Days Best & Worst -2014

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have read a few columnists opinions on this subject.....So let's have at it here. Just copy and paste the categories......then state who you feel deserves best and worst.... (Please remember this is for the entire year, not just the last few months) And yes, in some cases there just might not be someone who you think fits. Skip that one if you want.

Best actor thru the year

Best Actress thru the year

Best storyline

Worst storyline

Best recast

Best wedding

best supporting actor

Best supporting actress

Most boring character

Best new character

Most Boring couple

Best villain

Best villainess

Best exit

Worse exit

Biggest failure as a couple

Best actor thru the year - Victor

Best Actress thru the year - Maxine NICOLE

Best storyline - The two deaths of Nick Fallon

Worst storyline- Eve's attempts to break up Paige & JJ, resulting in the sex romp of Eve & JJ

Best recast - Chad....

Best wedding - Will & Sonny...the speeches were so great

best supporting actor - Aiden

Best supporting actress - Kayla

Most boring character - A tie (Paige & Jordan)

Best new character - Paul

Most Boring couple - Jordan & Rafe

Best villain - Chad

Best villainess - Kristen

Best exit - EJ

Worse exit - Sami going to CA to have a movie made of her life. Sheesh

Biggest failure as a couple - Daniel & Jennifer

Best actor thru the year Brady (he has had some strong material)

Best Actress thru the year Nicole

Best storyline EJ and Abby's fling

Worst storyline priest raping/priest saving/paper shredding/trapped in a basement (was that this year???)

Best recast JJ

Best wedding Will and Sonny

best supporting actor Victor

Best supporting actress Anne

Most boring character Paige

Best new character Clyde

Most Boring couple Rafe and Jordan

Best villain Chad

Best villainess Kate

Best exit Gabi... it was a sad thing but at least she got to say goodbye.

Worse exit Sami and the silliness of it all.

Biggest failure as a couple Eve and JJ

Best actor thru the year--Casey Moss (JJ). While his relationship with Paige failed to bring in fan interest, the actor did a great job struggling with redeeming himself and proving himself to everyone. Plus, his scenes displaying his guilt over romping in the sack with her mother are fantastic.

Best Actress thru the year--Alison Sweeney (Sami). While her relationship with Elvis was disgusting, she really did a great job acting. From that daydream episode to her entire secret schemes against EJ & Abby, from her forgiveness of EJ (which I hated, mind you) to her grief and departure, it was well-done throughout.

Best storyline--EJ and Abigail's affair. Some might think of this as cheap sex romps. But what I really think made it the best storyline was how it SURPRISED us! How often does the show do that? But it also gave the majority of fans (who loathed EJ & Sami as a pairing) a much-needed reprieve from the rapemance couple, and it helped that the two had chemistry. The fallout of the affair also provided a great deal of drama that involved a large amount of the cast, and the Kate-Sami team up that few saw coming.

Worst storyline--Since last year I awarded this to Sami & EJ, I'm gonna give the worst storyline "award"--or should I say, designation--to the nasty, repulsive sex storyline of Eve & JJ. Daniel & Kristen came pretty close, but luckily, they didn't actually "do it". Eve and JJ, on the other hand, "did it" TWICE!! They claim to be disgusted with themselves (not as disgusted as the viewers are), but keep going back for more. It's so wrong on so many levels. JJ sleeping with a woman old enough to be his mother, and the mother of his girlfriend at that, is wrong already. But add to the fact that Jennifer (JJ's mom), who's had a really hard year, is this woman's nemesis!! The show was clearly trying to replace the EJ & Sami dynamic of "hot angry sex" and garner a reaction from the audience--which they no doubt believed would be positive. Instead, social media related to Days has seen a universally negative reaction to these nasty romps, with a great number of viewers who simply stopped watching the show because it went to a whole 'other level of gross and trashy. Not to mention that Eve never should've been involved with the kiddie pool to begin with, in any way other than being a mother to Paige.

Best recast--Billy Flynn (Chad). Don't get me wrong, the replacement for Will is also good. But Billy Flynn has done an OUTSTANDING job as this new, scheming Chad. He's the perfect DiMera, and his chemistry with Sonny, Will, Melanie, and Abigail has been great. You'd never know this wasn't the original Chad. Furthermore, he succeeded in making Jordan more interesting--that's a tough feat to tackle.

Best wedding--Will & Sonny. By far. The speeches were beautiful. Some were hesitant to watch it because Chandler Massey (ex-Will), who'd had years of storyline with Sonny, was just replaced with Guy Wilson (current Will). But Guy fit right in and has performed extremely well, and the scenes were tearjerkers. Besides, when compared to the lousy Vegas wedding that Brady & Theresa had, or that nasty and contrived (and connived) wedding of the rapemance couple, this is an easy win.

best supporting actor--Galen Gering (Rafe). Let's face it--while he's technically a main character, he really hasn't had much screen time this year (at least not that viewers enjoyed or cared about), and has practically no storyline. Nevertheless, the scenes he did have, he shined in, because he's a good actor.

Best supporting actress--Kate Mansi (Abigail). She's always been gold, and has chemistry with just about everyone on the soap. But her performance earlier in the year with the EJ affair saga was fantastic, whether trying to fight her attraction to the resident thug or giving in; whether suffering when the truth got out, or standing up to Sami; and her snark towards Anne and Theresa and the beginnings of her relationship with Ben were good as well.

Most boring character--Tie. Paige Larson and Jordan "Tammy Sue" Ridgeway. Plain cheerios are less bland than these two newbies, folks. Paige was a dull good-girl, just like Bev and Rory told us, but then she morphed into a shrewish hag, much like her beloved Jennifer. Then there's Jordan, who's past we STILL know almost nothing about, and she's been on the show for over a year. Her bland relationship with Rafe made viewers yawn, and her relationship with Chad is barely a step up. She seems nice enough, but like Paige, she makes the same facial expressions--and so do the viewers when they watch these two characters. That facial expression would be eyes closed and mouths open while snoring.

Best new character--Aiden Jennings. Paul is good too, but Aiden's been on the soap for longer, and has been very well-integrated (which Paul hasn't, besides a select few people). Not only has he been interacting with Hope (his obvious choice for a pairing), but has also struck up friendships with Jennifer, JJ, Nicole, and Daniel. Now he's working with fellow newbie, Clyde, and also with Rafe. The chemistry with Hope, good acting, and great connections to veteran characters makes him by far the best new character of the year, especially compared to boring people like Ben and Jordan.

Most Boring couple--Tie. Ben & Abby and Daniel & Jennifer. Let's face it: Daniel & Jennifer are nearly universally-loathed, and have been for years. Jennifer's haggard surfaces from a once-beloved character, and Daniel is a dummy around her. Their contrived breakup in spring, followed by a ridiculous "second breakup" this autumn made no sense whatsoever, not that fans cared. We were just glad they were done--and hoping that it stays that way, at least for a very long time. Especially since both characters are at least tolerable, if not enjoyed, when they aren't together. Ben and Abigail aren't really bad people, despite their mistakes. However, they are both completely boring and stupid while with each other. They had chemistry, and it actually seemed at first like they'd make a cute pairing. But Abigail's shrewish hypocrisy, seeming-jealous over Chad being with her friend (and it's really forced friendship), Jordan, and her and Ben doing nothing but having sex all the time simply fails to gain any kind of fan interest. And Ben, while more interesting than his stepsister, is just barely less boring than Cameron, the last person that Abby really dated, besides Chad. Let's face it, folks: it would've been more interesting had Abby gone more dark and stayed with EJ.

Best villain--Clyde Weston. Although new, the charming country drug dealer is played by a great actor (James Read). His pairing with the devious Kate, his feuds with Rafe and Victor, his backstory as a rapist and abuser, and his responsibility for the demise of EJ, a seemingly-untouchable mobster, has made him a very interesting character in a short-amount of time, especially compared to his stepdaughter and son, or other newbies.

Best villainess--Tie. Kristen DiMera and Theresa Donovan. Theresa getting Brady crossfaded (drunk & high) all year for her own personal gains, and then whacking John ( a fan fave!) on the head with a firepoker and for months, making her husband think he did it, was as bad as you can get! Plus, it really showcased Jen Lilley's (Theresa) acting abilities. Then there is her newest arch-rival, Kristen (portrayed by the talented Eileen Davidson) who came back to town after kidnapping and trying to kill Daniel Jonas, then later almost having sex with him, despite the fact that her one-time best friend, Jennifer, was just barely out of his life. And then her devious theft of Theresa & Brady's fetus and implanting it into her own body, while Theresa can't remember anything of that night, was just absolutely ridiculous--and the kind of evil only Kristen can pull off.

Best exit--EJ DiMera. Of course, many fans hated this character (particularly with Sami), so we were glad he died. But the way he went out was also great. It brought about very good acting and fallout storylines.

Worse exit--Sami Brady. She mourned the death of EJ for what, 2 days? Then she leaves because of a movie deal in Hollywood? Very poorly-written. But hey, at least she's out of Salem.

Biggest failure as a couple--Tie. Paige & JJ and Jordan & Rafe. Both of these couples had great potentials to be tender, sweet, loving romances, which Days was in desperate need of after so many sex romps. However, after a few weeks, most viewers fell asleep when these pairings were on-screen. Paige and Jordan really didn't have any kind of interaction or relationships with major Days characters for a very long time, and even still aren't all that connected. Both are extremely bland and make the same faces. Paige turned into a shrew with JJ: one minute, she told him she trusts and loves him. The next, she is upset that he hooked up with girls in England, and believes her family and friends that JJ is a dog. JJ, instead of realizing he deserves better, continues to try and be with her. This couple ended up being Daniel & Jennifer 2.0. On the other hand, we had Jordan & Rafe. It came at a great time--his breakup with Sami made no sense, and neither did his romps with Kate. When at first fans heard he'd be in a new relationship, we thought it would be great, especially since it was with a good girl for a change. However, Jordan's shifting personality (from being SO cautious all the time to now blindly believing a DiMera is all-good) and lack of explanation of her troubled past led the viewers not to care about this character, or take her seriously. Furthermore, she and Rafe did very few things. Mainly, it was conversations in the Square, making out on Benchie, or having sex. Boring.

Note: I can barely remember what I had on yesterday, much less every story in the last year. LOL but here goes..

Best actor thru the year John Aniston (Victor)

Best Actress thru the year Ari Zucker (Nicole)

Best storyline Ej Dimera's death. I was so excited that he died, I wanted the character dead...and usually I don't like our writers, but I must give them credit- they actually were able to make me a little sad when he died. I wasn't sad that he died- I was sad for all those involved, the pain they felt. Bravo to writers and actors/actresses alike.

Worst storyline Will taking off with his mom and then acting like Sonny annoys him with his phone calls etc... good grief. Newly weds? Happy newly weds? suddenly unhappy? Will is a jerk, and it's the fault of the people writing for him.

Best recast Billy Flynn (Chad Dimera)

Best wedding Will & Sonny. (Guy Wilson & Freddie Smith) done and done. Now if the writer's could please write them as happy newly weds, that'd be great.

best supporting actor Freddie Smith (Sonny Kiriakis)

Best supporting actress Lauren Koslow (Kate Roberts).. when she was helping Gabi and Sami with Nick... I loved those three. :) haha.

Most boring character True O'Brien (Paige Larson)

Best new character Serena Mason ..so far anyway...seems interesting. I'm sure the writer's will screw it up. Poor thing. She doesn't even see it coming.

Most Boring couple Rafe and Jordan. eh. I just didn't care.

Best villain Nick Fallon. holy crazy person batman... I just loved it haha...see with EJ, I just hated EJ, to the point of not wanting to watch the scenes... Nick, it was OH SNAP WHAT IS HE GONNA DO I HAVE TO WATCH THIS! haha. Nick gets that trophy from me.

Best villainess Kristen Dimera. Golly that girl has problems. But being a villainess, that's what she's good at.

Best exit Ej Dimera. He died. YES! (sorry, I cannot contain myself...I know some of you did love the character.)... though, I like James Scott somewhat- sorry to see him go, but that EJ...he HAD to go.

Worst exit Sami. really? off to make a movie? with all the kids in tow? Including the son that just got married that is a total... *can't say that on SalemSpectator* ? That's just dumb.

Biggest failure as a couple Nicole and Eric. I wanted Eric to forgive her. I wanted it to be emotional and romantic and for Nicole to finally be happy. But alas, Eric went all 'I hate you so much' and is now with Serena. Bah humbug.

I can't really answer most of these, as I am at work and rarely get to see the actual show (thanks again for the recaps),but I am kind of shocked that no one has mentioned the Kristen fetus robbing as the worst storyline. But, I am also disgusted at the JJ/Eve pairing, as many of the other responses have indicated.

And, a vote for Nicole as the best actress. And biggest failure as a couple goes to Jen/Dan from what I have read and seen a couple of times. Jordan/Paige are the most boring.

LisaK in VA, I thought about the fetus stealing as worst storyline, but it was really just a 3 day story arc. For me, it really didn't have a beginning/middle/end. I HATED the story but didn't consider it because it hasn't ended (at least that's my reasoning for not picking that terrible, totally unbelievable story).

I think the fetus storyline is bad. But as Robinsnest said, it was an arc. The storyline will pick up most likely next year and maybe then we can add it to the "worst storyline of 2015".

LOL, and you all are absolutely correct about Nicole being best actress. I was just so disgusted with most of the storylines and women, and Maxine never failed to deliver......but Nicole delivers way more. So my vote there is changed. LOL

Best actor thru the year: Drake Hogestyn (John) - I know he wasn't on for most of it, but in my opinion, his portrayal of John is always spot-on

Best Actress thru the year: Tie: Deidre Hall (Marlena) and Ari Zucker (Nicole). Marlena...what can I say - she's just amazing in any storyline no matter the crummy script. And Ari Zucker should have been given a lot of front-burner time with Eric & Nicole rather than the show focusing on Sami's lame exit.

Best storyline: The introduction of Hope & Aiden as a couple, and Hope FINALLY letting Bo go. Granted, it was a "MISS!!" with some Bo/Hope fans, and I get that, but it was high-time they ended the marriage since it seems Bo isn't returning any time soon. Kristian Alfonso's portrayal of Hope writing that letter to Bo was bittersweet and I really wished they would have used some flash-backs to when they were together...*sigh*

Worst storyline: Hands DOWN - Sami leaving for Hollywood. IN NO UNIVERSE did Sami ever want fortune & fame...that was a pipe dream of hers...her REAL dream was a loving husband & family, a place to call home and the security as an adult that she lost when she was a child because Stefano kidnapped her parents.

Best recast: Meh. None of them really impressed me too much.

Best wedding: Will & Sonny - what made that episode for me, was Caroline's speech - Peggy McCay (Caroline) STOLE the show from Deidre Hall (Marlena), Guy Wilson (Will) & Freddie Smith (Sonny) and I was enthralled by her performance!!

best supporting actor: Eric Martsolf (Brady)- Brady is a turdburglar, but Eric Martsolf has really come into his own with the role. I wish they'd re-think Brady though & remember that he's supposed to be a business savvy adult that's into being healthy, wealthy & wise - not some drugged out idiot incapable of seeing when he's being worked easier than a Muppet.

Best supporting actress: Susan Hayes (Julie) - no contest. When Nick died, her performance was lightning in a bottle, and I believe we've all seen her capture it before - many times over. Why she's not on more, I don't understand!!

Most boring character: Tied: Paige, Jordan, Ben, Clyde, Will, MHaggie & Victor. Yes. Victor. Since he married MHaggie, he's a shadow of his former self. I want them to split (preferably MHaggie dies) and have Victor get his edge back - they can bring Philip back to run Titan & have Victor brought on when storyline dictates - but Victor needs to be an edgy son of a pup - not a "yes dear" potato peeler who only snarks on that rare occasion the writers remember who Victor Kiriakis IS.

Best new character: None of them. I was liking Aiden, but...I don't know - him & Hope - to me at least - lost their luster & appeal after they hit the sheets too quickly. If I had to choose, I'd pick him - but only if you were threatening to take my last glass of wine.

Most Boring couple: JJ and Paige - that's not even a contest. Since he became a Daniel lover, he's boring. And quite frankly, Paige could be recast by an upside down mop with a face painted on it and be more interesting. removed comment pertaining to actresses....JS

Best villain: Stefano. No one else comes close. Except maybe the writers...

Best villainess: Anne Milbauer. She's an odd duck...I don't like her at all & she's not villainy...but there's something about her to instinctively hate. While at the same time, there's a heart in there somewhere.... Not sure why, but I still think her & Roman could be a heck of a fun pairing!! Just give us some insight into why she hates all Hortons & let's see what happens.

Best exit: Kristen DiMera - I just hope she STAYS gone after her return in the spring of 2015 (sorry to spoil this one, but the show taping so far ahead just kills suspense more often than not).

Worse exit: EJ DiMera. Seriously. The GREAT VILLAIN...drugger, rapist, shooter of John, kidney-swiper, evil-doing, rotten-to-the-core son of a B is shot down by some thug in a park in a drug-deal-gone-wrong? This was just MADE of fail!! I read that James Scott (EJ) got into it BIG TIME with the writers & that's why they killed the character...but for him to go out with such a joke of a storyline & has the shooter ever been brought to justice or was it just dropped???

Biggest failure as a couple: Gary Tomlin (writer) & a typewriter. *drops the mic*

edited to add character names and actors' last names.....JS

Best actor thru the year: Casey Moss (JJ)

Best Actress thru the year: Kate Mansi (Abigail): Abigail grew up in 2014 and I think the actress did a great job portraying her range of emotions from the affair to its aftermath to rebuilding her life now. She also earned herself quite a new fanbase as well.

Best storyline: EJ/Abigail affair: 100% pure soap! 2 characters with great physical and emotional chemistry have an affair. And it showed different sides of each character not to mention it drove up the ratings.

Worst storyline: JJ/Eve affair :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

Best recast: Will Horton

Best wedding: Sonny and Will

best supporting actor: John Aniston (Victor)

Best supporting actress: Mary Beth Evans (Kayla)--She popped up in all the right places at the right time. Now let's move her to the lead actress category in 2015.

Most boring character: Jordan Ridegway with Paige a close 2nd

Best new character: Aiden Jennings

Most Boring couple: Rafe/Jordan, Nicole/Daniel, Chad/Jordan, Sami/EJ

Best villain: Not applicable

Best villainess: Kristen Dimera

Best exit: Gabi Hernandez

Worse exit: Tie between EJ Dimera and Samantha Gene Brady Roberts Hernandez Dimera

Biggest failure as a couple: Tie between Sami/EJ and JJ/Eve

Best actor thru the year Casey Moss as JJ Deveraux - he has actually made me believe that Paige is an interesting, worthwhile character

Best Actress thru the year Arianne Zucker as Nicole Walker - this girl can spin gold out of used straw

Best storyline EJ/Abigail's unexpected affair

Worst storyline The dropping of Sami's revenge against EJ for no apparent reason

Best recast Billy Flynn as Chad, though I find the character's return pointless

Best wedding Will & Sonny's

best supporting actor John Aniston as Victor Kiriakis

Best supporting actress Deidre Hall as Marlena Evans - she brings a warmth to every interaction she has with every character

Most boring character Paige Larson

Best new character Aiden Jennings

Most Boring couple JJ & Paige

Best villain Clyde brings a new level of creepiness to Salem, with no apparent redeeming qualities

Best villainess Kate Roberts, even though her stories have been kinda lame, the DiMera takeover was a master stroke

Best Exit Gabi's, though predictable, was well-done

Worst exit Sami's stupid Hollywood trip

Biggest failure as a couple EJ & Sami

The worst....
deleted quote attributed to daysdg..P

Tell me why do you say majority of fans hated Sami and EJ when you no proof of that?

The ratings were better in 2013 and show was getting rave reviews and got a emmy EJ and Sami were happy and in love that year sorry your couple EJ and Abby tanked it. Look at all the bad reviews Days had just got DC said it was rubbish in 2014 i just read Michael Fairman saying this show without Alison Sweeney (Sami) and James Scott (EJ) was crap as well. SOD said the best thing about Days in 2014 was Sami's revenge but EJ hooking with Abby was the worst part it didn't make sense EJ would hurt the woman he adored from day one like that just he wasn't getting any sex it was a stupid writing. Ken Corday said this week EJ and Sami were a super couple that never be replaced he said them leaving created void on his show he knows his show is doomed without them i am laughing at Days ratings every week seeing them all i see them going down its perfect karma for crap ending gave the EJ and Sami fans.

deleted entire quote...not applicable...Poirot

We've been over this many times--Sami and EJ never made the ratings higher. In fact, the ratings were lower when they were on. Comments on Facebook and many places showed that people were tired of them. They thought Sami was just an immature tramp who wasn't grateful to EJ for cleaning up her messes, and James Scott (EJ) himself said that it wasn't a love story and it ruined the character of EJ.

You may not have liked EJ with Abigail, but the fact of the matter is that their affair and some of the fallout brought the ratings much higher for Days than it had been in years.

The worst

Tell me why do you say majority of fans hated Sami and EJ when you no proof of that?

The ratings were better in 2013 and show was getting rave reviews and got a emmy EJ and Sami were happy and in love that year sorry your couple EJ and Abby tanked it. Look at all the bad reviews Days had just got DC said it was rubbish in 2014 i just read Michael Fairman saying this show without Alison Sweeney(Sami) and James Scott(EJ) was crap as well. SOD said the best thing about Days in 2014 was Sami's revenge but EJ hooking with Abby was the worst part it didn't make sense EJ would hurt the woman he adored from day one like that just he wasn't getting any sex it was a stupid writing. Ken Corday said this week EJ and Sami were a super couple that never be replaced he said them leaving created void on his show he knows his show is doomed without them i am laughing at Days ratings every week seeing them all i see them going down its perfect karma for crap ending gave the EJ and Sami fans.

I just can't...:sick:

As far as Corday saying EJ & Sami were a supercouple...I think Ken has made a bit of a fool of himself, since he's also declared JJ & Paige a supercouple. Also, where did Michael Fairman say that Days was "crap" without EJ and Sami? Please provide a link - I'd love to read it. Thanks in advance.

Michael Fairman was/is a Sami/EJ fan. He touted them all the time, even when whatever they did was terrible.
I read what Mr. Fairman said....and what it was, was the same thing many have said here. That Days had ample notice that both EJ and Sami were leaving, more than a year, and should have had their A story or stories already beginning, but they seemingly did not. (And thus the show had an absolutely terrible Sweeps month in November) He did NOT say the show crap without that couple.

It is true that the show was surprised by the Abby/EJ affair being such a hit, but it was already too late to do anything. Sami's revenge plot was good storytelling, held one's interest......, putting EJ in jail for tax evasion, stealing the company out from under him, confronting Abby in front of her mother, and then getting her fired....all good stuff.....until Sami forgave EJ and went back into bed with him.

And now, this is it! I will not tolerate ANYONE constantly attempting to hi-jack a thread, throw it off track. This is a Best and Worst thread, and each person has cited their opinions. It is NOT a thread where you present arguments because of disagreeing with the choices any poster makes.

Please let's return to Best and Worst of 2014.

Back