Dancing with the Stars - Spring Season

Noel

Reaction score
Tonight the Spring season of Dancing with the Stars begins. I am uncertain if I am interested this season in the show. I have watched every season when possible however this year's choice of 'stars' seems dubious. Tanya Harding?! Who else will be watching tonight and do you share my reluctance?

There are 10 sports figures, Olympians, world champions, various sports. This honestly doesn't interest me, mostly because I am not really into sports, so don't know anyone. This is a shortened season, only 4 weeks, and I don't even recognize most of the dance pro names. Admittedly I got to know various sports persons when they were part of a regular season.....like the retired catcher from my Cubs, right after they won the World Series.

I have heard of Kareem Abdul Jabar & Tonya, but no one else. Heck, the male Olympic gold medal winter in Ice skating is on.....Adam Rippon...and I never heard of him. Which shows how bad I have become.

I have watched DWTS since Day 1, this is first time I am not sure I will stick it out. Not even sure if I will tune in tonight....

A bunch of these athletes were just in the past Winter Olympics. Cool for Josh Norman (NFL Washington Redskins), but seems the ice skaters should have the advantage as 2 previously won.

The thing is, too, the pro dancers. No Derek Hough, sis Julianne, Mark Balas, Cheryl Burke, Maksim Chmerkovskiy, & his brother Val, Peta Murgatroyd, Tony Dovolani, Karina Smirnoff...........and well.......there are more, but those are usually among the pros, and are not.

No A or even B list celebrities have been doing the show for a while. The previous sports stars were also pulling in a different crowd than normally watched the show.

The usual pro dancers may not want to risk injuries and the time involved with this season

I miss pros Tony Davaloni and Mark Ballas. Plus what kind of dance only lasts 4 weeks?!

Well, they only have 10 contestants, usually there are 16.........and it sort of seems to me they are giving these other dancers a "chance" to get some experience teaching and inventing choreography for the inexperienced.

I would guess that most celebrities do not want to devote 8-10 weeks of their lives for this. They have been lucky in the past to even get a couple "names" to agree.

So.........did anyone watch? No, I did not, tho I turned it on around 10 min. into it, but that lasted about 10 seconds. LOL. Watched Elementary!.

Anyway, just checked a recap, sounds like lots of lowish scores, but they did eliminate 2 couples. Evidently they have live voting during the show. Anyway, a female snow boarder was eliminated - Jamie somebody, and Johnny Damon, who is a retired baseball player.

I figured that with just 4 weeks, they would have to have 2 couples departing each week. No idea who got highest scores......lol.

I saw about 2 minutes as I was changing channels. A woman (no idea who she was) was dressed in a sequin basketball uniform, and had on blue and gold sequined high top tennis shoes. I had to watch to see what the judges said about the shoes. They each said that was a big no, and they expected to see her in high heels from now on. She said she's never worn high heels. The woman did mention in the after scores interview that she had to fly out after the show because she had to do a presentation for a grade in her early Tuesday morning class at Notre Dame.

Just before the show started my Hubs told me only those living in the eastern & central time zones could vote. To air the departing 'stars' at the end of the show mountain & pacific zone votes would not be counted. That did it for me. This is the first time I have missed Dancing With the Stars. I think this show is toast going forward.

LOL, well, from I read of the scores, there were several lower than those who were voted off. Guess this is what happens when the public is asked to vote, too. AND, I did also read that only those in the eastern & central time zones could vote.....know idea why......maybe mountain & Pacific see it later than the other two zones.

i.e. Days is on at noon in NY, but that is 11 a.m. here.........and is 9 a.m. in CA.....so in CA it is shown at 1 p.m. THEIR time, but that is 3 p.m. Central, 4 p.m. Eastern. What I am getting at is these time zones are not seeing Dancing With The Stars at exactly the same time.

Back