Days of our Lives - Monday, September 11, 2023

Oh, yes, that is typical Days, you are probably right.

Does anyone really name everyone in the family after someone else in the family? Days seems to just pile them up one on top of the other. My husband was named after his father, (who was named after HIS father, etc) and so tho my hubby said if it was a boy, could name it anything I wanted...that is, until the baby was born and was a boy.

Then he insisted the name continue. Fortunately I gave our son a middle name (hubby had none) because upon reaching adulthood, living in same town, cannot begin to tell you all the confusion, especially with businesses. My son began always using his middle initial, to differentiate from his dad. And yes, there was just once I teased hubby......"told you so, confusion reigns"

Back when we first married, we had bank account at same bank as his dad. Well one month, we had checks beginning to bounce. Turned out the BANK had put our deposit into his dad's account! Dad laughed, said if he knew that he would have spent it.......oh, the bank made good, even explained and apologized to the companies that got the bounced checks. Anyway, people need to think twice about using same names in same household.

As it is, when one watches Days, are they talking about young Shawn, or older Shawn? Which Victor Kiriakis? And which Mickey? We have John & Johnny. LOL, I guess if Theresa can change her name (wasn't it Jeannie at first) maybe others can do the same, or use their middle names, or nicknames. :)

I guess if Theresa can change her name (wasn't it Jeannie at first)
Yes, she was named Jeannie at birth. I'm guessing the change to her name as Theresa was to keep her real identity as Kim and Shane's daughter a secret at first, so we just thought of her as some random girl that JJ met. Jeannie didn't have a middle name when she was born, so they wrote it that Theresa was her middle name and she started using it somewhere along the line.

I don't know about GH, but on Y&R and B&B, they usually name their babies after other characters, too. It's not often that soap babies are given names that aren't after someone else.

Holly wasn't named after anyone, but was named Holly due to being born on Christmas Eve.

Tate was indirectly named after Melanie. Since he wasn't a girl, they picked the name Tate, which meant cheerful and happiness, and it was to honor Melanie, who brought cheer & happiness to them all. His original name was Christopher, presumably after Kristen herself, since she carried and birthed him.

Charlotte wasn't named after anyone. There was a brief comment about the name being one of Abby's favorite authors.

Henry's name was random, but his middle name is Lucas after his grandfather.

Ciara and Claire weren't named after anyone either. Both of their names came from online polls that the fans could vote on.

Here are the names the fans could vote on for Ciara:
Cassidy 31%
Darcy 10%
Rori 19%
Bridget 16%
Ciara 24%

Then whittled down to 3: Cassidy Addison, Ciara Alice, Rori Joy (I'm guessing Ciara Alice won due to Alice being the middle name since the name Cassidy got the most votes)

Here were the names to vote on for Claire: Boys: Tyler, Connor and Luke. Girls: Claire, Hilary and Margaret (there was a line when they were trying to name Claire that if she had been a boy, they'd have named him Luke after Lucas)

Joy Wesley wasn't named after anyone. Nancy and Craig asked Chloe if she wanted to name her sister. She picked Joy because of all the joy the baby brought them.

Noel Curtis' name was random, not after anyone. Same with Sarah's name. Maggie just liked the name. Hope and Jennifer weren't named after anyone either. Although Hope was named for the hope the new baby brought to them (Doug and Addie).

You do have a fantastic memory JS, thank you for pointing all that out. Glad some characters got names that weren't handed down. I did think Noel Curtis got the name having been born near Christmas. Oh, well.

I guess the naming depends on how the writer thinks of Days' characters.

Speaking of soap birthdays, Jennifer was born February 6, 1976, but in 2002 they changed her birthday to be September 11th. She felt guilty celebrating her birthday due to the terrorist attacks the year before, but Jack told her it was OK to celebrate and be happy on her birthday.

A big problem is they tend to have more than one with the same name. For example, Jack, there's JJ, Jackson, and Thomas's middle name is Jack. Both Steve and Adrienne named both there kids Joey. Adrienne and Justin named their son Victor. Brady's middle name is Victor and now we have Victoria.

Last edited by a moderator:
But they are all called different names. Jack's son is called JJ. Jackson is called Sonny. No one refers to Thomas as Jack.

Since Joseph Kiriakis (Justin and Adrienne's son) hasn't been in Salem since he was an infant, he's not mixed up with Joey Johnson (Steve's son). Same with Victor Kiriakis II (Justin and Adrienne's son, Joseph's twin); since he's not in Salem, he's not mixed up with the elder Victor Kiriakis.

Nobody calls Brady by his middle name of Victor. Sarah's baby won't be confused with original Victor or Victor II because it's the feminine version, Victoria.

In real life, there are families who use the same name throughout generations and even cousins have the same names. Not really a big deal.

Oh, yes, that is typical Days, you are probably right.

Does anyone really name everyone in the family after someone else in the family? Days seems to just pile them up one on top of the other. My husband was named after his father, (who was named after HIS father, etc) and so tho my hubby said if it was a boy, could name it anything I wanted...that is, until the baby was born and was a boy.

Then he insisted the name continue. Fortunately I gave our son a middle name (hubby had none) because upon reaching adulthood, living in same town, cannot begin to tell you all the confusion, especially with businesses. My son began always using his middle initial, to differentiate from his dad. And yes, there was just once I teased hubby......"told you so, confusion reigns"

Back when we first married, we had bank account at same bank as his dad. Well one month, we had checks beginning to bounce. Turned out the BANK had put our deposit into his dad's account! Dad laughed, said if he knew that he would have spent it.......oh, the bank made good, even explained and apologized to the companies that got the bounced checks. Anyway, people need to think twice about using same names in same household.

As it is, when one watches Days, are they talking about young Shawn, or older Shawn? Which Victor Kiriakis? And which Mickey? We have John & Johnny. LOL, I guess if Theresa can change her name (wasn't it Jeannie at first) maybe others can do the same, or use their middle names, or nicknames. :)
That's why my husband said no junior. Small town too easy to confuse.

You guys are making me dizzy with all this info!! I thought I knew Days, but you have me beat all to peiees!

think Rex feels Sarah should tell Xander the truth.
This would make character sense, if that's a thing we're still supposed to care about.

After all how long will it be until Xander starts feeling "connected" to baby Vicki?

Jennifer weren't named
Jennifer got her middle name from someone though - a lady who helped Laura and Bill, I think? I was a baby so I don't really remember.

To me, soap naming can serve a purpose (like when a family portrayed as Irish follows some Irish naming customs, etc). But usually it's just cheap fanservice.

I didn't know about Ciara and Claire being named by polls. Interesting!!!!

Last edited:
I didn't remember Ciara being named by a poll but I do remember Claire. I thought the girls names to choose from were pretty horrible. lol. They should do that more often. Let fans name them in polls. I hope Nicole doesn't name her baby after someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jennifer got her middle name from someone though - a lady who helped Laura and Bill, I think? I was a baby so I don't really remember.
Yes, Jennifer's middle name of Rose was for the woman who helped deliver her. It was Rose's farm that Jennifer was born on.

Hope's middle name is Alice after after her grandmother.

Still hoping someone names a Horton baby Grayson (boy or girl) after Alice's maiden name.

I didn't remember Ciara being named by a poll but I do remember Claire. I thought the girls names to choose from were pretty horrible.
I hope nobody on this board has one of the names you think were pretty horrible.

Personally, I thought they were all lovely choices, very classic names.

Not like the choices were Apple, Moon Unit, Moxie Crimefighter, Techno Mechanicus, Blue Ivy, Sir, Rumi, Raddix, Pilot Inspektor, Banjo, Dweezil, Beautiful Zepplin, Zillion Heir, Malibu Barbie, Rainbow, Kulture, Wave, Rocket, Rebel, Jupiter, Epik, Ode, Riot or RZA, which are all names celebrities gave their babies.

I’m guessing Xander chalks what Sarah said up to being disoriented from the massive blood loss that Rex didn’t notice or seemed concerned about despite being right there between her legs under the clean, thick wool blanket she gave birth under. Since he was right there, Xander might have thought she was confused. It still would be nice if they had him say that.

My ex-sister in law had the issue discussed—an incompletely delivered placenta. It didn’t manifest until after she was home. I had to drive her to the doctor. It was a bloody scene.

This was the cleanest birth and hemorrhaging ever. I don’t expect them to show everything, but I do expect Rex to tell she’s taken a turn from the blood that would at least be on his gloveless hands (and clothes and shoes), not her pulse. Even just a smear on his shirt, is that just too gross? They show gun shot wounds with blood.

I think something is changed in the story. This is not about the kidnapping or protecting Victoria anymore. Sarah just wants to get back at Xander for what he did to Rachel and Mackenzie.

Last edited:
Sarah forgave Xander for switching Rachel with the deceased Mackenzie. There has been absolutely nothing to indicate she's trying to "get back" at Xander for switching the babies.

She's still holding a grudge over Susan and Bonnie's kidnapping and Susan's supposed death.

Back