Days of Our Lives - Mon., June 13, 2016

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Days of Our Lives
Monday, June 13, 2016

Good show today. Don't miss any of it. Kayla & Joe are in a motel room, Steve going out for coffee. Chit chat about going home, commune bad idea, etc. Steve comes in, passes out the coffee, they start kidding around around the family drive home, Steve is talking about the Grand Canyon, about biggest turnip being in Kansas, or maybe Missouri, says it will be fun, family vacation, they will put the Griswolds to shame (referencing Chevy Chase's National Lampoon vacation movies). Joey gets a text from Jade, is at commune, needs help. He is going there, despite Mom trying to talk him out of it. He says they can come with him or not, but he is going.

Over at the commune, earlier, Jade is sitting on the floor, snuck a phone out of her boot, texted Joey. Evidently Dirk is holding everyone hostage. Johnson family arrives, seems quiet, doors locked, no answer to Joey knocking. banging on door. Kayla still trying to get him to forget it, Steve goes around back, suddenly door opens, Dirk hollars at Joey, this is all his fault, pulls him inside, slams the door. Kayla is shouting, banging, Steve comes, she tells him. Both trying to get in, he tells her call the cops. Dirk opens door again, has Joey, tells them he has a bunch of people inside, Steve is saying he can fix this. Dirk slams the door.

Well, as Jade tells Joey, seems Dirk killed a shop keeper, and when the cop came there to talk to them, he shot the cop, who is laying on the floor with Simone tending him. There is a lot of talk, Dirk is very nervous, pointing his gun, being upset, making threats. Outside, Steve tells a panicking Kayla that he can talk this kid down, he was trained for this in ISA...wait for cops. He picks door lock, sneaks inside, eventually coming into the room without Dirk seeing him, but suddenly Dirk's gun is on Steve, whose hands are raised. Lots of talk, good stuff by Steve. Outside, the cops finally get there, the bossman negotiator is furious that Steve went in, he is not authorized. They call Dirk on his phone, Dirk wants a limo, plane to Mexico, $100,000, in 1/2 hr. or he starts killing those inside.

Jade is crying, Joey in front of her, protective mode, Steve constantly calmly talking. Dirk refuses to give up anyone to show good faith. Simone is trying to convince Dirk to stop this, she gave him a place to stay, never asked for anything, but this man is losing a lot of blood, if he dies, it will be worse. Steve talks of the orphanage, being on the streets, losing his eye in a fight with his best friend over a girl, one who always had his back, and he would not be standing there right now , if not for that friend. Everyone needs a friend to stand up for them.

Back in Salem JJ is bringing in a few things per Julie's orders, as Jen & Julie look on. He sets a huge steamer trunk down, sits on the sofa, Jen asks what happened to his jaw, he says Rory. Jen didn't realize they were in contact any more. JJ sort of shrugs it all off, asks her about her meetings, Julie comes in, Jen has not missed one, Jen says they help her a lot. JJ has left, Jen stands at the window, flashing back to all that she did trashing that room, looking for pills, until she finally called Lucas, needing help. Julie comes in with tea, Jen is grateful she is there, talks of her daughter in a mental hospital, her son having altercantions with drug dealer.... how did she get here. She was an ace reporter, married to the man of her dreams, had 2 amazing children. Julie tells her she still has 2 amazing children, they talk of how Tom & Alice managed so well, with 5 kids, always having faith, keeping their cool. Julie says it is because they had family to support them, that is what Horton's do. Jen hugs, Julie, is so very glad she is there.

JJ meets Rory in the park. Rory is really ticked because JJ promised him immunity, and now he gave up the names, people out to get him. JJ explains how he did not have permission to grant him immunity, he is really sorry, will protect Rory, he can do that. Rory tells him to stay away from him, or he will be a dead man, too, and takes off.

Back to the commune, Kayla arguing with the cop negotiator outside, Steve talking with Dirk inside. Suddenly, the door open, out comes the injured cop, holding his side, Kayla rushes, she can help, but Simone comes out, and Kayla goes after her. (I think a couple others come out as well) Simone is babbling about trying to talk Dirk out of this, but Momma Bear Kayla spits out how she is the one who taught all these kids not to care about anyone else but themselves, take what they want, etc. She snarls that if her son and his father do not come out their alive, you are going to wish you never met me.

Inside, it appears to be just Joey, Jade, & Steve, hands still raised. Steve is just about convincing Dirk to let Joey & Jade go now, when a cop rushes in from the back, Dirk's gun whips towards the cop, Joey rushes at Dirk, they struggle, a shot rings out. Kayla & the other cop rush in, Steve is wresting the gun away from Dirk, the cop has him, Kayla is over Joey who is writhing and crying in agony. Jade is kneeling near his head, crying, Kayla wants compression on the wound, Steve takes off his shirt, she uses that, yelling where is that ambulance? Both parents hover over their wounded son, who is still moaning.

This is really poor timing after what happened in Orlando yesterday. They should have rerun the Hope episode from last week. I think this one could have been skipped and then edit the final scene into another episode later in the week.

I only saw the first half but I guess I'll go back and watch the rest. Yet another "bubble episode" with not a lot of characters or storylines going on. Poor continuity on the Jennifer front. It's only been a day or 2 in Salem time but viewers haven't seen her since May 24.

It would make no difference when Days showed this episode, today, tomorrow, Wed., next Friday, nxt Monday. What happened in Orlando on Saturday would still have happened. And this episode ...they could have cancelled it completely.....except there will be continuing scenes following within the next week. No one is dead, and on Days, the cop & Joey are shot accidentally.

I do think the follow up to Jen, and to JJ/Rory should have been shown early last week, at the very latest. The editing does not make sense at times. By that, I mean WHERE scenes are inserted, as it is obvious they were filmed at a different time. The whole saga at the commune COULD have been shown over 2 episodes. In fact, in my opinion, today's show would have been a great Friday episode.

Rory now feels he has a target on his back, he think he is being called a narc. But I do like that when he said JJ ruined his life, JJ said no, you did that yourself. You could have gotten clean long ago.

What a bummer for all those who were looking for further developments in the Kate-Deimos-Nicole-Chloe situation. Instead, the viewers were subjected to a very bad remake of Dog Day Afternoon. That things would go badly was clear from the moment that Steve said, "I'm going to talk the kid down." This from a guy who once said that he could "handle" Ava. That said, Roman shouldn't feel so bad now about his inept police force. The California crew displayed extreme ineptitude -- only a few officers on the scene, no professional hostage negotiator, no SWAT team, no vests, no stun grenades, and no tear gas. Finally, regarding poor Rory, Salemites should emulate the "Save Ferris" movement from Ferris Bueller's Day Off and start a "Save Rory" campaign. In fact, a lot of Days viewers might agree that Rory deserves saving more than Ferris ever did.

2112-6184-0.jpg

Ferris: "Save Rory!"

Last edited:
I think Kayla forgot she is a doctor. She didn't attempt to do much, granted you can do a whole lot "in the field", for the cop or Joey.

When I first saw the spoiler that said "JJ helps Julie move items into the Horton House" I knew we would be in for something special. Then when I saw a still photo of the scene my anticipation only grew. And now that I have actually seen the scene? I can say that I have no doubt that someday eons from now some alien civilization will be collecting important moments in human civilization. And today's scene of JJ lugging that steamer trunk will be among such moments as the moon landing, the beginning of the "Who shot JR" saga on "Dallas," and of course the release of Gabi from prison. I personally felt honored to have witnessed it.

JJ and Rory: I also liked JJ not letting Rory off the hook for ruining his own life. I'm wondering could this finally be leading to a story for JJ that could involve Gabi as well? After all what was the point of Eduardo expressing concern about Gabi being involved with a cop if not foreshadowing? And then Rory telling JJ to stay away from him or he's a dead man too plays into that same vein.

If there is a real story here it's not exactly what I was hoping for but beggars can't be choosers so I'll take it. I just hope they're not playing with my emotions again. *sigh*

Last edited:
What the heck was that segment all about?? JJ carries in a trunk, Julie puts on a floppy hat and brings tea to Jen.

Liked that JJ told Rory he messed up all by himself. Maybe something good can come from their friendship-Starsky and Hutch style?

WHEN in the name of all that's holy, will the Joey and Jade mess end??

I have been FF'ing a lot of the commune story with Joey and Jade so I didn't really care for today's episode. As much as I love Steve and Kayla, I feel like they have dragged this thing out too long. I don't know, maybe it's my serious disinterest in the show as a whole lately but I just wasn't feeling it today. Plus, I haven't cared for the acting on the part of the guy who plays Joey. Sorry, not a fan.

I also felt the show was very unbalanced, like they were almost making this a stand alone episode. I enjoyed the scenes with Jennifer/Julie and JJ/Rory but would have liked there to be more emphasis on those stories to balance things out. I still can't believe there were almost three weeks between Jennifer's special episode and now. I guess I'm happy they acknowledged her progress in the addiction story but there never should have been this big of a gap unless it was written that she was going away for treatment. That wasn't the case so there was no excuse here.

Interesting day in Salem and the commune. A lot of names starting with "J"

I wondered why Julie was bringing in so much stuff. We saw her take out a big hat and a
Japanese
doll out of the trunk. They moved pictures around the house again. There were
two separate photos with Tom and Alice behind Jen when she was talking to Julie.

Julie told JJ, Jen was going to meetings. Later, JJ talked to Rory. Rory was upset because
now he was Narc. So we saw two different sides of what happens when you get involved
with drugs.

I liked Jen's dress, but who wears high heels at home.

It was nice to see the Johnson family in a group hug before going back to the commune.

At the commune, Steve kept saying he used to be with the ISA and they would do anything.
Yep, they do, He didn't go to jail for admitting he killed Ava.

I, also, noticed Kayla wasn't acting like a doctor when the cop came out. I guess the cops
in that area are like the ones in Salem. One cop went to the commune to arrest everyone.

Anyone else notice the magical bikes? They weren't there when Joey got in the commune,
but they appeared later.

So I watched the rest of the episode. Was this a Cherrill script?

This may as well have been a dedicated Steve/Kayla/Jeoy episode. Jen was on for what, less than 5 minutes total? Though I did like what she said to Julie. I thought it was realistic.

Like Sparkster said, this episode was unbalanced and not my cup of tea. They should have shown John and Marlena or Belle and Shawn being happy together to balance this out. Instead we get more darkness and gloom and doom. First a hostage situation then 2 people getting shot. Not my cup of tea.

Kudos to James Lastovic (Joey) for a very realistic reaction to getting shot at the end. I liked that he was crying and writhing in pain instead of lying there speaking in a normal voice acting like getting shot was no big deal.

I'm with Sparky on this, not a Joey fan. After he got shot was the 1st time I haven't seen any emotion from him. I kept hoping as time went on, his acting skills would improve but so far that really hasn't happened. It really ruined this scene for me. Shame as the guy that played Dirk did a very good job.

Last edited:
Tedious. Go away Jade and this entire hippy storyline. I lived through the sixties the first time. It is like watching some old "After School Special" or "Movie of the Week" (for those of us old enough to remember them).

Jade doesn't have anyone to look out for her. Boo hoo! Are Steve and Kayla going to adopt her now? The actor who plays Patch is probably dying doing these scenes since he is in his sixties. Of course the actress playing Kate "Bowie" Roberts is also in her sixties and I bet she would rather not be so one dimensional as well. She probably wonders if they have written her into a corner so the only way out is a toe tag. But I digress.

This episode was alright. I'm glad the Joey stuff is starting to end, though I do hope he recovers from his wound. One wonders if this wouldn't have been better off as a May Sweeps episode, so as to bring some action to it, instead of airing in June. But whatever.

I'll admit, I was more excited over Jennifer, Julie, JJ and Rory than the commune people. Maybe because it's been so long since we'd seen the Hortons, and I wanted to know what happened with Jennifer.

Back