Carol Channing, 97, passed away..........

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Talk about legendary.....Ms. Channing certainly has that title. Her publicist reported she passed away earlier this morning, Jan. 15, 2019. She would have been 98 on Jan. 31.

I was lucky enough, have never forgotten, seeing her in Hello Dolly. A friend gave us box seat tickets, looking right down on the stage. At one point she was so close, she reached up her hand while singing one of the songs, and I could have clasped it.
No one has ever come close to portraying Dolly Levy as Carol Channing did, (and I have seen the play with other actors), she made that role hers.
Rest in peach, Ms. Channing, and THANK YOU for the memories!

I saw her in Hello Dolly when I was in high school. My Mom's card club ladies were going to see her in the touring show at what was then a premiere show place in Ohio. One lady couldn't go so my Mom took me to use the ticket. Ms Channing was wonderful on tv, but simply amazing in person. Hmmm, I think Charles Nelson Reilly (spelling ? ) was also in the show.

He probably played Horace. LOL. And yep, I agree...in person, she was just fantastic..she owned that stage!

Back