Chemistry. Not the school subject

sirramix

Reaction score
From the "From SOD" thread the discussion has turned to being about chemistry between characters & some very good discussion points & opinions are being made.

So good that I think it should have it's own thread. :)

We all see chemistry different & some the same. Like said in that thread "to each their own" which is true.

So what's "your own"? Are there any couplings past or present that you found chemistry with? Who? Did it last?

I'll go 1st. I didn't want to post my answers in the original post to avoid confusion.

I thought Marlena & Roman (Wayne Northrop) had tremendous chemistry. When Drake Hogstyn was brought in as Roman it took a while for them to grow on me because I felt like I was cheating on the Roman I always knew but eventually the sparks between Marlena & John hit me. Anymore I don't see it between them but I don't know why.

Jennifer only had chemistry with Frankie to me when they were young. I liked her with the guy that was on Fame too (can't remember the actor's name or Days character name) but nothing like she & Frankie. When Jack was dying 1 of his many deaths (lol) & he pushed Frankie & Jennifer together I no longer felt that same spark as when they were younger.

Presently I really see no chemistry between Victor & Maggie. Something is off with those 2 to me & they never jelled as a couple in my eyes.

Ari Zucker (Nicole) & Jensen Ackles (former Eric). Not so much now, with Greg Vaughan (Eric), though I do like him.

Freddie Smith (Sonny) & Chandler Massey (former Will).

Bo & Hope (Peter Reckell & Kristian Alfonso).

Sami & Rafe.

EJ & Abigail.

I think Daniel/Jen lack chemistry. They come across as very forced to me. Maggie/Victor I don't mind.

John and Isabella (even when he was "Roman")
Steve and Kayla
Kimberly and Shane
Eve and Nick
Doug and Julie
Alice and Tom so sweet

Jennifer and Daniel are SO boring just my opinion I just see/feel nothing, the above couples were full of chemistry.
Jennifer and Jack had a meaningful chemistry
Sami/Rafe had it
Sami/Lucas had it

Sami & Rafe
EJ & Abigail
EJ & Nicole
John & Marlena
Roman(Josh Taylor) and Marlena. I never understood the connection between her and Wayne Northrop(old Roman/Alex) but I know their love story was before my time.
Carrie & Austin(Patrick Muldoon not Austin Peck)
Belle & Shawn(Jason Cook)
Jennifer & Jack
Jennifer & Daniel
Bo & Hope
Aiden & Hope
Aiden & Kayla
Steve & Kayla
Kate & Roman
Kate & EJ (if she is going to go younger, it may as well be him)
Kim & Shane
Maggie & Victor
Julie & Doug
Chloe & Brady(Kyle Lowder)
Lucas & Sami
Lucas & Chloe
Lucas & Jordan
Lucas & Sheryl

As for Nicole, I pretty much like her with anyone except Brady(either actor). I don't have an issue with her and Eric(either actor) in terms of chemistry. The bigger issue for me are her ongoing shenanigans as I think they detract from any romantic storyline she is in.

I second Chandler Massey(Old Will) & Sonny. I really liked those 2 together
Abigail & Chad
Nicole & Ej
Sami & Rafe
Nicole & Daniel-seems a little more platonic but I like the way they act when on screen together
Chloe & Daniel
Jennifer drives me crazy when she is on screen interacting with ANYONE! She just always seems to be whining

I liked Chloe & Brady, when Brady was played by Kyle Lowder. Also liked her with Philip.

Shawn & Belle, but Jason Cook & Kirsten Storms' version.

Austin Peck as Austin Reed, with Sami & Carrie (though I despise Carrie).

Kate and Roman
Kate and Rafe
Kate and Stefano
Kate and John

Marlena and (original) Roman
Nicole and Rafe
Sonny and (original) Will
Maggie and Victor (before they wed)
Carrie and Mike (Crichlow)
Rafe and Carrie
Kristen and Brady
Belle and Philip

The potential of Hope and Rafe

EJ and (original) Will (mentor relationship)
Kate and Sami (working relationship love-hate)

Melissa (Lisa Trusel) and Pete Jannings
Mickey and Maggie "Red" nickname so cute
Jordan and Rafe for the current but then Rafe would have chemistry with Benchie...although I saw nothing with Kate and Rafe
Kate and Roman had something once.
Calliope and Eugene

It goes to show how different we all are, doesn't it? While I like some couples together, it doesn't mean that they have great chemistry together. It could be they are very likeable together (as I think present Will & Sonny are.)
But anyone who knows me knows that I feel the best and most obvious chemistry was with Steve & Kayla. They just had IT!! In capital letters. LOL Sparks just flew all over the screen.

I also thought that Chloe & Brady (as played by Kyle Lowder) also had fantastic chemistry....of course their wonderful duets helped there as well. But, in addition, they had great story.

As I mentioned in another thread, I thought teen Jennifer & Frankie Brady had wonderful chemistry, but when he left, then returned some years later, it just was not there any more. (Writing???) And I did think it was apparent with Jack & Jennifer. I also said elsewhere, that I thought Sami had great chemistry with Lucas, (still does) and then later, definitely with Rafe, (and it still shows when they have scenes together).

I suppose, with all of us, it depends on when we began watching, who we have seen "together". John always seemed to have great chemistry with whoever was opposite him - Isabella, Diana Colville, Marlena.And of course, Bo & Hope always had it. Would just leap off the screen at you.

But....a lot depends on the writing, and I think, years ago, the writing was much better, but more importantly, more time, more care was spent filming. Directors had more say so, actors were not left on their own to interpret how they should say lines, or react. I guess this is why & how the vets are so important.....they know their characters, the sets, the personality, they take the newbies under their wings, help them along. Yes, the vets.....not the directors, producers, etc. ...Off my soapbox.......sorry.

Calliope and Eugene
Chloe and Brady
Isabella and John
Philip and Bell
Kate and Stefano
Ej and Nicole
Ben and Abby
Rafe and Sami ooze chemistry
Rafe and Jordan if they ever let their story begin

Ej and Sami have chemistry when they are at each others throat, fighting tooth & nail, hating each other, but I don’t see anything between this watered down and sugary sweet version that is on my screen now. I don’t see chemistry when a woman has to give up her dignity, self-worth, and ability to think for herself and forget all the horrible and nasty things they have done to each other like Sami has. And for a man to become a women’s lap dog, crying like a baby, getting down on his hands and knees begging to keep a woman, this is EJ. And they had to re-write history for almost every character to try and make this relationship work, and still failed miserable! Every couple has done something that they are not proud of in a relationship, but Ej/Sami list will stretch from my house to Chicago and that’s a lot of stuff for an audience to forgive and forget! And I believe for a couple to have chemistry they have to be believable in the eyes of viewers even in a daytime soap and Ej/Sami just can’t pull that off!

Bo and Hope
Justin and Adrienne
Steve and Kayla
Doug and Julie
Rex and Mimi
Philip and Melanie
Chad and Abby
EJ and Nicole
Bo and Carly
Sami and Rafe
Sami and Lucas
Will and Sonny (Guy Wilson and Chandler Massey both, but in different ways.)
Stefano and Kate
Victor and Maggie
Jack and Jen (When they first got together and before he started "disappearing".)
Peter and Jen
Shawn and Belle (Jason Cook and Kirsten Storms)
Max and Stephanie
Mickey and Bonnie
Shawn and Caroline

:) I could go on and on, but i think i'll stop there.

edited to add actors' last names....JS

Back