, you came here and rifled through my stuff. Now you know I don’t like anyone touching my stuff, don’t you?” He pushed her, but she kept her balance. “Answer me, *bleep*.”

“You’re right. I’m sorry. I just wanted to charge my phone.” Bev had the scared, innocent girl routine down pat. It had saved her *bleep* with the cops more than once; hopefully it would work the same on Cole.

“I don’t believe you.” Cole pushed Bev again. She backed away from him but he kept advancing. “You’re a liar, Bev, and nothing but trouble.”

“Takes one to know one,” Bev said in a half flirtatious, half scared tone. She tried to back up more, but tripped over the bed post. Cole pushed her again, forcing her onto the bed.

“Yeah,” Cole said, holding her down and getting on top of her. “It does.” He ran his free hand through her hair and put his lips on her, kissing her lightly. Bev squeezed her eyes shut as his hand traveled down to her jeans. Just let this be over quickly, she thought.

Suddenly, Cole stopped. “Like I’d ever do it with a skank like you,” he said, and spit in her face. “Get the hell out, and if you want some ever again, you’d better remember how to not *bleep* me off.”

Marissa was also lying in bed. After the phone call with her mom, she was more exhausted than ever. She’d wrapped herself in the blanket like she was a caterpillar in the cocoon. It had always made her feel safe and protected to do that.

She couldn’t sleep, though. Her conversation with her mother kept swirling around and around her head, getting mixed up with her memories of seeing Rory get arrested and conversations with Detective Brady and the attack itself.

Her phone rang. Marissa glanced at it and saw it was Detective Brady calling. She hit the ignore button, then got out of bed and threw her purse over her shoulder. If I want peace, there’s something I have to do, she thought.

Daphne had wanted to take Paige to the student center to chill out, but Paige wanted to go to Club TBD instead. Now they were sitting at one of the tables, drinking coffee to get ready for their big move.

“I still don’t get it,” Paige said. “Mom acted like she’d never heard of Jill, but when it happened she wanted to see the photos, so she should have remembered who she was. But why would my mom have any connection with someone like that?”

“Why is this such a big deal?” Daphne asked. “I mean, yeah it’s weird, but so what? It’s not like you’re going to have to live with her or even see her again. All sorts of people come to try to rent rooms. Trust me, it was a coincidence.”

“No,” Paige said. “You don’t know my mom. When it comes to her, there are no coincidences.”

“Even if she does know Jill, what does it have to do with you? Unless…” Daphne stirred her coffee. “Are you thinking about giving JJ another chance?”

T, who was coming over to their table, turned around and walked away. Paige couldn’t see the expression on his face as she looked up, but he called, “Ben! Can you get this table for me? It’s past time for my break and if I end up doing overtime, Sonny will kill me.” Paige sighed and excused herself so she could go talk to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cole knocked three times in succession at Jeff’s door so Jeff would know it was him. Jeff let him in, silently, and closed the door.

“Glad you called, dude,” Cole said. “Got me out of a tiff with my loser girlfriend.” Jeff’s face was stone cold, with no hint of a smile. Cole sat down on the edge of the bed. “What’s up?”

“What’s up is this,” Jeff said quietly. “Thanks to you and your stupid idea to set up that stoner, I’m going to have to suspend the business. I can’t do much now because even the cops can figure out that Rory’s not guilty if I keep breaking into dorms while he’s in jail.”

“It’s not my fault he fought back,” Cole said. “How was I supposed to know he had it in him?”

“I was better off alone,” Jeff said. “Now I have to get the cops’ attention off me before I can do anything else. And when I get back in business, I’m gonna go solo for a bit. “

Cole’s eyes flashed. “You can’t do that man. When I gave you Rory you promised me a cut, remember?”

“And it failed, remember? A cut of zero is zero.”

“Going solo would be pretty stupid,” Cole said. “When I stumbled onto your plans, I could have gone to the cops, but you offered me a sweeter deal.”

“That was before your prints got all over my knife. See, I’m smart enough to wear gloves when I’m working. Apparently, you’re not. Besides, the cops would never listen to you.”

Cole scowled.

“So we’re agreed,” Jeff said. “You’re gonna lay low and stay out of my way. If I need you, I’ll call you.”

Cole nodded. For now, he thought. But just for now.

Kayla turned towards Chloe and Daniel. “I don’t think I need to tell either of you that making a scene like that isn’t good for Parker’s recovery. If anyone bothers you, just page me or Maxine and we’ll take care of it.”

“I’m as much to blame as Nicole was,” Chloe admitted. She sighed. “I’m not really mad at her. It’s just… I can’t do anything about Parker’s condition, and I just found out about it, and instead of being here with us, Daniel was with her, and…”

“And you lashed out at her because you can’t yell at Parker’s disease,” Kayla said. “Look, what I said to Nicole wasn’t just a nice way of telling her to get out of here. It’s really true that both of you are dealing with a ton of emotions now. I can’t even imagine what you’re going through.”

“You’re lucky,” Chloe told her.

“I am,” Kayla agreed. “If it was Joey, I don’t know what I’d feel or what I’d do.” She hugged her clipboard to herself. “Look, emotions are going to run very high. I meant to tell you both this earlier, but you didn’t stick around so I thought it could wait. We do have a counselor on staff who specializes in helping families deal with this type of news. Maybe it would help both of you to talk through your feelings with her.”

Daniel crossed his arms. “No.”

“I know you’re probably not comfortable talking with a counselor, but trust me, Daniel, it doesn’t mean you’re weak or crazy.”

“I don’t have a problem with shrinks,” Daniel said. “Sometimes they can be a godsend and I have referred a ton of patients who actually needed mental health services to Marlena. But me, I don’t need to talk to somebody, and even if I did, this, uh, this Dr. Harper, she is the last person I want inside my head.”

“So you’ve met her.” Kayla gave Daniel a sympathetic half-smile. “She may not be very impressive on first meeting, but trust me, she knows exactly what she’s doing. So if either of you are interested - “

“You can forget about it, at least as far as I go. Not with her, not with anybody.”

“Chloe?”

Chloe shook her head slightly. “All I need is to spend as much time with Parker as I can.”

Paige hurried up to the front counter, just in time to see T sliding out the back door. She followed him.

“Um, Tad?” Paige said.

T turned around. “It’s T, not Tad, and following people into alleyways doesn’t strike me as a good idea.”

Paige crossed her arms. “I came out here because I thought maybe you were upset, but now I don’t know why I bothered.”

“Neither do I.”

Paige turned, intending to walk away, but T said, “But I don’t think it’s you.”

“What do you mean?”

“Look, I’ve seen a lot of pretty girls come into the club, and I’ve even tried to go on dates with a couple of them, but it just never works out. There’s always someone waiting in the wings who’s better than me, at least in their eyes.”

Paige sighed. “You might not believe this, especially since I’ve been pretty mean to you, but lots of girls think you’re cute. Daphne, the friend I’m with, she really likes you.”

“And you?” T sighed. “You don’t have to answer. Look, JJ’s a standup guy. I don’t know what happened between the two of you, but if you’re ready to give him another chance, don’t let a second-class chump like me get in the way.”

Paige shook her head. “JJ and me… we’re like two ships that passed in the night. We should have been meant for each other, but we just… weren’t.” She pushed her hair behind her her ears. “Look, the reason I’ve brushed you off isn’t because I don’t like you. It just really hurt when I lost JJ and I don’t want to go through it again. My mom, she’s always saying, all guys will hurt you, just stay home.”

“Your mom doesn’t know what life’s about if she thinks that.”

Paige scowled. T said, “There I go putting my foot in my mouth again. I just mean, I get not being ready, but don’t decide never to be ready again, you know?”

The back door opened just then and Ben stuck his head out. “Hey T, the afternoon rush is starting early. Sonny wants you on the register.”

“I gotta get back to work,” T said, “but, I don't know, maybe we can continue this conversation later?”

Paige nodded.

Marissa sat across from the housing person, trying to smile. The woman’s face was all business, and she seemed robotic to Marissa, but there was no one else who could handle this.

“And why do you need to move?” the woman asked.

Marissa’s eyes narrowed. “Why do you think?”

The woman looked her up and down. “I’m trying to help you; don’t get snippy with me.”

“Look,” Marissa said, “I don’t feel safe, okay? I know the guy who attacked me is long gone, but every time I walk into my room, it’s like he’s there. I can’t keep checking my locks and lying in my bed thinking about the attack. If anyone ever needed another room, it’s me.”

“Let me see what I can do,” the housing woman said. She typed something into her computer. “Unfortunately, there are no more single rooms available. Now if you’re willing to take a roommate, there’s a room open. Wait, no, it looks like another girl has already taken that spot.” The woman sighed. “It doesn’t look like there’s anything available right now, Miss. I’m sorry.”

“You don’t understand,” Marissa said. “I can’t stay in that room.”

“If you find an apartment somewhere, we will refund your housing deposit, given the circumstances. Otherwise, I’m afraid you’ll just have to live with this room for the rest of the year.”

“I. can’t. stay. in. a. room. where. I. don’t. feel. safe!” Marissa said, emphasizing each word to try to get through to the woman.

“There’s nothing more I can do for you. If you can’t deal with it, see a counselor to help you get over this.” The housing woman turned back to her computer, making it clear the conversation was over.

Paige went all the way around to the front of Club TBD before going back in to sit with Daphne. “There you are,” Daphne said. “I thought maybe you had a change of heart and went back to your mom’s.”

“Of course not.” Paige was annoyed. “I just didn’t want that bartender to think I was following him back inside.”

“So you do like him.” Daphne smiled, showing off two rows of perfect teeth. “Oh Paige, this is going to be so great. A total new beginning for you. New home, maybe a new boyfriend…”

“It’s not that serious,” Paige objected.

“We have to drink a toast.”

“Aren’t you too young to drink?”

Daphne gave Paige a look. “With soda, Paige. Relax.” She called Ben over and ordered two ginger ales, asking for them to be put in champagne flutes.

The sodas came. Daphne picked hers up right away. Paige followed suit, looking off into the distance as Daphne said, “To starting again and living your life the way you want to!”

Jeff came into the club just then. He stood in the doorway, looking around. His eyes locked with Paige’s as she and Daphne clinked glasses.

After leaving the hospital, Nicole went for a walk to clear her head. As she headed towards the park, she saw JJ on one of the benches, holding his guitar but not playing.

“JJ,” she called, trying to smile. “Just the man I wanted to see.”

“Um...okay.” JJ plucked one of the strings, then turned a tuning peg. “I’m actually kinda glad I ran into you too. I didn’t want to bother Daniel, but um, I wanted to know how his kid was doing.” He looked at Nicole’s tear-stained face and said, “I’m guessing the news isn’t good?”

“Not especially, but I’ll leave that for him to tell.” Nicole watched JJ continue to tune his guitar while she debated whether it was the right time to bring up her proposition. “Listen, JJ,” she said at last, “I don’t know if Daniel told you...actually he probably didn’t, what am I thinking?...anyway, I’m supposed to be looking for a college kid to take up some space in the office, and if you’re interested, the job’s yours.”

JJ gave her a puzzled look. “What would you want me for? I’m not, like, a news major or anything.”

“Believe me, you won’t be doing anything that’s out of your league. Seriously, JJ, don’t sell yourself short. Back when your mom and I were on speaking terms, she told me how you saw through Liam way before anyone else did. I need someone with those kinds of instincts. Besides, I heard a rumor your dad was one of the best reporters this sleepy little town has ever had--that’s got to be in your blood.”

“I guess.” JJ glanced down at his guitar. “My dad, he passed a lot of things down to me, but being able to write and stuff, that one he gave to Abigail, not me.”

Nicole was silent for a few seconds, thinking. “Tell you what,” she said. “How about I give you something to do, and if you get it done, the job’s yours?” She flipped through the pictures on her phone til she found the one of Jeff she’d uploaded the night before. “I need to find this guy. You get him to me, you’re hired.”

JJ glanced at the photo. “Jeff?” he said, surprised.

“You know him?”

“He’s in a couple classes, that’s all. All he ever talks about is how he’s gonna do a story that, like, blows you away so much that you hire him.”

“I hate to burst his bubble, but... no, actually I don’t. He tried to scoop me on my own story, so his chances have gone from zero to about negative 150 million.”

“So what do you want with him?”

“Do you really need to know?” JJ gave Nicole a look and she said, “It’s nothing nefarious, JJ, I promise. Stop looking at me like I’m going to stuff him into an empty refrigerator or something. I just want to let him know that I’m onto him and that his plan isn’t working. So what do you say? Will you do it?”

JJ put his hand to his chin, thinking. “I want something from you too.”

“I’m giving you a job, the ability to train your investigative skills under one of Salem’s top underused reporters, some experiences you can use to enrich your music. What else do you want?”

“I need to know what’s really going on with these robberies.”

Abigail was sitting on the couch, eating pasta, when Jen came through the door. Jennifer smiled at her daughter, or tried to. “I’m glad you’re here, honey.”

“What’s wrong?” Abigail got up, putting down her bowl. “Want some pasta? I made a batch of tomato sauce to go with it.”

“Thanks, Abigail, but I ate something on the way home from the office.” Jen sank down into the couch. “I do need to tell you something...and your brother too. He’s not home, is he?”

Abigail shook her head. She watched her mother rubbing the bridge of her nose and said, “What’d JJ do now?”

“What?” Jen’s mouth dropped open. “Oh, Abigail, no. Your brother’s just fine. I just… could you do me a favor and text him to come home right away?”

“Okay…” Abigail took out her phone. “But why can’t you do it?”

“I can. He’s just more likely to listen to you.”

Abigail put the phone down and sat down next to her mother. “Okay, Mom. Spill it. What’s really going on with JJ?”

Jen stared into space. “I don’t want to say anything until I hear your brother’s side of the story,” she said, twisting her ring, “but between you and me, I think JJ is starting to make some bad choices again.”

“Oh no, Mom. You mean, drugs, and… and acting out, and…”

“No, Abigail, nothing like that. At least not today. Your Aunt Maggie says we have to concentrate on what’s going on now, not what he might do later, and I am really really trying, but honey, Hope gave me some disturbing news today.”

“What news?”

Jen shook her head. “I have made so many mistakes with him, Abigail. I think talking about what he’s done behind his back without even giving him a chance to explain himself is probably another one. When he gets home, I’m going to need you to give me a few minutes alone with him.” She took her daughter’s hand. “But just know that if it’s what I think is happening, we’re all going to have to be stronger than we were last time. We’re not going to let your brother start self-destructing again.”

Abigail’s eyes were wide as she nodded and squeezed her mother’s hand back.

“Take a number,” Nicole snapped. “Everyone wants to know, and the cops aren’t saying anything. Even I can’t get anything out of them.”

“Guess you don’t need me that bad, then,” JJ said. “I’ll just try to find out on my own. Have fun looking for Jeff.”

“Wait, JJ, come on. Isn’t there anything else you want to investigate, besides Salem’s number one sensationalized crime spree?”

JJ shook his head. “My friend’s life depends on it. Nicole, someone set him up. He got robbed the other night but whoever did it, they made it look like he’s the bad guy. You help me, we can be the first ones to break this.”

Nicole thought for a minute. “You drive a hard bargain, JJ Deveraux,” she said. “Okay, but only cause I’ve grown to like you and don’t want you getting killed trying to unmask a violent criminal on your own.” She took out her phone. “Give me your number and we’ll get this rolling.”

Marissa didn’t want to go back to her dorm room, or even stay on campus, after talking to the housing woman. She went to Horton Town Square and wandered around aimlessly, thinking about what the woman had said. She stood in the same spot where JJ had stood the other day, looking at the bookstore window. The article she’d seen online flashed into her head and she tried to imagine him smashing the bookstore window. In her mind’s eye, though, she came up just as the cops were taking JJ away, and tears started rolling down her face as she chased after him…

She snapped back to reality. I have to stop having these weird daydreams, she thought. She went to the coffee shop and sat down, slowly, not really sure of where she was or what she was doing. She picked up her phone and dialed a number. “Dr. Evans? This is… this is Marissa Hunter. You know, the… the girl you saw in the hospital who was attacked?” She swallowed hard. “I… I think I might need to make an appointment.”

Jennifer and Abigail were both sitting on the couch, eating, when JJ came in. “I got your message,” he said to Abigail. “What’s up?” He looked at his mother. “Oh God,” he said. “Did… did something happen with Parker? I… I’ve been meaning to call Daniel, but I…”

“That’s sweet of you to worry, honey,” Jen said. “Daniel got some bad news about Parker, but he’s fine… well, stable, anyway, and guess what? Parker’s mom came to town to help take care of him until he makes a full recovery.”

“Chloe’s back?” JJ asked. “You sure you’re okay with that, Mom? I mean, I know what she did to you and Daniel before.”

“Oh, we decided to bury the hatchet. Parker’s more important than all that old stuff.”

“Mom,” Abigail interrupted. “What’s going on with Parker?”

“I think Daniel should tell you himself, if he wants to.” Jen blinked hard. “I know it’s hard for all of us--” she gave JJ a pointed look--”but we have to adjust to the fact that I’m not his other half anymore.”

“Do you think I should call him?” Abigail asked.

“If you want.” Jen was too nonchalant, making JJ even more suspicious that something was going on with her that she wasn’t saying. “First, do me a favor and get your brother some of that delicious pasta you made. I want to talk to him for a minute.”

Abigail left the room. JJ, crossing his arms, turned towards his mother. “Okay, mom,” he said. “What’s really going on?”

“Come sit down, honey,” Jen said. Her voice was even, but her eyes were hard and her lips thinned, and JJ knew he was in trouble for some reason. “I think we should talk,” Jennifer said, “about how you almost got arrested today.”

Nicole let herself into Daniel’s apartment, since she’d promised to house sit after all, though there wasn’t much for her to do there. No one had been there since Parker had gotten sick, and Daniel’s apartment was as neat and tidy as ever. It all looked too normal.

When she sat down on the couch, she was suddenly overwhelmed with memories. She remembered the time she and Daniel had kissed by accident but decided to forget about it, the time Daniel had comforted her after Eric had accused her of rape, the discussions they’d had about JJ when he was newly sober and Nicole didn’t trust him yet. She remembered the day she decided to move out and Daniel had kissed her cheek and asked her not to be a stranger. She remembered playing games with Daniel and Parker. Tears rolled silently down her cheeks as she kept thinking about everything she could have had if she’d pursued Daniel instead of Eric.

Her phone rang. Nicole breathed deeply as she answered it. “Hello?” she said, trying to sound normal. “Miles! I was about to call you. I found a - No, Miles, I didn’t have any luck tracking Jeff Adkins down yet. What? No, we shouldn‘t reconsider him. In fact, I hired someone else. You know what? I know it’s a shock to you, but I have other things going on, so you’re just going to have to wait til the morning.” She hung up.

There was a knock on the door just then. I am not answering that until I get a glass of wine, Nicole thought. Whoever was there knocked on the door again while she was pouring it.

She opened the door, wine glass in hand… and found Eric standing on the other side.

Next Time...

-JJ's new job could have dangerous consequences.
-Paige may be getting in over her head after some unwanted attention.
-Daniel renews ties with more than one person over Parker's health crisis.

“Nothing happened, Mom,” JJ said, crossing his arms. “I swear.”

“It didn’t sound like nothing from what Hope said.”

“Hope wasn’t there. She didn’t see the way the cops looked at me… it was like, the second they saw me, they saw that guy I used to be, that screwed up kid who did nothing but cause trouble.”

“Well, honey, you know, if you hang out with people like Rory, the police are going to be suspicious of you.”

“Rory wasn’t doing anything either, Mom. It was a misunderstanding.”

“A misunderstanding? JJ, if the police thought Rory was involved in the robberies, they had to have had a reason. That didn’t just come out of nowhere.”

“Cause someone set him up! But you know what? It doesn’t matter, cause people like you, they’re always gonna think people like Rory and me are up to no good no matter what we do.” JJ’s eyes flashed. “I get you don’t trust Rory, Mom, but I swore off all the crap I did a long time ago… aren’t you ever gonna get past it?”

“It’s not about that! Yes, I trust you, of course I do, but you don’t see what you’re doing. I’ve had life experiences you just haven’t had yet, sweetheart, and so I know, without a doubt, that if you keep hanging around people like Rory who are doing these destructive things, you’re going to become like them again. It’s already started,and you just don’t see it.” Jen shook her head. “You are spiraling out of control, JJ!”

“Mom, quit freaking out. Nothing happened. I’m fine. I’m not doing drugs, I’m not messing with people’s stuff. I’m just going to school and hanging out with my friends after. What’s so bad about that?”

“I know you aren’t going to like this,” Jen said, “but I’m going to have to lay down the law, honey. No Rory. Not here, anyway. And now I’m not just asking you to come home by 10. I’m telling you. In fact, maybe you should do your studying at home for a while.”

JJ tried hard to control himself. “Mom,” he said quietly. “You’re flipping out over nothing.”

“It’s not nothing, JJ! Don’t you realize how close we came to having this conversation from the opposite sides of a jail cell? You may be 19 years old, JJ, but you’re going to have to live by my rules from now on, and if you can’t do that, there will have to be consequences.”

JJ crossed his arms. “Like what, Mom? You’re gonna, what, kick me out of the house? Call Hope on my *bleep* like you tried to do when Theresa OD’d?”

“Stop it, JJ.” Jen was upset and JJ was glad for it. “I’m trying to help you, honey. You just don’t see it, but someday you will.”

“Yeah?” JJ’s eyes blazed. “You mean like the way Eve helped Paige see I wasn’t good enough for her?”

“I am nothing like Eve Donovan!”

“Keep telling yourself that, Mom, but when you flip out you are!” All of JJ’s anger from everything that happened today seemed to be boiling over; he couldn’t stop himself. “You know why you and Eve hate each other? Cause you’re alike in all the worst ways and you don’t want to admit it. No wonder you and Daniel broke up. He could only take so much, Mom! He would have been with you but you screwed it up trying to control him. And all that makes you just like Eve!”

Jen gasped. As her eyes widened, JJ realized he’d gone too far. He stared down at the ground, wishing he could take back what he’d just said.

Daphne’s soda splashed, spilling all over her as she and Paige clinked glasses. “Oh my gosh!” Paige said, turning around. “I’m so sorry. I should have been paying attention. Just that guy over there - “

“He was staring at you. He’s not bad looking, but really Paige, I think T is a better choice. Or at least a less creepy one.” Daphne got up. “No biggie though. I’ll just go grab some napkins and get cleaned up a little.” She hurried off in the direction of the bathroom.

Paige didn’t see Jeff come up behind her because she was watching Daphne go. “This is probably the lamest pick up line ever,” he said, “but haven’t I seen you at Salem U?”

Paige turned around. She vaguely remembered the guy. “Music theory, right?” she said. “Though I dropped it, so you probably haven’t seen me for a while.”

“That’s right. It’s a real shame. You brightened up that dreary room.” Jeff smiled at Paige and she smiled back despite herself.

“I--I had to drop it,” Paige explained, suddenly feeling nervous. “I’m pre-med and I got this internship at the hospital, so something had to go.”

“I’m an intern too. Journalism, though.”

“Yeah? Working on something interesting?”

“You might say that.” Jeff glanced at Daphne’s soda glass. “Oh, are you here with someone? I don’t want to interrupt.”

“My friend Daphne. She’ll be back soon. I spilled something… clumsy me, right?” Paige giggled. “Anyway, you were saying about your internship?”

“Well, I’m covering these robberies on campus.” Jeff leaned in close. “I know things about them that nobody else does.”

“I heard they were going to make an arrest,” Paige said, ignoring his obvious attempt to flirt with her. “Is that true?”

“I can’t really say.” Jeff deliberately looked around the room. “But between you and me, there’s a guy sitting in jail right now waiting to be charged. His name is, um…” he glanced down at his tablet. “Rory something. He’s one of those stoner kids who barely survives academically and lives for those moments in the woods, if you know what I mean.” Paige’s mouth dropped open and Jeff said, “Wait… you know him? You don’t seem the stoner type.”

“I-I’m not. I just… knew someone who knew him once.”

“Tell you what. Here’s my card. Have your friend get in touch with me. I’d love to get an exclusive on this.” Jeff glanced over Paige’s shoulder as he handed her a card. “Here comes your girl friend. Let me get out of your way so you can enjoy your evening.”

Paige played with the card as Jeff disappeared, remembering how her mother had said that JJ or his friends were involved with the robberies. Oh my God, Mom, she thought. How did you know?

“Daniel’s not here,” Nicole told Eric, starting to close the door.
“I know. Actually, he told me you would be here, so I thought this would be a good time for us to talk. Can I come in?”
“I guess.” Nicole’s eyes widened. “But I hope you aren’t here to rake me over the coals about some newly unforgiveable thing you’ve convinced yourself that I’ve done, cause I have tell you, this game of grind Nicole into the ground is getting old, and I’m getting tired of playing it.”
“Actually,” Eric said, “I came to apologize. I have been beside myself with pain and fear, Nicole, and I took it all out on you. I know that it’s more than I deserve, but can you ever forgive me?”

Snapping back to reality, Nicole realized she and Eric were staring at each other, not speaking. “Eric, hi,” she said, trying to keep her voice even. “I… I didn’t expect to see you here.”

“I could say the same about you.” Eric looked off into the distance at a point beyond Nicole’s shoulder. “I just heard about Daniel’s son and I thought he might need some support. Is he here?”

“He’s at the hospital.” Nicole let irritation creep into her voice. “He’s spending every minute he can with Parker.”

“Of course.” Eric started to walk off, but as Nicole began to close the door, he turned around. “Nicole,” he said. “I know this probably doesn’t mean much considering the source, but I’m glad Daniel has you right now.”

“Me too,” Nicole said. “It wasn’t that long ago that he was firmly on the Nicole-hating side of the fence.” She pushed her hair behind her ear. “Um… Eric?”

“Yeah?”

“I know there’s no hope for you and I…” Nicole played with an invisible ring on her finger, right where her engagement ring once was,, “...but do you think we could ever at least be friends again? I mean, Daniel forgave me, so… could you?”

“I’m sorry, Nicole, but right now it seems like Daniel’s a better man than me, at least in the forgiveness department. I wish you the best, but beyond that, there’s nothing. No feeling, no anything.” Eric shifted his weight. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I want to go see how he and Parker are doing.”

JJ took a deep breath. “Mom, I…,” he began, his voice a lot softer. “I’m sorry. I - ”

“There are some things, JJ,” Jen said quietly, “that apologies after the fact can’t fix.”

“I… I know. But Mom, I really didn’t mean that. I…”

“Not another word, JJ. Not right now.” Jen turned her back on JJ and for one horrible moment he thought she was going to tell him he wasn’t welcome in the house anymore. Then she said, very softly, “I don’t want either of us to say one more thing that we can’t take back.”

“M-me either.”

“I know you have been hurting since you and Paige broke up,” Jen went on, “and it tears me up to see you in so much pain. But don’t you ever take Eve’s interference with the two of you out on me again, do you understand me?” JJ nodded and Jen said, ruefully, “I can’t hear you nodding, so I hope that’s what you’re doing.”

“It is.” JJ bit his lip. “Mom?” Jen turned towards him, and he could see the hurt and the sadness in her face. It made him feel worse. “Um,” JJ said, slowly, “I… I don’t want things to go back to the way they were before… you know… before I straightened up.”

“I don’t either,” Jen said, her voice soft.

“I know what this Rory thing looks like, but I swear to you, it’s not how it seems.”

“I know you don’t understand this, honey, but it’s not what Rory did or didn’t do that worries me. It’s you. I know how full of anger you’ve been since your father died, but if you don’t have the sense not to talk to the police the way you just talked to me, they could put you in jail just to teach you a lesson. And when Hope told me how close that came to happening today, JJ, my heart jumped into my throat. So please, honey, let me help you control yourself before it’s too late.”

“You’re way overreacting, Mom, I swear. Nothing’s gonna happen. Can you please just trust me?”

“Okay.” Jen sounded defeated. “If you say so. But just know this, JJ. If I get another call to pick you up at the police station and have to see you in handcuffs, or worse, on the other side of a jail cell… that will break my heart so badly that I don’t know if I can take it.”

“Understood.” JJ stood looking at his mother for a second. “It won’t happen. I promise.”

There was a long line of people checking in to the Salem Inn. Jill put her hand on her stomach, pretending she was feeling for her baby kicking, but really she just wanted to get finished and get into her room.

Finally, it was her turn. She gave the desk clerk her most winning smile and said, “I need a room for like, the next week or so.”

“Payment up front,” the clerk said. “$85 per night, or $400 for the whole week.”

Jill pulled the bills out of her blouse that Eve had given her. She counted them. “I only have $60, but if you give me an hour - “

“Sorry, we need the entire payment up front.”

Jill pouted. “Can’t you like, let me give you a deposit to hold it, and then in an hour come back with the rest?” The desk clerk shook his head and she said, “Come on, don’t you have any sympathy for a girl in my condition? God, Joseph and Mary didn’t have this much trouble when Jesus was about to be born.”

“Actually they did,” some person behind her said. “Move it, lady, none of us has all night.”

Jill turned towards him. He was an older man, suit and tie… her favorite kind of trick. “You paying?” she said. “I’ll make it worth your while.”

“Why should I?” the man said. “Why should any of us pay for you? Why should this young man--” he squinted to see the clerk’s name badge--”Dustin or whatever his name is--make exceptions to the rules for you? Let me tell you something, honey. The world doesn’t owe you anything. So take yourself and your lack of self-respect somewhere else, cause there’s no real room for it in Salem.”

Jill glared at him, then turned back towards the clerk. “It’s not that I don’t have the money, it’s that I don’t have it on me. Can’t you hold a room for like, 15 minutes while I go get the rest of the cash?”

“Sorry.” The clerk pointed to a sign that said, PAYMENT IN FULL DUE UP FRONT. NO EXCEPTIONS. “If you get the cash, come back and try again, and if we’re not full we’ll do what we can. But you can’t stand here holding up my line any longer. Now if I were you, I’d go before these people behind you lose their patience and decide to call the cops.”

Jill made a point of moving slowly, but she got out of the way. She picked up her phone and stared at Eve’s number. No, she thought, I’d better not push my luck with that *bleep*. She pulled her purse over her shoulder and walked out, holding her head as high as she could so that all the idiots staring at her wouldn’t think they’d won.

When Maggie came to sit with Parker, Daniel took Chloe to the cafeteria for a quick cup of coffee. “You holding up okay?” he asked her.

Chloe shrugged. “When I was driving down from Chicago, I thought, it’ll be better when I get there. I couldn’t stand not knowing what was going on with him, not knowing how serious it was. So in a weird way, knowing his heart’s failing… it’s like a relief. It’s an answer. But in another way… it’s like trying to wake up from a nightmare and realizing you’re just falling deeper into it.” Chloe paused to sip her coffee. It was too hot and burned her tongue, but she didn’t care. “You’re really going to go see a patient tonight, Daniel?”

“Believe me, I don’t want to. I don’t want to be away from Parker.”

“Then don’t be.”

“This patient needs me too. I know I should prioritize Parker’s illness over all these other people’s, but I just can’t. It… it keeps me going, Chloe, so I can be there for Parker.”

“You never did meet a problem you didn’t think you could solve,” Chloe said. She half-smiled. “Tell you what. After your patient, go home and get some sleep. I’ll stay with Parker tonight.”

“I’m okay,” Daniel told her. “Sleeping on a cot next to Parker, it’s not so bad.”

“Yeah, but I want to spend some time alone with him too. Please, Daniel, if we were all at home, it’d be my turn to have him. Can you let me have tonight in the hospital with him?”

Daniel sighed. “I see your point,” he said.

“You don’t like it.”

“I missed so much of his life, Chloe, but I figured… I figured I had a chance to make up for lost time. But now? I don't know, odds are he’s gonna be fine but every second with him counts for more than it ever did before. It’s bad enough I gotta leave him to go see patients and do rounds… leaving him overnight… it’s just out of the question, Chloe.”

“And how do you think it feels for me? Look, Parker’s had a rough four years, okay, with him being bounced around from you to Philip and back again, and me not being stable for most of it… and now he might not… he might not even make it to five…” Chloe blinked back tears. “I’ve also missed so much, and I… I also deserve to spend time with him. Please, Daniel, let me just have tonight. Let him know for once that his mommy loves him too, let him have some memories of me being there for him during this awful time.”

Daniel was quiet for a long time. “Okay,” he said at last. “Tell him I’ll… I’ll call to say goodnight like I do whenever he’s with you.”

Maxine came into the cafeteria. “There you two are,” she said. “The radiologist’s ready to do Parker’s chest X-ray now, and I thought one or both of you should be there.”

As JJ disappeared up the steps, Abigail came back from the kitchen, holding a bowl of pasta. “JJ!” she said. “Don’t you want something to eat? It’s my homemade tomato sauce.”

“Maybe later, Abs,” JJ said. “I gotta…” He ran up the steps without explaining what he had to do.

Abigail looked at her mother. “What just happened?”

Jen sank into the couch. “Believe me, honey, you don’t want to know.”

“Well, I heard you yelling at each other, and then...nothing. So everything is definitely not okay.”

“I really don’t want to talk about it, sweetheart.” Jen tried to smile at her daughter. “Let’s talk about you instead. Things seem to be getting serious between you and Ben.”

“Yeah, I guess.” Abigail shrugged. “I mean, yeah, we’re spending a lot of time together and I’m, like, practically living there, but if you’re hinting that you want to attend a wedding any time soon, I hate to disappoint you. We’re just dating, that’s all.”

“Abigail Deveraux!” Jen feigned shock. “Me, hinting? No, honey, not at all. I just love that you’re so happy, and honestly, I could use some happy news right about now. So tell me, what’s Ben like? I mean, he seems sweet, but I really haven’t had the chance to get to know him.”

“He is sweet,” Abigail said. “And protective. And loyal. And Mom, he just decided to go back to school. He and JJ might even end up in the same classes.”

“That’s great, honey. What’s he going to study?”

“I’m not exactly sure.” Abigail glanced at the steps. “Don’t you think I should go try to talk to JJ? Sometimes when you can’t get through to him, I have better luck, and if he’s really headed down a bad path…”

“No, Abigail, don’t. Your brother’s fine. He’s just… he has some things he has to figure out for himself, that’s all.”

“If you say so.” Abigail sighed. “I just feel so useless, knowing that something’s up with JJ and not being able to do anything about it.”

“No,” Jen said firmly. “No, we are not going to do that. Not this time. Think about the positives in your life. Do you have plans with Ben tonight?”

“I did but I’m thinking maybe I should cancel. You need me. JJ needs me.”

“Honey,” Jen said, “listen to me. I have learned the hard way that if you push someone away every time something in your life is less than perfect, after a while they’ll stop coming back.”

“Is that what happened between you and Daniel?”

“A… a lot of things happened there, and it’s too complicated to go into, but yes, Abigail, I was afraid that if he saw that I wasn’t this strong superwoman, I wouldn’t be good enough for him. And I don’t want to see that happen to you and Ben. So go. Be with Ben, have a good time if you can, and if you can’t...let him hold you, sweetheart. Give him the chance to be there for you, don’t cheat him out of it because of some stupid need to be perfect. Take it from me, Abigail, pretending you don’t need him is just not worth it.”

“Okay, Mom.” Abby seemed stunned. “I guess I’ll go then. You’re sure you’re all right?”

“Positive.”

“And you’ll call me if anything changes with…” Abby looked up at the stairs again.

“Of course, sweetheart.”

Jen and Abby hugged. “I guess I’ll see you later,” Abigail said, pulling her purse over her shoulder. She turned back at the door, and waved to her mother. “I love you.”

“Love you too.” Jen tried to smile.

The door closed behind Abby. Jen sighed. She picked up her phone and flipped through the contacts, then made a phone call. “Kim? It’s Jennifer. How are you? No, everything’s fine, as far as I know. I don’t think Theresa’s been bothering JJ recently, though I know as much as you do. Anyway, the reason I called is I have a question for you that just can’t wait.”

Hope was on her phone when someone knocked on her office door. “Marissa,” she said into the phone. “This is Detective Hope Brady again. I know you’re frustrated with the progress on your case, but please call me back. I want to talk to you about something you can do to help us catch this guy. This is my personal cell, so you can call anytime. Even if you can’t get to the phone til 11, 12 at night, it’s okay. Just please, give me a call.”

Whoever it was knocked again as Hope hung up. I hope that girl’s all right, she thought, sighing, before calling, “Come in.”

Eve Donovan came into the office, clutching her purse. Hope could feel her head beginning to pound as Eve came further in. “Eve,” Hope said. “Are you here to report a crime?”

“What? Oh, goodness, no, not yet anyway. I’m sure though that that’s coming any day now though, now that my daughter’s moved right into the center of where all those violent attacks are taking place. Now the front desk sergeant tells me he can’t say anything about the case, but he’s sure my little girl is safe. Is he telling me the truth or do I have to get my lawyer on the phone to find out my options if anything happens to her?”

“I’m sorry I haven’t had a chance to talk to Paige. I’ve been busy trying to catch this guy so that you--and she--don’t have to worry about her safety. So if that’s what you’ve come to check on, I’m going to have to ask you to excuse me.”

“Wait just one minute,” Eve said. “There’s something else that’s come up that I need to ask you about.”

Hope rubbed her temples. “What is it, Eve?”

Eve played with the clasp on her purse. “This is kind of embarrassing,” she said, “but a while ago I tried to do a good deed for a working girl… you know, try to give her a chance to avoid that kind of life… anyway, the poor girl is out of her mind and now that Paige’s moving out, she’s got this crazy notion she’s gonna move into that room. Now, I’d like to do it, of course I would. If anyone knows what it’s like out there on the streets for those kinds of girls, it’s me. But I just can’t…”

“Of course not,” Hope said. “Nobody should just let a stranger move in with them just because the person seems to have fallen on hard times. Especially not if you know she’s engaging in criminal activity.”

“I just knew you’d understand.”

“If she’s bothering you, one of the uniforms can take a report, and then if she comes around again we have a basis for arresting her. That is, if we don’t bust her for prostitution first.”

“Arresting her? Oh no, that’s not what I want at all. I guess I just have too big a heart, but I know how tough it is for this girl, especially now that she’s… well, in the family way, you know? Now I talked to her about getting into a homeless shelter but she wasn’t interested. So what I’m wondering is, can you dispatch some of those handsome men in blue to take her to the St. Lukes shelter anyway, whether she wants to or not?”

“Sorry, Eve. There’s no law requiring homeless people to seek shelter. If you really don’t want her in your home, your only option is to call 911 if she won’t leave.”

“Even though she might be putting her baby in danger by staying out there on the streets?”

“Look, if she seems like she’s a danger to herself or her unborn child, we can get her into a hospital for a few days. But otherwise, I’m sorry, there’s really nothing I can do. Now I really can’t spare another minute, Eve, so if you don’t mind…”

“Of course. You’ve been more helpful than you realize.”

Eve walked out of the station. “A mental health hold might be just what the doctor ordered,” she said to herself. She made a face. “I hate to go that far, but if you leave me no choice, Jill, that’s just what I’ll have to do.”

The lab technician had already brought in the portable X-ray machine by the time Chloe and Daniel got back to Parker’s room. The technician handed them lead aprons and told them to put them on.

“So what’s this test for again?” Chloe asked as she put hers on.

“The doctor’s going to take a look at the size of his heart,” the lab technician explained. “We’re going to need him to lie still; can one of you hold him?”

“I’ll do it,” Chloe said. The lab tech showed her exactly how he needed Parker to lie so that she could hold him still. Daniel took his hand.

“I don’t like it,” Parker said when the X-Ray machine began to hum. He started to cry. “No, no, I don’t like it.”

“It’s okay,” the lab tech said. “Just keep holding him. Crying won’t mess up the results.”

“No,” Parker sobbed, working his way up to a tantrum. “no, no, no, make it go away.”

“Ssh…” Chloe was blinking back her own tears. “It’ll be over in just a second, it’s okay…”

The X-ray flashed. “Hold still for just a few more seconds,” the technician said, “and then we have to turn him around and take one from the other side.”

“I don’t think he can handle it.” Chloe’s eyes were wide. “Daniel, do something, I don’t think they should make him do this.”

Daniel turned to the tech. “Any chance Dr. Collins can get what she needs with just one picture?”

The tech sighed. “Risky. She probably can, but she wants an image from both angles so that she can double-check what she’s seeing.”

“He’ll be fine,” Daniel decided. “Let’s get this over with.”

“You hold him then,” Chloe said. “I can’t… he’s gonna fight me and I just… I can’t make him do it.”

“We can come back later,” the lab tech suggested. “Maybe after a break he’ll be more amenable to another X-ray.”

“Yeah, do that,” Daniel told him. The lab tech collected the lead aprons and took the machine away.

Daniel sat down on the edge of the bed, Chloe in the seat next to Parker. Daniel rubbed the bridge of his nose. “He was the same way about the blood test,” he said. “He… every one of these tests is gonna be a new traumatic event for him.”

“It’s a good thing I’m here then,” a voice said. Daniel and Chloe looked up to see Elizabeth Harper standing in the doorway.

“So what do you want to do first?” Daphne asked Paige. “Unpack or check out the campus?” Paige was staring off into space and didn’t answer. “Earth to Paige,” Daphne said. “Hello?”

“Sorry.” Paige stared at the table. “Um, I guess unpack. I’m not really in the mood for socializing on campus.”

“Okay, what happened now?” Daphne asked. “It was that weird guy, wasn’t it? What did he say?”

Paige bit her lip. “JJ’s friend Rory was arrested for the robberies,” she said. “I can’t believe it. I talked to him… I mean, it was months and months ago, but we all sat in JJ’s living room studying for finals last year. How could he turn out to be this violent felon?”

“Paige.” Daphne’s voice was firm. “Don’t believe everything you hear. I bet you anything that Rory got picked up for some other stupid crap.”

“No, Jeff was pretty clear. He said Rory was in jail for the robberies.”

“That guy. Now I know where I’ve seen him before. He’s a wannabe sleazy reporter, thinks he’s a big shot but really he doesn’t know anything about anything.” Daphne shuddered. “Ugh, please don’t tell me you’re actually into him.”

“What? No! Ick.” Paige took a sip of her soda. “He’s just a good source of information, that’s all.”

“Yeah, if you like lies and innuendo. Paige, forget about him. You have a room to unpack and then we should go to the student center and celebrate. Our first night on campus. This is going to be great.”

Paige pushed away from the table. “That sounds good,” she said. “But can you give me a little bit? There’s something I have to take care of real quick.”

“Paige...”

“It’ll be less than half an hour. I promise. I’ll meet you at the room.” Paige grabbed her purse and ran off, leaving Daphne to shake her head.

Marissa was sitting on a park bench, staring at her phone. Her missed calls log was full of calls from Detective Brady. She sighed and shook her head. “How stupid was I, thinking the police would actually do anything to get the guy who attacked me? I’ve watched enough TV to know it never works out that way.” She blinked back tears. “Sorry, Detective Brady, if I want justice I’m going to have to track down this animal myself.”

It was starting to get dark. Marissa looked over her shoulder to make sure nobody was watching her as she continued playing with her phone. She opened her Salem U Social account and logged in quickly so that she could access the student directory. “If you go to school with me, I will find you,” she mumbled. She flipped through pictures quickly, hoping for some sign that she was looking at her attacker.

She hesitated when she came to JJ’s picture. His eyes were full of life and she half smiled, then sighed. She flipped past his photo, then changed her mind and went back to it. She looked into his eyes again, then scrolled down and clicked the button under it that said “Add as friend on Social.”

A shadow fell over her, and she looked up, her eyes wide with fear. A woman was staring at her--the woman was pretty and blonde, though her makeup was overdone, and she was very obviously pregnant, though she didn’t look like she was much older than Marissa.

“What are you doing here, honey?” the woman said. “Don’t you know what this park’s like at night?”

Jennifer glanced at the steps, then lowered her voice so that JJ wouldn’t overhear. “After Theresa’s overdose, how did you stage that intervention?”

In her home in LA, Kim put her feet up on a chair across from the one she was sitting in. “Oh dear. JJ isn’t doing drugs again, is he?”

“No, no,” Jen reassured her. “It isn’t that, not yet anyway. But Kim, he’s spiraling out of control and he won’t listen to me. He’s hanging out with that bad crowd again and starting to get into trouble. I have to do something before it’s too late.”

Kim sighed. “I’m really not the best one to talk to about this, honey. I can’t exactly say that I’ve had any success in getting Theresa to turn around, or even getting her to talk to me. If you really want to do an intervention, I think Maggie is probably a better person for you to talk to. I understand she’s kind of the go-to gal for drug and alcohol problems. But tell me what’s going on. Maybe there’s some other way I can help.”

“He…” Jen blinked back tears. “Oh, Kim, I don’t even know where to begin. He’s been so distant since he and Paige broke up, and so full of rage again. I should have done something earlier, but as usual with him, I’m the last to know that something’s wrong.”

“I know the feeling.” Kim sighed. “I’m sure you did already, but I have to ask...have you tried talking to him?”

“Of course. Kim, he mouthed off to a cop today and almost ended up in jail, but trying to confront him about it didn’t accomplish anything.”

“He just lashed out at you and insisted he knew what he was doing.”

“Yes. So what do I do to get through to him?”

“Oh, honey, I wish I had the magic answer. But really all I have is advice about what not to do. When Jeannie… I mean Theresa… anyway when she was JJ’s age I was so scared for her and her out of control behavior that I did everything completely wrong and just ended up alienating her totally. I’ll be lucky if she calls me for Christmas, and every time she’s thinking about visiting me, somehow she changes her mind. So learn from my mistakes, Jen. Don’t push JJ away. You absolutely should state your concerns, but then after that, as heartbreaking as it is, you have to back off him, let him make his own choices.”

Jen shook her head. “I can’t let my son ruin his life.”

“Oh Jennifer, I never said this was easy. Of course you want to jump in there and protect him from himself. But honey, with you in the middle, if things blow up in his face he’ll think that if only Mom hadn’t interfered everything would have been fine. If you get out of the way, it’s all on him.” Kim’s leg began to cramp; she rubbed her ankle. “Look, maybe JJ will make the right choice and maybe he won’t - “

“And if he doesn’t, this time I don’t think anyone’s going to come along that can keep him out of jail.”

“Nobody wants that to happen, of course we don’t. But the good news is if you leave him alone, he’ll still have a mom in his corner he can lean on to try to put his life back together when he’s ready. Otherwise… well, like I said, there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t miss my Jeannie and wonder where the hell I went wrong.”

Jen was silent, blinking back tears, thinking. Kim said, “If you decide you do want to do an intervention, call Maggie. And Jennifer, keep me in the loop, okay? I know sometimes when people leave Salem it’s out of sight, out of mind, but as far as Shane and I are concerned, you’re still like family.”

Hope went to the front of the police station to meet Jeff. “Thank you for coming in,” she told him. “Let’s go to my office so that we can go over the details of your attack again.”

As they headed back, they passed Rafe in the hall. “Hope!” he said. “You still working? Thought you’d be back home tucking your kid into bed by now.”

“You know how important this case is,” Hope replied. “If we don’t clear up some of these discrepancies, we might have to let the suspect go, so I wanted to get Mr. Adkins’ statement as soon as possible.”

Hope and Jeff went into Hope’s office. Jeff plopped into a chair without being asked. He sat up straight, a half-smile on his lips, as Hope picked up her notebook. “Now, Mr. Adkins,” she began.

“I’m glad you’re interviewing me this time,” Jeff said. “Between you and me, I don’t think that Hispanic dude really knows what he’s doing. I guess he hasn’t had a lot of high-profile cases like this.”

Hope looked Jeff in the eye. She was tempted to tell him she knew that he was trying to antagonize her and that it wouldn’t work, but she didn’t want to tip her hand. “I’m sure you didn’t come here to gossip about my partner,” she said. “So let’s stick to the facts of this case. Tell me again from the beginning what happened.”

“Dr. Harper,” Daniel said. “I appreciate that you have a job to do here, but Parker’s mom and I are trying to absorb - “

“Relax, Dr. Jonas,” Elizabeth said lightly. “I’m not here to try to get inside your head. Not today, anyway. I told you I was going check on how Parker is handling his illness. From the looks of things - “ Chloe glanced at her and Elizabeth seemed to notice her for the first time. “Oh, hello. You’re the mother?”

“That’s me,” Chloe said. She gave Daniel a look. He shrugged.

“I’m glad he has both parents here now. That’ll help.” Elizabeth came all the way into the room. “Now, from the sound of it, Parker is having a hard time with all the tests they have to run on him. Needles and machines are scary, aren’t they, Parker?”

Parker turned his head away and said nothing. “I told you,” Daniel said. “He doesn’t talk to strangers.”

“Well, that’s all right. He and I will get to know each other soon enough. In the meantime, I’m going to leave this here.” Elizabeth fished around in her bag and pulled out a toy. It looked like a miniature hospital. She put it on the stand by Parker’s bed. “If you want, Parker, you can play with this. You can make the dolls inside get X-rays or needles or anything else that scares you. You can even ask Mommy or Daddy to play it with you.” She turned towards the adults again. “Encourage him to act out his feelings in play. It’ll help him feel more in control. I’ll come back probably a couple times a day so he can get used to seeing me and we’ll take it from there.”

There was a knock on the door. Daniel turned to see Eric. “Looks like you have company,” Elizabeth said. “I’ll get out of your way for now.”

Rory was sitting on his bunk when he heard the guard say to someone, “Two minutes, and that’s it.” He looked up to see Paige coming around the corner towards his cell.

“What’re you doing here?” Rory asked, getting up. “Don’t tell me the second I got locked up, JJ made a boneheaded decision and got back with you.”

“I can’t believe I didn’t see it,” Paige said, her voice soft. “All the time you and me and JJ spent together last summer, I never realized you were so violent. How could you, Rory? What, you needed a few dollars for weed and you didn’t care who you hurt?“

“You got it all wrong, as usual,” Rory said. “I never bought you were half as smart as JJ said you were supposed to be.”

“Don’t make excuses. Actually, do. I want to see what you’re going to come up with to try to get out of this.”

“Here’s one,” Rory said. “I didn’t do it.”

“Yeah, right.”

“Go home, Paige. Feel nice and safe cause I’m behind bars.” Rory flopped back on the bed. “There’s plenty of people who believe me, and the funny thing is, none of them came running down here to spout off crap while I’m locked up that they’re too chicken to say the rest of the time.”

“Look, I didn’t come here to be mean to you. I just… why would the police arrest you if you didn’t have anything to do with it?””

“You don’t get it, as usual. Look, why don’t you ask that new girl JJ was with when the cops grabbed me? She was so mad, she made JJ come with her so they both could raise hell about locking up the wrong guy.”

Paige blinked hard. “JJ...has a new girlfriend?”

“Don't know. I’d just met her like two seconds before it all went down. But she’s definitely hot. I’ll tell you something else too. I could tell she’s the kind of girl who doesn’t think twice before going after what she wants, and one look told me, she wants JJ.”

Jen heard JJ coming down the steps. She composed herself, taking some deep breaths and wiping her eyes so he wouldn’t see she’d been crying.

“I really appreciate you taking the time to see me,” JJ said to someone on the phone. “Yeah, I’m heading out right now.”

“JJ?” Jen asked as JJ hung up the phone. He turned towards her, a strange look that she couldn’t quite read on his face. “Um…” Jen got up. “I’m not trying to pry, honey, but if that was Daniel you were just talking to… just keep in mind he’s going through a lot with Parker right now and it may be best to give him some space.”

“I know,” JJ said. He shifted his weight as he thought about what he wanted to say. “Don’t worry, Mom, I’m not going to *bleep* about you or anything. I… uh, that was Mr. Jennings I was talking to.”

“Why?” Jen asked. “JJ, is there something more to what happened today than what Hope told me?”

“No.”

“Are you sure? Because if you’re in trouble, I’d rather you just tell me.”

“You’re not gonna like this, but okay.”

“What… what is it?”

“It’s a favor to Rory. He needs a lawyer, a good one.”

“JJ…”

“I know what you’re gonna say, but look, Mom, Rory’s my friend and I want him to have the best chance. Look, if Hope had gone to him like I asked instead of running over here to get you all riled up about me, I wouldn’t have to do this. But it’s gotta be done, so I’m taking it into my own hands.” JJ pulled on his coat. “I’ll be back soon. I promise.”

“JJ, wait,” Jen said as JJ opened the door. “Please.” JJ turned and she said, “I’m sorry about earlier, honey. I don’t mean to be so hard on you. But you know me, I worry about you. Maybe too much, but it’s better than not caring at all, right?”

“I know, Mom. I’m sorry too. Really. About everything.” JJ sighed.

Jen held her arms out, and JJ let her hug him. “I love you, Mom. I wish I could take back every stupid thing I ever did to you and to Abs and to Daniel. I think about it all the time and no matter how sorry I am, I know it’s never gonna be enough to make you trust me again.”

“I do trust you,” Jen told him. “It’s just that I remember being your age, and the stupid things I did, and I don’t want you to make those same mistakes.” Jen adjusted JJ’s collar. “Go so you don’t keep Mr. Jennings waiting,” she said. “Just promise me, when you come home, you won’t avoid me.”

“I’m not - “

“Please, honey, I need to hear it.”

“I promise.”

JJ left. Jen watched him go. I’m going to have to do something, no matter what Kim said, she thought. But what?

“I could ask you the same thing,” Marissa said. “If the park’s no place for me, it’s no place for you either.”

The other woman blinked back tears. “Do you think I want to be here? I don’t know what your story is, but I bet you have nice parents, a nice place to live. Me, I did one stupid thing, made one mistake, and I ended up pregnant. I thought my parents would help me out, but they told me Jill, if you’re old enough to have a baby you’re old enough to take care of yourself.” Jill sniffed. “And now, I’m $25 short of a hotel room, and my friend’s apartment won’t be ready for another week, and I don’t know what to do.”

Jill sat down on the bench next to Marissa without being asked. Marissa slid over, not wanting to get too close to this girl. “You really came here from wherever you were without any plan?” Marissa asked, sliding her phone into her purse before Jill could ask to use it.

“Hey when things get bad, you do what you have to do.” Jill sighed. “I hate to ask this of a total stranger, but do you think you can lend me $25, just til tomorrow? That way I have a place to stay tonight, then tomorrow I can get to the bank and take it out to give back to you.”

“I don’t think so.”

“Come on. A girl like you with a real nice purse and real nice clothes doesn’t have a single dime to give to someone like me? I swear I’ll pay you back.”

Marissa didn’t like the way Jill was eyeing her purse. She grabbed it and held it tight against herself. “I’ve already been robbed once,” she said, “and I’m not gonna let you make me a victim a second time. Now leave me alone!” She got up and hurried away.

Jill watched Marissa leave, puzzled. Wonder what her story was? Jill thought. I can’t be losing my touch that quick.

Daphne could tell something was upsetting Paige as soon as Paige showed up at the dorm room, but she didn’t feel like dealing with any more drama. She smiled and said, “So glad you’re finally here! Let’s get started.”

“Okay,” Paige said flatly.

“I brought up both boxes,” Daphne said. “Let’s get your bed set up first, then we can worry about the rest.”

“Right.”

Daphne crossed her arms as Paige went through the motions of opening the box of bedroom stuff and digging out her sheets to put on the bed. “Come on Paige,” she said. “This is supposed to be, like, one of the happiest days of our lives so far, but tonight it’s been one thing after another. Is it always like this with you?”

“What, are you having second thoughts?” Paige glared at Daphne, then went back to pulling at the sheet to try to stretch it across the bed.

“No, of course not. I just hate seeing you so unhappy. I thought moving to the dorms would be good for you or I never would have pushed it.”

“It is good for me.” Paige finally got the sheet on. She picked up her pillowcase. “Change is always a little rough, that’s all. My mom and I, we’ve moved dozens of times, and every time, I always got attached to the place I used to be. Mom would always tell me not to care too much because nothing lasts forever, but I couldn’t help it. No matter how much I knew we were going to pick up and move again, I fell in love with wherever we were.”

“Ohhh.” Daphne smoothed out a wrinkle in Paige’s blanket. “Feeling homesick is normal, even if you only live on the other side of town. Believe me, I felt it at first. I would have gone home the first weekend but my parents wouldn’t let me. They said I had to adjust to living here. And they were right. Paige, once you get past this we’re going to have so much fun! There’s study groups, and ice cream socials and parties… you’ll see.”

Paige shrugged.

“Where’d you go, anyway? To see your mom one last time?”

“Not exactly.” Paige sighed. “I don’t want to talk about it, Daphne, it was stupid.”

“You went to see JJ?”

“No! Daphne, I said I didn’t want to talk about it.”

“Sorry, sorry. You’re right. The bed’s all made--now let’s get started on decorating.”

After JJ had told Aiden about Rory’s arrest, Aiden said, “I hate to tell you this, JJ, but it sounds like the police have your friend dead to rights on the weed charge.”

JJ slumped down in his seat. “So there’s nothing you can do for him?”

“I didn’t say that. You might not know this about me, but I don’t give up that easily. We can’t deny that your friend had the drug in his possession, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the police had the right to search him.”

JJ’s eyes lit up. “You mean, like, they went through his pockets when they shouldn’t have?”

“Exactly. And if that’s the case, they can’t use it against him. Now there are two ways we can argue this. We can either go for the search being illegal or we can go for the gold and try to argue they didn’t have cause to arrest him. “

“They didn’t,” JJ said. “They were going off the say so of the guy that tried to rob Rory.”

“Okay, well, I’ll start by getting a copy of the police report. So the two of you were hanging out, having coffee with your other friend… what’s his name?”

JJ blushed. “Marissa.”

“Strange name for a boy,” Aiden joked, but JJ just blushed deeper. “I’m guessing this is a date that didn’t exactly go according to plan?”

“It wasn’t a date. It was just...coffee.”

“Mmm hmm. Well, anyway, I might need to get her version of events too after I’ve read the report.” Aiden closed his notepad. “Now, before I get started on this, is there anything else you want to tell me about how this arrest went down?”

JJ scowled. “Has Hope been talking to you about me, too?”

“I already told the other cop everything,” Jeff protested. “Why are you wasting my time getting it all again?”

“I know this is a pain,” Hope said, “but I’m not doing it just to be annoying. The suspect you fingered is telling us a different story, so we have to go over everything again so that the district attorney feels comfortable pressing charges.”

“Of course he is.” Jeff’s eyes flashed. “That guy would say or do anything to save his own *bleep*. He’s a liar, always has been, and always will be, and I hope he finally gets what he deserves.”

“So you’ve had run-ins with him before?”

“Not really. I don’t really… I mean, I don’t hang out with stoners and losers like him. I’ve just heard things. It’s all over campus. People are always complaining about that guy.”

Hope wrote that down. “Let’s shift gears a minute,” she said. “I’m going to show you some pictures of the other victims. If you know any of them, let me know.” She pressed a button on her tablet and showed Jeff the pictures she had shown Marissa before, plus one of Marissa. She watched carefully as Jeff looked at each picture. He spent a long time on each one, but he had his head down, so she couldn’t see the expression on his face. Finally he looked up and shook his head. “Sorry. I wish I knew them. Then maybe I could explain why this happened.” He slid the tablet back over to Hope. “Hmm…,” he said. “I know this isn’t the right time to say this, but you know, I’m interning for Nicole Walker, and landing an interview with any of these victims would really impress her.”

“They’re not talking to the press.” Hope’s voice was hard. “And you can tell Nicole to stop asking you to try to get information on this case, because there isn’t any to give.”

“Come on, there has to be something. I mean, this is a huge case, so - “

“Do you have anything else to add to your statement about what happened to you? If not, you’re free to go.”

“Back up a second there. Why would Hope have been talking to me about you?” Aiden asked JJ.

“I… I don't know. No reason really. I guess I just figured…”

“What, that because Hope and I are dating, the first thing she’s going to tell me is, ‘Guess who was a witness to an arrest my officers made today?’ I don’t know what type of pillow talk you engage in, kid, but neither of us thinks of that as a good time.” Aiden gave JJ a stern look. “Now, what did you do that you’d rather Hope not tell me? If it’s got anything to do with this case, I think you’d better let me know before I go to court and make a fool of myself. Otherwise, you can feel free to tell me to mind my own business.”

“The cops that arrested Rory, they hated me. I swear, Mr. Jennings, I didn’t do anything, but they had it in for me and if they could have, they would have taken me to the police station just for the hell of it.”

“Let me stop you right there. That’s not a story. That’s a bunch of excuses. What happened?”

“Okay. When they first arrested Rory, I tried to tell them he hadn’t done anything, but they wouldn’t listen. They told me to shut up and I did. But then they found the weed, so I asked them if they were gonna charge him with it. I swear, Mr. Jennings, that’s all that happened, but according to them, I was way out of line and just lucky they didn’t slap cuffs on me too.”

Aiden sighed. JJ said, “Look, my mom and Hope both already gave me a lecture about how bad I screwed up, so can you do me a favor and keep yours short?”

“How’s this?” Aiden said. “Don’t act stupid while the cops are arresting someone.”

JJ reddened but said nothing. Aiden said, “None of that should affect the outcome of the case, thankfully, even if the cops did think you were trying to help your friend get away with something. So when’s the bail hearing? Tomorrow?”

“So you will take the case?”

“Well, we’ll see. I’ll at least do his bail hearing. It shouldn’t be too complicated.”

“One more thing,” JJ said as he got up. “I probably should have said this at the beginning, but um, Rory… he doesn’t have a lot of money.”

Aiden paused for a second, then he said, “Tell you what. Every once in a while I do a good deed. The rest of the time I find other ways to make people pay if they don’t have the money. After the bail hearing, I’ll work it out with your friend. Sound like a deal?” He held out his hand, and he and JJ shook on it.

“I’m sorry,” Eric said as he came in. “Was I interrupting something important?”

“Not at all.” Daniel put on his best face. “I’m glad you stopped by. I’m not sure you’ve met Parker’s mom. Chloe, this is - “

“Father Eric,” Chloe said. “Of course. I mean, I never had the chance to see you at the parish, but I kept in touch with Father Matt until the end, and he really thought a lot of you.” She sighed. “I miss him.”

“Me too. St. Lukes is still accepting donations in honor of his memory, but I know that’s not the same. For me either. There are so many times I wish I had the benefit of his advice just one more time. Anyway, I’m not a priest anymore...it’s just Eric now. I’m sure Daniel’s told you.”

“Oh. Yeah, he has.”

There was an awkward silence, then Eric said, “Anyway, I didn’t come to discuss all that. I heard about Parker’s illness and I thought I’d stop by, see if there was anything I could do to help.”

“I wish there was, man.” Daniel sighed deeply. “Right now looks like all we can do is wait for them to finish running tests and decide on his treatment.”

Eric looked at him. “I hope you’re not losing faith. When I was at my lowest point, you reminded me to keep mine, and even though things didn’t work out the way I had hoped, that keeps me going every day now.” Daniel sighed and Eric asked, “Do you need to go someplace to talk?”

“Nah, I’m okay… at least for now. But thanks.”

“There is one thing you can do,” Chloe said. She took her rosary out again and played with it. “I prayed over Parker earlier, but I’d really appreciate it if you would… lead us in prayer.”

“Of course.” Eric took Chloe’s hand. Daniel stood watching them. Eric held out his other hand. “Daniel?”

Daniel hesitated. “I, uh, I think I’d better leave this one to you and Chloe. Thanks though.”

“You don’t have to say anything,” Chloe told him. “Just… just be with us. Please.”

“I hope I’m not speaking out of turn, but Chloe’s right. Just look at Parker and think about how much you love him and want him to get better. That’s all praying is… you don’t need to have the words.”

Daniel nodded. He moved into the prayer circle. “Take my hand,” Eric told him, “and Parker’s, and just let all of our desire for healing carry you.” Eric closed his eyes and began saying the Our Father.

Rafe headed down to the holding cells before heading out for the night. Rory was eating the tray of food the guards had given him; he looked up and said, “Didn’t know you gave such good grub around here. Maybe I’d have got myself locked up earlier if I knew I’d be getting the best food I’ve had in a couple months.”

“Yeah, well, I’m sure you don’t want to stay with us one minute longer than you have to.”

“What’s up?” Rory asked. “I mean, I’ve never got a personal visit from a cop before, so something big must be going down.”

“I wanted to update you on what we talked about earlier. It’s only fair.”

“And? Am I beating the rap?”

“The DA’s leaning that way, but she’s not all the way there.” Rafe sighed. “Looks like you’re gonna be spending the night here after all.”

Rory put the food aside. “That sucks,” he said. “Look, dude, I don’t mind being locked up for the weed cause that’s kinda the way it works, but this all started cause of something I didn’t do, and that’s not cool.”

“You’re right, it’s not. For what it’s worth, I believe your story, and I hope it all goes your way tomorrow. But word of advice?” Rafe leaned in close and said, quietly, “Stop smoking weed and we won’t have anything to hold over your head.”

“Can’t do that, dude,” Rory said uncertainly.

“Your call,” Rafe said. “But like you said, this all started cause of something you didn’t do...think about if it’s worth it.” He walked off.

Marissa decided to go back to her dorm room after all. Being in the park was just as scary, especially after talking to Jill; at least in the dorm, there were other people around, and she could always call the RA if she needed someone to talk to. It wasn’t ideal, but it was better than nothing.

As she got out of the elevator, she saw a half-open door down the hall. She tiptoed towards it, feeling like running away but also feeling it was her duty to make sure nobody else was being attacked. She held her phone tightly in her hand as she crept towards the door.

Inside, she heard girls’ voices, laughing. “Let’s try this poster again,” one of them said, “and maybe hang it a little less crooked.” She straightened up and saw there were half-empty boxes in the room, and a girl she’d never seen before, with long dark hair.

Marissa stood silently watching for a minute, trying to decide whether or not to knock on the door. She vaguely remembered her first day on campus, how the dorm was full of people moving in, most of them with their parents. She was the only girl who had come alone, or so it seemed. She’d stood in the hall watching everyone go into their rooms, listening to the easy way they talked with their parents--and with each other. Somehow everyone else in the dorm seemed to have already made a friend or two, while she, Marissa, knew nobody and had nobody. She’d felt so alone, but she thought in a day or two, when she started classes, that would change.

It hadn’t changed, though. Except for JJ, Marissa really hadn’t talked to anybody outside of class. Other people at school had friends--she just had acquaintances. She didn’t even know if JJ could be called a friend. She glanced down at her phone; nope, no response to her friend request on Salem U Social No wonder the robber decided to attack me, Marissa thought. I must have been giving off pathetic vibes.

She watched the girls finish hanging their poster. Marissa considered knocking on the door and introducing herself, but she just didn’t have the energy. She slid away and stood outside her dorm room, holding her keys but feeling a sense of dread about going inside.

Nicole was on the couch, nursing another glass of wine, when Daniel came in. “Chloe kick you out too?” she asked.

Daniel looked at her. It hit him suddenly how weary he was; it was hard for him to put together what he wanted to say. “She, uh… she feels really bad about earlier. It wasn’t you, Nicole, I hope you know that.”

“That’s a first.” Nicole sipped the wine.

“I really don’t have it in me to get into this tonight.”

“You’re right. So was Kayla...except for the telling me to leave when I wasn’t who started it part.”

“Nicole…”

“Sorry. No, you’re totally right...my hurt feelings are the least of anyone’s concerns right now. How are you doing with… uh, with the news about Parker?”

Daniel sat down on the couch, not even bothering to take his coat off. “Like I’ve just been run over by a truck.”

“Yeah, you look it.” Nicole reached over and gently peeled Daniel’s coat off of him.

“Thanks a lot.” Daniel laughed; it was a short, bitter sound. “Guess I can always count on you for the truth.” He and Nicole stared at each other and she said, “I know I didn’t hear what I think I just heard.”

“What’s that?”

“You… trusting me again.”

“Yeah, I trust you. I trust you to make this about you.” Daniel smiled slightly. “No, seriously, Nicole… I’ve forgotten how willing you are to say exactly what’s on your mind and… how much I need that.”

Nicole got up, not wanting Daniel to see her face. She walked behind him. “When you say things like that,” she said, “you don’t make it easy to be unselfish.” She concentrated on squeezing his shoulders. “Did they at least give you any news on Parker’s treatment?”

“We’re not there yet. They’re running test after test after test and he… he’s getting more and more upset… and that shrink, she came by and what’d she do? She gave him a toy. A toy, Nicole… what the hell is that gonna do?” Daniel blinked back tears. “So now all of us… all of us we just wait and wait for them to tell us something, anything.”

Daniel’s shoulders shook and Nicole knew he wasn’t going to be able to hold in the tears much longer. She climbed over the couch and sat down next to him, pulling him towards her, hugging him. “Waiting’s the worst part,” she said. She could feel her own eyes getting wet as Daniel struggled with wanting to cry and wanting not to.

“Here,” Nicole said, her own voice breaking. “A literal shoulder to cry on.” She shifted her position so that Daniel was leaning his head on her shoulder.

Daniel’s shoulders shook but no tears came out. “Don’t hold back,” Nicole told him, stroking his hair. “They say that’s not good for you.”

Daniel looked up at her. “I can’t… I can’t do this…”

Nicole meant to tell him that he could, that he was stronger than he thought, but somehow she ended up saying, “I know.” She stroked his cheek. “I think when your son is really, really sick, even you are allowed to be weak.” She kissed his cheek. Daniel looked up at her and she looked at him. Don’t do this, Nicole, she thought. You know how this ends--how many times will it take before you learn?

She leaned in towards him anyway.

Daniel pulled away, making the decision for her. “I… uh, I’m pretty beat, Nicole, and I’m sure you are too. So if you want to stay in the guest room, that’s, uh, that’s not a problem.”

“Okay.” Nicole tried to sound relieved, but something caught in her throat. “Um… good night.”

She watched Daniel walk off into his bedroom. “Well, glad our annual almost kiss is over,” Nicole said under her breath. She picked up a throw pillow from the couch and hugged it to herself, feeling tears well up in her eyes again.

Roman spent the first part of the next morning going over the reports on the robbery case again and again, looking for something new that didn’t seem to be there. Rafe knocked on his door. “You wanted to see me, boss?”

Roman looked up. “Yeah. Have a seat and fill me in on the latest in this case. And please tell me you know something I don’t, cause from where I’m sitting, we’re at a dead end.”

“Sure.” Rafe sat down. “Shouldn’t we wait for Hope to get here, though? She’s the one who interviewed our so-called victim.”

“She’s gonna be late. She had something she needed to do for Ciara. Anyway, whatcha got for me?”

Rafe looked through his notes. “Hope and I deliberately set up Jeff Adkins to think we were workin’ round the clock just for his benefit.”

“And?”

“And nothing about him adds up. According to Hope’s notes, he was belligerent, uncooperative… she felt like he was trying to wrest control of the interview away from her. Her feeling is, and mine too, he had something to do with these robberies. Now the kid he fingered, his story matches what we know about this perp. Guy grabbed him from behind, held him at knifepoint, demanded his stuff. The only difference is, he chose a victim who knew enough about self-defense to get one over on him.”

“So you think this Jeff guy is our robber?”

“I’d put my money on it. The thing is, though, we can’t prove it yet. He hasn’t slipped up, not once, except for getting beaten at his own game by Rory, and let’s face it--that kid’s not exactly an ideal witness. He’s a stoner, he was high at the time, and even when he’s sober he doesn’t take a single thing seriously. There’s no physical evidence, no weapon, no signs of missing property being sold or used. It’s just one kid’s word against another, and no judge’s gonna issue a search warrant for Jeff’s property based on a gut feeling about which one is telling the truth.”

“Damn it, Rafe, we gotta get a step ahead of this robber somehow.”

“I know it.” Rafe sighed. “What do you want to do, boss? We could put a tail on this Jeff, see what he’s doing, but I don’t know if it would do any good. I mean, the kid’s smart. He’s probably not gonna strike again til enough time’s passed that the heat’s off him. Not that I want anyone else to get hurt, but as long as he’s laying low, we don’t have much of a chance of tying anything to him.”

“Maybe, maybe not. If we put some bait out there, do you think he might take it?”

“What do you have in mind?”

“Get that head of campus security on the phone--what’s his name, Peterson--to set up a meeting. That way I don’t have to repeat myself. In the meantime, go over the list of stolen merchandise. I know it sounds like busy work, but maybe we’ll get lucky and some of that stuff will turn up somewhere. After all, what the hell kind of robber goes to all that trouble just to sit on his loot?”

Rory was finishing up his breakfast when Aiden came around the corner. “Mr. Adams,” Aiden said. “We have a few minutes before your date with the judge, so I thought this would be a good time to talk about how things are going to go today.”

“Wait… who are you?”

“I guess JJ didn’t have an opportunity to get in touch with you after he left my office. I’m Aiden Jennings. I’m going to be handling your bail hearing.”

“And you’re on my side?”

“Strangely enough, yes.”

“Damn it.” Rory sat down on the bed. “I told JJ I didn’t need any fancy lawyer. It’s just a weed charge, how long can they keep me locked up? Even the cops said I’m gonna get out of here today.“

“First piece of advice: stop talking to the cops. They’re not your friends, they’re here to do a job, and that job is to get everything out of you they can to try to make a case against you. In fact, the nicer they are to you, the more important it is you keep your mouth shut. When they’ve got someone on the other side of these bars, they’re only friendly when they want something, and that something is facts they can use to keep you where you are. Understood?”

“So, like, does this mean you’re my lawyer whether I like it or not?”

“For the moment. But if I were you, I wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Someone out there cares enough about you to get the best possible representation so that you can get out of here and on with your life. Take it.”

Rory sighed. “I, um, I appreciate it, but…”

“But what?”

“I don’t have a rich mom like JJ does. I can’t pay you the big bucks.”

“I told JJ and I’m telling you, don’t worry about that. Now, we’re wasting time, cause any minute now a guard is going to come down here to put cuffs on you and escort you to the courthouse. So let’s get down to business. What’s gonna happen today is that as soon as we get to court, I’m going to talk to the DA and try to make a deal to get you out of here. If I can’t get her to budge, I will do my best to convince the judge that there’s no reason to keep you locked up until your trial. Hopefully we can get you released so that you’re free to come to my office to discuss what’s going to happen next.”

The guard came into the holding area just then. “Time for court. Let’s go.”

As Rory stood and put his hands behind his back, Aiden said, “Whatever happens today, my advice is just sit tight and let me do the talking. One way or the other, we’ll get you past this.” He patted Rory’s shoulder, since he couldn’t shake his hand, as the guard took him out of the cell.

Nicole got up super early so that she could run over to her hotel room and change before heading to work--she hadn’t planned on staying over and for once didn’t have anything with her except the dress she’d been wearing the day before. She didn’t think Daniel was up and that was fine with her; she didn’t want to have any serious conversations with him before her first cup of coffee, and anyway, he really needed his sleep.

When she was about ready to go, she made a quick phone call to JJ. “Any progress on what we talked about?”

“I’m on my way to my friend’s bail hearing. I figured after that I’d try to catch Jeff at the cafeteria or something. He lives on campus so he shouldn’t be hard to track down.”

“See, there’s those instincts I’m talking about. Listen, I’m glad you’re going to that hearing.”

“Why?”

“It saves me the trouble of going down there to try to cover it.”

“Cover it? How? What should I do?”

“Relax, first of all. It’s not a Supreme Court confirmation, it’s just a bail hearing in Nowheresville. You still breathing or do I need to get Daniel on the line to give you the verbal equivalent of CPR?”

“I’m all right.” JJ wanted to ask Nicole a ton of questions about Parker and also about whether she’d moved back in with Daniel, but now was not the time.

“In that case, listen. Try to sit in the front row--I mean if you weren’t planning on it already--and keep your eyes and ears peeled for anything interesting. When you’re done drop by my office, mainly so you can tell me about it, but also so you can prove to Miles’ satisfaction that you actually exist. Think you can handle that without backup?”

“I’ll do my best.”

“That confident attitude should win Pulitzers. But I guess if you set the bar low, you can’t do anything but exceed your own expectations. All right, check in with me later. Bye.” Nicole hung up. She tossed her phone into her purse and walked into the living room, where she was so startled to see Daniel sitting on the couch, doing something on his laptop, that she squealed a little.

Eve wandered around her apartment, not sure what to do with herself. It’s funny how big this apartment feels today, she thought. It seemed so small and unworthy of my daughter when I first came back to Salem.

Paige’s bedroom door was still closed, allowing her to pretend for a second that her daughter was still there and just hadn’t woken up yet. Eve sighed deeply as she put her hand on the doorknob. For so many years it had been her and Paige, just her and Paige.

Eve found out she was pregnant two days after Paige’s father left. It was Christmas Eve, too, the first of many Christmases she expected to spend all by herself. When she got the news, she started driving, not knowing where she was going. Somehow, she ended up at her father’s. She hoped Kim wasn’t there, even though at the same time she thought maybe this one time Kim would be understanding.

When she got there it seemed like it took forever for her little half sister Jeannie to get Shane and Kim into the living room. Kim said to Eve, “I’m so glad you could join us for Christmas this year.” Then she turned around and told Jeannie to go play. Jeannie went to the top of the steps to spy on them and Kim’s smile faded. “What’s really going on?”

“He left me,” Eve said, surprising herself with how quickly she got to the point. “Yeah, that’s right, I got kicked out of the garden of Eden. Again. And I know, you’re going to say this is all my fault, and he probably thinks so too.” Eve blinked back tears. “I really thought he was different than all the others. He was a good man, a man with a sense of decency and honor, the kind of man that usually goes for someone like Jennifer Horton. How stupid was I, thinking he’d ever stay with someone like me?”

“Well, maybe that’s the problem,” Kim said. “Just because he’s right for Jennifer doesn’t make him right for you. There’s more than one kind of good man in the world, Eve. There’s one out there for you if you would stop trying to be something you’re not.”

“Spare me the psychobabble,” Eve said bitterly.

“Darling,” Shane asked, “why do I have this feeling there’s more to this story than you’ve told us so far?”

“There is.” Eve blinked hard. “This isn’t exactly how I planned it, or how I imagined it going, but, Daddy, before he left, he… he made you a grandpa.” She scanned Shane and Kim’s shocked faces. “Go ahead, tell me how I screwed up this child’s life before it was even born.”

“What a blessing,” Kim said softly. Eve turned towards her, incredulous. “At least one good thing came out of this whole mess. You’re going to be a mother, Eve.”

“How is she going to - “

“We’ll help her, won’t we, Shane? And Andrew and Jeannie can learn to do little things for the baby, too.” Shane didn’t look happy, but Kim said, “The circumstances might not have been ideal, but we don’t want this child to ever know that it was anything but completely loved and wanted. Of course it’s up to Eve what to do, but if we can I want to help give that baby a blessed life.”

Eve found tears running down her face again now. She had tried so hard to give Paige the life Kim had talked about, to make something good come out of the mess she’d made with Paige’s father. She’d given her music lessons and art lessons and gone to all sorts of events and encouraged her interests… and they had been so close. And now… now Paige practically hated her.

She picked up the phone and called her daughter. “Sweetheart, it’s Mom,” Eve said, feeling instantly better when she heard he daughter’s voice. “How are you baby?”

Back