Days' sets

maruuac

Reaction score
The sets on Days seem to be few and far between- we are so limited as to what we are seeing compared to other daytime shows. The color schemes are atrocious (just how much mauve do we have to endure?) and it is the same thing every single day. Can't remember when I last saw Hope's house or Alice's kitchen. ....................

Maybe the budget should go less for the wardrobe and more for the sets? I would be perfectly fine seeing these actresses in blue jeans. It would make them more normal to me. Who do we really see wearing low cut dresses to the office (Nicole/Serena) and who wears these dresses for just a night out at the pub or John's new place? Show me some jeans and some nice sweaters/shirts and lets see some more sets!!:clap:

deleted spoiler in non-spoiler forum...........Poirot

I would be perfectly fine seeing these actresses in blue jeans. It would make them more normal to me. Who do we really see wearing low cut dresses to the office (Nicole/Serena) and who wears these dresses for just a night out at the pub or John's new place? Show me some jeans and some nice sweaters/shirts and lets see some more sets!!

:clap: :clap: And that goes re Chloe, too!

Whatever happened to Salem Place, the real outdoor mall? I believe it was a former set of gift shops owned by NBC Studios. DAYS started taping scenes there around 1993, but I can't remember when they stopped. Does anyone know when and why they stopped using 'Salem Place?'

No, it wasn't an outdoor mall or any gift shops. (I was there). It was an outdoor set placed in sort of cubbyhole. It had a door to go into the NBC studios, and another to exit after the tour. It had a Ballistix set, that they would change the name for a jewelry store, bridal salon, etc. There was also a sort of fake order & pass thru for Johnny's Burgers (where Nicole first worked when she came to Salem) . It was really small, but I think viewers really liked it. The exit doors were used as movie theater exit doors, when they needed a scene like that. NBC decided they needed the space (to hold wait lines) and so the entire thing was dismantled.

I feel for the actors, who really cannot walk around a set, they are so small, so must usually stand still wherever they are in a scene.

Nope..........After Victor threw her out penniless, she met a lady at a woman's shelter, and then got a job waitressing at the Hudson St. Diner, (courtesy of Fay, Nicole's mother).
Johnny's Burgers set was practically the size of an outhouse. Had the passthru window, but really, nothing else. No one was ever inside. Except the waitress. LOL. There was a table or two outside (I think they are now in Horton Square) which is where Nicole took orders or brought something at times.

Right now we get about a quarter of the Pub, mostly the nurse's station at the hospital, the corporate offices in the Square (I mean those tables there........an insult to corporations everywhere).......and the multi-purpose office where they move the desk to a different wall so it will look like different ones. You know.......Hope's, Rafe's, Daniel's, Jen's, etc. etc.
Lauren Koslow (Kate) did an interview, mentioning the smaller sets because of "new additional sets". She was talking of Eric & Ben's apartments. So at both DiMansion, and the Kmansion, they are using a smaller "room" now.

What a fabulous post, I have enjoyed reading all the messages in this fantastic thread! :) I really loved Salem Place and especially the pier! I loved how Brady and Chloe often went to the pier for solitude only to find each other there. Although a dark and dreary place I thought there was something magical about it! I also liked the Salem park when the scene was equipped with a swing! I remember when Brady saved Chloe from a bunch of thugs and they ended up in the park. At the end of the episode Brady was pushing Chloe on a swing! It was a great episode and I knew that Brady truly cared and had feelings for Chloe!

I also like the out of studio scenes! :) It gives the show some more pizzazz!

It's a tragedy what's happened to the sets at Days. Every time I watch another show, I'm struck by how cheap-looking our show has become. That's not a way to attract new viewers, or keep old ones. (Maybe it would work if they invested in the characters and writing, but they also don't do that.)

I was a big fan of the pier set, and Salem Place, the main hangout during my teen years (and Austin/Carrie/Sami/Lucas/Jamie's).

The thing about the sets is that it detracts from the scene. By using the same exact office for basically every character in Salem except for Nicole, it causes confusion when watching the scene because you can't figure out whose office they are in. Not to mention the fact that it is just annoying. Same goes for the Donovan sisters' apartments and Ben/Eric's apartments. Fans are not stupid--it is noticeable and it's distracting.

I just miss the home sets we used to see. I wish they had used that "cabin" set as Aiden's home in Salem rather than his house in Portland. I enjoyed seeing the characters in that home environment. I miss Marlena's townhouse and Bo/Hope's house too. That said I would also love to see Salem Place and the Pier again. The HTS set has become a joke. It's too small therefore it's hard to show more than one set of characters at a time. With the Salem Place set, you could have 2-3 sets of characters at a time on that set and not interacting with one another.

The funny thing is, The Salem Place area was really very small, but they easily made it look larger, plus they would film on the sidewalk in front of it. Really DID make it look larger, and you could make it seem bigger.
Horton Town Square is nothing more than a bunch of fake store fronts with a few tables in front of them. The "park" is a joke. Greg Meng originally claimed the stores would be able to swing out, we would be INSIDE a store with characters, etc. And that never happens. It is actually more like those fake towns in old westerns....all fake fronts, with no inside. (You learn a lot doing studio tours, lolol)

I said this some time ago, it is even truer today. Days is so close to being just like a radio show. All the actors standing on a stage, with several mikes, saying their lines. No need for sets, just change places with other actors. Just add the sound effects, lol.

Honestly now.....what is the need for Victor's new club. It is a nightclub, Days characters just do not go "clubbing" every night. We lost the Blue Note, The Penthouse Grill, Shenanigans where Salemites used to do night life. We lost Chez Rouge for the special dinner nights out, The Hudson St. Diner, Johnny's burgers for a quick, fast meal. And even the Pub doesn't seem to serve food any more. There are NO homey kitchens, Folks who live in huge mansions have to eat in their living rooms, or studies. And then it is always just a small plate/dish of fruit.
Titan has no offices, no conference room, just Brady's cell phone. And those apartments with the kitchen in the living room have no table at which to eat. LOL

Yep. Ben could easily be working at the Pub......heck, both Gabi & Nick had jobs there, and it really would be nice to have a continual familiar face there. Rafe should NEVER have been fired from the Salem P.D. Suspended for a short time, maybe. His life has been police type work.
Let Victor sell that club, or have it burn down, disappear like a lot of other places.
And the city council, Police board, or whatever they can come up with, reinstate Rafe.

@daysdg.....you can google Salem Place, Days of our Lives images, and get some pics, but, really, they are not all that good. (Plus differ a bit from what I saw in person). I do miss Salem Place, which I liked much better than Horton Square. In fact. Java Cafe replaced Johnny's Burgers there, and then I believe Dot.Com replaced Java Cafe.

Horton Square is so overdone....it has gotten super boring.

Back