Current characters

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes one doesn't know whether to blame an actor for how they interpret a character, or the writers for lousy story/characterization, etc.
So, some actors who are really good, get lousy material, & some seem to be unable to really understand their character, thus unable to give the character the best portrayal.

So....while I like most of the characters & portrayals........a bit of a critque.....

I like Emily O'Brien & the character of Gwen. But the writers have given her a terrible storyline, lousy dialogue. Terrible idea making her Jack's daughter, and then not writing story for Jack, Jen, & the entire family.

And then Leo, who started out as a sort of funny part time character, but was turned into a full time annoying pest. While he could have been a good replacement for a character like Calliope was (and is needed) instead he was turned into a thorn in everyone's side.

While I realize Days has had to cope with actors deciding to leave (Will, Bo, Hope, etc.) the writers seem unable to write for the goldmine of talent they have at hand.

I agree, Poirot. I can't fault the actors too much. I know it's their job, but there's only so much bad writing that one could take, day in and out, before either laughing and not taking it seriously or getting frustrated. I imagine it'd be much worse for me to hide my feelings. I have no poker face whatsoever.

Regarding Gwen and Leo, totally agree. I have not always liked Gwen, but have a soft spot for her and see her as something of a younger/newer version of Nicole. I really like her friendship with Leo, and love her with Xander (again, gives me EJ & Nicole vibes). But I can't help but wonder why the writers had them fall into bed, make her still love him and have him have, at the very least, a crush on her. If the divorce had issues, Sarah is probably carrying his child, he still loves Sarah...what was the point? Why not have them stay as friends and let her move on? Or delay their reunion until he figures things out? It's just unbelievably messy.

I also never understood why they bothered testing Leo with Sonny. Clearly the fans didn't want it, but it wasn't going to happen anyways from the looks of it, and Sonny is gone. It seemed like a waste of the actors' time and a waste of potentially-different and better storyline for Leo.

Alas, so many characters have been ruined.

My favorite actress on the show is Arianne Zucker (Nicole), and goodness knows that Nicole has had so many great story lines, but also so many bad ones, especially the back-and-forth with Eric. Maybe this plot with her and EJ will be decent and allow her to shine again.

They almost had me warmed up to Gwen and then blew it with the Sarah stuff. Now she just seems overly desperate.

They need to bring Anne back and team her up with Leo. Just have them as buddies that work at the hospital who bring the comedic value.

I definitely think they waste some people. Charlie didn't get to shine until he went nuts and then I was bummed he left. Also Claire was someone I wanted to send packing when they just had her as a whiner for a super long time and also OMG the singing stuff. Then that actress got to really let go when she went crazy and I was pretty impressed with her.

Some people really step up when given the opportunity. When they write Gabi as over the top jerk I remember her taking care of JJ. I wish we saw more of that for her.

Back