Cool stuff w/updated board

What happened?
Nothing really "happened" per se. I too love that feature, but we're trying to isolate a problem that some users (and admins) are reporting where when they click on a link to go to the latest post in a thread, the screen "bounces". I can't replicate it, so I'm not actually sure what they're talking about, but I'm trying to turn features off and back on, one at a time, until we can hopefully isolate and resolve the bug.

If Poirot and the other admins will let me know if the problem still exists now, that would be great...

If it does, I can turn it back on.

If the problem has disappeared for them (maybe it's a slower connection thing?) then unfortunately we have to consider leaving that feature disabled for the sake of our bandwidth-challenged patrons..

This would be easier if I could duplicate it (maybe) but I'm just pulling Jenga blocks here to see what works...

Wayne

Yes, it is still happening for me, and I was thinking a while ago, I wish I could take a video of it happening, so you could see it. It happens on both my desktop, with the old XP, and I thought perhaps that could be the problem, but my laptop has Windows 7, happens there as well. So odd. When it does stop the jumping, it settles on the post just above the "newest" one. That is odd, too. And happens both in Firefox and Chrome. Does not happen on any other site.
I thought it was perhaps a server problem maybe, but since it happens to others, that cannot be the case.

If it was still happening with the "sticky menus" turned off, then I am at a loss for what's causing it. I'll continue to work on the replacement theme in the background, but since I can't replicate the error, I can't make any guarantees.

Color me very confused. All the options are no longer across the top for me, have to open a menu in the left corner. No big deal, but also have to click on my avatar to get Conversations. LOL

Color me very confused. All the options are no longer across the top for me, have to open a menu in the left corner. No big deal, but also have to click on my avatar to get Conversations. LOL
Ummm.. I'm on a PC using Firefox, IE, and Chrome, and if I hover my mouse over the icon for conversations (or messages) a popup menu drops down to show me the conversations or messages in my box..

That is SOOOOO Weird... Here's my view with Internet Exploder and Firefox on the PC. If you're running Internet Explorer 8 or earlier, it's definitely time to upgrade, as I think they're running, what... Version 10 or 11 now? Work PC's are always running older versions....

Internet Explorer v9weird.jpg
With Firefox 43.x
weird firefox.jpg

@Poirot --

Oh, well poop with a capital C... I just figured out what the cause of the problem is....

The resolution of your monitor (maybe the size too) is so low that your display is reverting to "tablet mode"... It looks like your screen is set to either 1024x768, or 800x600.

Remember? When you're viewing the site on tablets, phones, or -- in this case -- low-resolution devices, the site "shrinks" the display from two columns down to one trying to make it all fit on the display..

To demonstrate to myself, I just shrunk the browser window down to like 1/3 the normal size on my screen and it did the same exact thing.

It also completely explains the "bouncing" and why I couldn't replicate the issue earlier. Moving to a new theme (no matter what it is) wouldn't resolve that issue.

I might have a spare (larger) 27" monitor I could send you, but I'd need to know whether or not your computer could support a monitor with a 1920 x 1080 resolution...?

Wayne

I don't even have IE on my computer. I hate that browser. Firefox & Chrome are all I use, both are updated. 40.0.3 version for firefox. The monitor is 1024x768 which is the maximum resolution.

This is an old desktop, well, the harddrive is probably 8 years old.

I do not own a tablet, smart phone, etc. but I know many of our members do, which is how they access this board.

The monitor is 1024x768 which is the maximum resolution.
Ok, thank you. I feel better now, as I've been racking my brain trying to discover some mystery cause of the theme's "bouncing" problem.

The issue is that at 1024x768, and with your browser not expanded to fill your whole window, the site thinks you're viewing it on a tablet or other portable device. The "bouncing" is happening as -- when you load a page -- the site is trying to shift boxes around on the fly to make it all fit on your smaller screen... The new themes all do this to try and keep you from having to scroll left to right to read stuff.

Would you have space on your desk for a 27" monitor?

By the way, So far, the upgrade strategy has worked. Fingers and toes crossed, wood knocked-upon loudly, since we upgraded from approximately version 1.1, a few months ago, we've been able to keep up with the upgrades to the various modules, including the site itself, in the background without much more than a few minutes of downtime during the upgrades...

This is why we went through all the stuff we did to get upgraded from 1.1x to now version 1.5.1 (three years difference in versions).

I hope the site is still holding up for everyone...

Wayne

images

Back