DiMera Mansion

maruuac

Reaction score
When Jennifer was lighting into Abby today about living in such a dark house with such a horrific history, I started looking around that room they were sitting in and thinking about what I would do to brighten this place up and give it a much needed face lift.

That horrible wallpaper would have to go and so would the draperies. It's probably a big no-no, but I'd also be painting some of that woodwork white. What would you change if you could re-decorate the DiMansion?

Well, I'm no interior designer, but, I would definitely get a lighter colored wallpaper, lighter drapes in color and material, lighter colored and solid carpeting, more modern and lighter colored furniture, and I'd get rid of all the dark and gloomy portraits and knick knacks and decorations. I also would replace Stefano's portrait with a family portrait of Abigail, Chad, and Thomas.

Sami and Kate had redecorated the DiMera mansion a lot more brighter in color with lots of floral arrangements before Stefano and Andre moved back in. I kind of have the feeling Abby may have it similar.

Stefano's portrait is already gone. It's been replaced with a landscape.

I would keep the drapes open. That would let lighten up the room. Different
furniture would help too.

Actually, one doesn't have to lighten the woodwork. It is the other dark, heavy, gothic type furnishings that make the rooms so gloomy and depressing. Definitely get rid of all the furniture & museum appearing decor/paintings/statuary/knickknacks.
Yes, lighter color wall paper, window treatments, solid color carpeting perhaps, oak desk, tables, comfortable easy chairs. A home that looks as though one does not have to wear a suit, tie.....or high heels, pearls in order to sit down. :)

It's probably a big no-no, but I'd also be painting some of that woodwork white.

Noooooooooo, please!!!!! Lay off that very expensive woodwork and paneling! Decorate around it. I never paint natural woodwork... or brick. :eek:

As far as a general "brightening up" goes, the new sunshine-light toy will help immensely. :)

Am very much looking forward to the loss of those living room drapes. :clap:

Oh Lordy, talk about having Stefano roll in his grave! Imagine him knowing strangers were picking through his DiMera treasures for pennies on a dollar, all set up on folding tables on the lawn. :rotfl:
Certain items are probably of historic value and could be donated to the Salem historical society. Imagine visitors looking at the DiMera Love Couch while a guide explains its "colorful" history to visitors.

I would eliminate the doors and knock down some of the wall making it more open concept to the front hall.
If the renovators are as bad at their jobs as everyone else in Salem, they'd probably knock down load-bearing walls causing the DiMansion to completely collapse like the House of Usher in the old Edgar Allen Poe story.

I would eliminate the doors and knock down some of the wall making it more open concept to the front hall.
If the renovators are as bad at their jobs as everyone else in Salem, they'd probably knock down load-bearing walls causing the DiMansion to completely collapse like the House of Usher in the old Edgar Allen Poe story.
That was literally my first thought when I read that post, about knocking down load-bearing walls. LOL

Get rid of the dark draperies, stuffy furniture. Add some color and lightbulbs. Lose the candelabra lighting!

Are they still in the upstairs den (or where ever it is) or are they back on the main floor? It's do dark I can't tell.
Although I do think the main living room had a bit more light coming through the patio doors.

To start with, open the damn curtains and stick a big light outside the window to simulate daylight. Maybe lighter coloured curtains.

Lighten up some of the furniture in there. Get some lighter coloured cushions or something. Maybe lighter wallpaper, but if that's too hard, start with the easier stuff.

Oh, my Robin, and they even have a Mary working there. Do you think perhaps her name was originally Maria?

I am going to have to start paying attention to who is directing, because they sure are using a lot of low lighting of late. Sort of surprised me when Shawn came into Club Edge and it was so light and bright, one could see the very colorful red chairs everywhere.......which I never noticed before. LOL

Back