Days of our Lives - Monday, April 15, 2024

Every Saturday I send postcards to my grandkids and some friends who are alone or dealing with issues where a postcard can lift a spirit. I send letters to my kids. All told, 14 pieces of mail weekly. When my school-age grandkids travel they have their parents purchase a postcard and they send one to me. I learned in school how to address a letter. Not taught anymore.

Bless the very smart postal imployees. I once got a piece of mail with just my first name, and the name of the Illinois town where I used to live, but the state was Wisconsin with correct zip code. My post man said (when I asked how the heck he knew it was for me) that he noted I got a lot of mail and cards from that Illinois town, so just figured it was probably for me.

I learned in school how to address a letter. Not taught anymore.
True; they also don't teach how to shoe a horse. They do teach programming (my first graders had a programming class in my last district), internet safety, and how to write different types of emails. My teens do all their banking (and shopping) online (partially to avoid people and partially because in our area stores make you buy select sizes, colors, etc., online anyway).

Sorry, pet peeve of mine - I'll step off my soap box now before John and Lucas charge tickets to watch Rafe beat me up.

You are okay Jason. They don't teach cursive anymore either. I'm good with some things no longer being taught, and new things being taught; time changes, technology changes, it's good. When I was put in charge of teaching, even though I wasn't qualified, I had a certificated employee in the room so she was the teacher of record, but it was my class, I had the hardest time teaching kids to think.

At the end of every week I had a 20 point quiz with 15 points being a statement and a what do you think and support your belief with 15 or more words. So you could miss all of the questions about the subject matter, like who won the election or what big event happened in some city. And if you answered the question and supported your answer with 15 words you passed. It was painful, but after a month or so they go the idea and I had more kids passing than not.

As long as free thinkers are encouraged it's all good.

I don't think cursive matters except eventually they won't be able to read it either. Many historical documents are in cursive, but I guess most won't be doing original research where that's important. I don't write in cursive anymore except my name, which is now almost reduced to initials.

Cursive is actually faster because you don't have to pick up your pen for each letter.

Unfortunately, we're going to have generations who can't read historical documents. Or if they get into ancestry, they won't be able to read old birth certificates, death certificates, marriage info, immigration records, ship manifests, census information, etc.

I suppose there are people working on programs to translate cursive to print, but they won't be perfect. Right now there's something known as OCR (optical character recognition). You can scan a document and it'll type it into your system. But unless the original document is perfectly clear, without any blemishes, it makes major mistakes. It also often times doesn't recognize special marks or characters and will type them as gibberish.

For example, one mistake it almost always makes is on words like "corner". It usually thinks the "r" and "n" are an "m" so it types it as "comer".

When I was working for the OVERLORDS we were working on the software being able to take parent's handwritten notes and scanning them into the system to attach to the child as some states require you keep all parental notes for X number of years. My handwriting always crashed the system as did my Latvian programmers. We all wrote the same lines something like "Please excuse Johnny, he was home sick with the flu." My left handed slant was confusing I guess. After several months we had to shelve the project till OCR got better. I bet I could still crash it.

Or if they get into ancestry, they won't be able to read old birth certificates, death certificates, marriage info, immigration records, ship manifests, census information, etc.
Counterpoint: We already in many cases can't, since so many generations were illiterate and could barely write their names. My mother is into genealogy and she has the dirtiest time deciphering people's writing (even the census takers') on old records.

Back