Days, Overall

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Been watching this show a lot of years, under a slew of different headwriters, & a few different "owners" all of whom have had different ideas, different thoughts on characterizations, couplings, story ideas. We viewers are no different when it comes to whatever goes on, who comes aboard, who leaves. Actors, characters have come and gone. So have writers. The one consistent thing is the viewers....especially those who weather the bad, enjoy the good, & try to get the show to change the ugly. LOL

Me, I loved Steve & Kayla, their meeting, the road to their eventual pairing, romance, marriage, children. Bo & Hope started before I began watching, but really liked them together, loved Bo & Steve's friendship. Kim & Shane were really nice, Jack arrived & was very different, to me. A lost soul. Finding his family was a long journey, and a wonderful one. There they were, Steve, Jack, Adrienne and their wonderful mom, Jo.

The evil Victor, Stefano, Andre...yes, evil, but ones you enjoyed watching be evil. Oh, there are more, ....Vivian, Peter Blake, Orpheus, .......and then there is Kristen.

It's a shame, in my opinion, that Kristen has been written and very well portrayed, as someone I just don't like. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. Keep expecting a soft spot somewhere, and it never comes.

And then we have sanctimonius Eric. A man who does all kinds of wrongs, but won't own up to them, blaming others, mostly Nicole.

Currently, Days is not telling story that is compelling in any way. Many vets are shoved onto the back burner, (John, Marlena, Steve. Kayla, Jack, Jen, Abe, Rafe, Kate, Roman among others) just to tell inane, uninteresting tales for others. Justin, Bonnie, Xander, Gwen, Sarah, Sonny......all being ill used.

I think one of the problems is that when they originally write a character to be a villain, they don't write it well enough or the audience actually likes them and then they have to try to do something to turn them around to keep them. I think Xander is one of those. I have NO IDEA why people like Gwen, but they seem to, and the writers keep going back and forth having her try to "go good," but it never takes. As far as Kristen goes, when she was played by Eileen Davidson, she did have some of those nuances. This Kristen is horrible and completely unlikeable, and yet, the writers never let her suffer any long-term consequences.

I do agree that none of the current stories are interesting, either because the writing is so predictable that we know how it will end; they keep bringing back characters for short term appearances, which actually disrupt the story lines; or the story lines are just dumb. And they keep featuring characters we don't like for Ron's amusement and pleasure.

There are too many long-term characters that we never see because the new ones are on taking up space and the rotation of the actors is so far apart that we forget or don't care about what stories they were in by the time it is their turn again.

There's really no investment in any stories. No actual romance happening although I was a little shocked that Alex and Stephanie were having a date. Gabi and Li just fell into bed and boom relationship. Chad is interested in Stephanie I guess because they worked two nights together or something.

Other so called romances have some bad backdrop. Nicole and Rafe deserved a real shot at going from friends to dating but they had to throw Ava in. I was warming to Gwen with Xander but they had to blow that up and make Gwen a jerk.

And the more random stories are awful. Paulina is being used as more of her 227 character. Chanel and Allie seem to have no purpose. Not sure why Sonny is around but it's a reason for Leo to be there so I'm for that. Leo is about the only thing I slow down for. I like funny campy Leo but not evil Leo so hopefully it holds and I do like funny Gwen.

I hate to say it but if they wrapped up the stories and ended this I wouldn't really miss it. I sort of watch out of habit and a little bit like I'm rubbernecking. It's not worth it for them to fund this show so we end up with people who have good jobs and paychecks living in one room. And I'm not sure why they had to redecorate Victor's and DiMansion but I spend most of those scenes distracted by it. Bad art in DiMansion and where a door once was now they go into a room. At Victor's the front door has moved I guess. HELLO! Write something so I don't have to entertain myself this way.
:rotfl:

Oh and I fear them trying to write too much for the older characters because they'll just do some over the top outrageous nonsense. And I'm still not over that devil stuff going on forever. Marlena goes to Mars is not something I'm up for.

All good points, and it's the filming delay. They respond to a villainous character's popularity too late, and notably, to pairings' chemistry too late. This also works in reverse, so Sarah was shown the door even though the tide had turned for her popularity as a character, so they had to pretzel story to get her back. Or when they tried to have a few months of "reformed" Ava only to torpedo that because people weren't buying it, when they could have just sent her on her way, or developed the idea further. We end up with story whiplash.

There's also something weird with the casting/hiring decisions. We have so many recurring/half-hearted roles on the show. They're trying to make too many folks happy and it's making nobody happy. I'd rather Marlena and John retire to Florida and visit periodically than watch them interact with their sons' rapist, their former kidnapper, and multiple attempted murderer.

Ditto the DiMera dumb-asty. EJ should have stayed dead, and no kids should have been added (looking at you André, Stefan, Jake, and Chad) this century to the Phoenix's already-inexplicable list of offspring. A different crime family could have worked, or short term grey characters who rotate as a heavy.

The show also lacks good characters making bad, but not feloniously criminal choices. (Still raging over Lucas being re-written as Sami's kidnapper.) The closest we got was Rafe/Nicole, and that was poorly set up and immediately trashed after the payoff. (I don't count the murdering ex-hooker Kate as a good character, so her lie of omission doesn't meet this standard.) In fact, the only thing we really get in Salem that approaches this is one-night-stands, which can be good if not overdone.

I agree with all of you. The show's filming schedule is the biggest issue, and it underlines everything. But I honestly am the most frustrated at wasted potential. Chanel and Tripp, heck even Chanel and Johnny, all had good potential to be pairings that could hold down the younger set. I also enjoyed Allie with Tripp, but they were never given a fine and fair chance.

Ditto Rafe & Nicole, which I think everyone knows. This was a pair of friends that reminded me of Gossip Girl's Dan & Blair (which also unwisely ended prematurely). They started out as very different people who didn't care for each other, built a years-long friendship and finally fell in love and got together. And they were discarded for Eric--who not only had a decent relationship with Jada (that could've gone somewhere) after he left the priesthood, but was only going to end up falling in bed with Sloan. Then there's EJ & Nicole, a couple I love and want to be endgame, but they were trashed last year for no reason as well, and I hope they get it right now if they go in that direction.

EJ was also wasted with Belle. Sure, I wanted her with Shawn-D in the end, but I ended up liking their dynamic. I also really loved Lucas and Sami being back together. But they ruined those relationships for no reason whatsoever, and totally destroyed the character of Lucas. Meanwhile, ever since his fling with Belle ended and Sami left town, EJ has been involved in the most boring corporate storyline that seemed to randomly throw Ava in. I really want to understand the writers' thinking, because it's almost as if they truly believe the fans will enjoy the trash. It just seems like most of the episodes nowadays are filler or that they're teasing us with good plot points that are aborted for seemingly no reason...

I began watching when Days premiered and have suffered through good and bad storylines, writers, characters, etc. but I didn't give up until now. The terrible writing, undeveloped characters, destruction of well-loved characters and hodge-podge of what's good now and bad tomorrow is destructive to the entire program. When I decided to give up the program after the move to Peacock I thought I would miss it but I DON'T. I periodically read the summary, but there is nothing that makes me want to watch.

I wonder sometimes if ReRon likes to read Tweets and see all the negative/positive things he's doing
to the show.

The Eric and Nicole fans were excited when it looked like they were getting back together. Now their
fans are fuming at what happened.

It feels like he wants to keep all the couple fans happy at the same time.

Ugh, I forgot about the Lucas stuff. I was really enjoying where that story started and boom. Lucas and Sami have always loved each other even when they hated each other. That entire thing got us nowhere since Lucas is now off screen anyway. Should have finally had them get back together with Sami going off on EJ even more than she did. Then off to the sunset of whatever with returns as needed. All of that from start to finish was pointless and now what we'll probably get is a return from Sami when Nicole ends up with Rafe because they think a Sami return is some ratings bump for them.

Back