Cranberry salad

daysluvr

Reaction score
This is the best cranberry salad I have ever tasted. You've got to try it.

Funny story to go along with it, last Christmas my mom made this salad for the first time. My husband (a very picky eater) hates cranberry salad and would never have any part of it. He dished out a big helping, not knowing it was cranberry salad and was going to town on it, when someone mentioned "the cranberry salad". He immediately would not take another bite (He's just like a kid).

Here is the recipe:

1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 (3 oz) package of raspberry jello
1 can whole berry jelled cranberry sauce
1 cup diced unpeeled tart apple
1 can mandarin oranges (drained)
1 can crushed pineapple (drained)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup broken pecans or walnuts

Dissolve jello in boiling water. Add cranberry sauce and mash with a fork (it will kind of dissolve in the jello water). Add remaining ingredients and chill.

The apple and celery gives it a nice crunch. I didn't have any celery last time I made it and I really didn't miss it.

I make this using jellied cranberry sauce, sliced green or red grapes, and the nuts. Made all the same way, and it is delicious. That is funny about your husband. My best friend's husband is the same about cranberry saunce, and absolutely refused ever to eat anything (for instance cranberry/orange relish). But he did the same as your husband when it came to this.....my mom used to make it for Thanksgiving all the time.

This sounds intriguing with the apple, pineapple and oranges. Thank you.

[size=medium][color=000066]Sounds really good. I wonder how you could use fresh cranberries instead of canned? I guess you could cook the cranberries and add them but I wonder if there is something in the canned stuff that makes a big difference in the recipe. Any ideas or suggestions?[/color][/size]

The only thing is that the cranberry sauce has to be mashed and become just as smooth as the liquid jello.

Cooking fresh cranberries.....it takes a while for them to set and "jell" and sometimes they don't. LOL

[size=medium][color=000066]Ok, I will use the canned. I think it sounds great. Will give it a shot Monday...!! Thanks....[/color][/size]

Back