Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies

redsquirrel

Reaction score
I got this recipe from one of my volunteers . She can't remember which cookbook she got it out of years ago. My sister loves them, so I make them as part of her Christmas present.

Shirley

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 10 oz jar maraschino cherries
1 6 oz pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar.

Add egg and vanilla. Mix well.

Gradually add the flour mixture. Beat until well blended.

Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Press down center of dough with thumb to make a well.

Drain cherries, but save juice. Place a cherry in the well of each cookie.

In small sauce pan, combine chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in 4 teaspoons of the cherry juice.

Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the chocolate mixture over each cherry. If the chocolate is too thick , add more cherry juice.

Bake cookies in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Cool on wire rack.

Wow, that sounds delicious...!!! My Mom absolutely loved chocolate covered cherries, so maybe I'll make these for my family get together this Christmas and as we eat them we'll share remembrances of Mother....!!!! Thanks for the recipe and the memory... :D :D

Boy, I have a friend who is a chocolate covered cherry NUT. I am gonna give her this recipe (I don't bake, but she does)

This sounds like heaven! I am definitely going to do this. Thanks. I might cheat and use refrigerated dough, but definitely add the cherries and make the chocolate chip/ cherry juice concoction. Thanks! :D

these sound awesome, I'll have to try them. I think i'm really into the nesting stage now. I baked 12 dozen cookies yesterday. lol

This sounds delicious Shirley. I'm wondering though ... because I can never leave a recipe alone ... how would it be to combine your biscotti recipe with this one. I'm thinking about adding chocolate chips and dried cherries (instead of the canned bluberries) to the biscotti batter. But I wonder if that would taste odd with the bluberry muffin mix though.

Thanks for the recipes!

Just took a batch out of the oven!

Comments:
1] The dough is a little dry and crumbly, but when you roll the little balls in your hands it sticks together OK.

2] I was convinced there was going to be a problem putting that chocolate syrup mixture on BEFORE baking. That sounded like it should be the frosting. But I followed the instructions -- lining my oven with foil as I was sure it was going to make a mess!! Surprise. The "frosting" stayed where it was supposed to stay!! LOL

3] One recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies, but there aren't that many cherries in a 10 oz. jar. I bought the 16 oz jar -- and still cut the cherries in half. [Had some cherries left over.]

4] I'm not sure how to tell if they are done. I tasted one. DELICIOUS, but it was pretty soft. Is that how they should be??? Need a few more minutes in the oven??

Thanks for this recipe!
Lois

Lil0, the dough should be crumbly / stiff before you start rolling the balls. The heat from your hands softens the dough. If it was soft to begin with, it would end up way too soft. If my kitchen is warm from baking all day, I even put the dough in the fridge for a while. I have several cookie recipes like this.

Hmmm, I had cherries (WalMart's brand) left over after getting my 3 dozen cookies. I put them in my medicinal wine. :)

Yep, the cookies are soft and chewy like brownies.

Don't bake for more than 10 minutes or the fudgey frosting will turn. Fudge or chocolate that has turned becomes hard and crumbly, and has a nasty burned taste. There's no saving it at that point.

mmm, I just made them yesterday and only got 2 1/2 dozen, I must have made them too big, but it turned out okay as I didn't run out of cherries. lol These are super, I hope everyone that I'm giving them too likes them.

I tried these about 3 years ago, and now I make them every Christmas.
They don't last long, my family loves them.

mmm, being so close to Christmas we need to get this recipe back to the main page of the spectator cookbook!!

YUMMMMMMMMMMY!!

Ok, I just made these today and they are DELICIOUS, and I am not even a chocolate-covered cherry fan.

I have to say I thought I was doing 1" balls, but I only got 2 dozen out of the recipe. I feel like they would have been awfully small had I gotten the full 3 dozen out of them (I was worried the cherries wouldn't stay put and would overwhelm the cookie). Anyway, regardless of how many you get, and admittedly I never get the full yield out of any cookie recipe and I've been baking since I was a child in the '70s, they're scrumptious and well worth the try!

Thanks for posting the recipe.

I want to make this with my granddaughters, they LOVE cherries and chocolate and I think would have a ball (get it?) making them. I'll have to buy an extra jar or maybe even 2 of cherries though to account for sneaky pops in the mouths.

RedSquirrel.....Thank You Thank You Thank You. I just finished by first batch and they are terrific and better yet they look terrific.

A few things I did different from the recipe: I let the dough set in the refrigerator about 1/2 hr. before making the balls. Then I rolled my 1" ball in crush almonds and then set the cherry in the well I built with a wooden spoon with a round end (that way the well for the cherry was consistent in size)
I had some left over See's Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips from another recipe so I used them for the chocolate mixture (can you say double yummy!). And I thought for sure once I covered the cherry and put the cookies in to bake the chocolate mixture would melt all down the sides.....But it didn't! It set up on top of that cookie so proud, looking beautiful! Thanks Again! If my dad was still with us .... he would of loved this cookie since he got a box of Chocolate Covered Cherries every year for his birthday and Christmas.

RedSquirrel these sound mouth watering good....I'll have to get my sister to bake them.
My oven is broken & I can not bake in it.
Thank you

IMO there's nothing more delicious then Chocolate and Cherries mixed together. I'd love to eat a bunch of these but they will go straight to my gut, so i'll refrain. Actually i think i put on 2 lbs just reading the recipe. :zip:

Back