Edited by Poirot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk Milly

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here. There's something I don't quite understand...
I gather "Poirot" is the admin of the site, but what exactly is his/her system to editing posts?
It kind of frightens me and makes me feel unwelcome. The reason I left the Hulu discussion boards is because people got to so vicious and power hungry over posts. Now I fear writing certain things because I will get edited by an authoritative figure. I don't think my words should be taken away from me....
help me understand??

No one here is vicious or power hungry. The only time I have seen Poirot edit a post is when one of the few rules have been broken. Like no spoilers in a NON spoiler forum, criticizing/bashing an actor, or being rude to another member of the board. This is a very pleasant, friendly board to be on. We do have our disagreements and everyone is allowed to their own opinion, as long as it does not become personal. Poirot is always fair and upfront about why a post was edited.

Welcome to the Salem Spectator.:)

Hello Hawk Milly,

I've been having the same problem. So many boards now are vicious and angry, their admins dropping or changing things in post without any reguard for their meaning. The internet boards are a vicious place indeed. But this board is different. I lurked here for about six months before I finally got up the courage to post. And I'll tell you why this was the board I decided to take that chance with.

This board is intolerant. To flaming, viciousness, cursing and every concievable way to insult someone. This place is the most friendly welcoming place I have found on the internet to date. The people here will treat you with respect, and where not everyone will agree with what you may say your opinion WILL be respected. Great debates might start but no one will berate you make you feel silly or stupid.

As for the editing issue, Poirot is just making sure our posts are appropriate and in the right space. I think I can safely say that unless you sprout off some evil, ignorant, any kind of racial/sexist, mean or degrading statements, your voice will be heard in it's entirety. In the time I've lurked here I've never once seen someone's post just magically disapear. As long as you are respectful and civil what you say matters. And I truly believe that here that is more true than most other places.

I'm sure Poirot will tell you whatever you wanted to know. She's terribly nice :) But I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone here. And I wanted to welcome you as warmly as they welcomed me. And let you know that this is a great place to be. Welcome! And I hope you are as glad you joined as I am. :)

Kitten

Welcome to our Spectator family, Hawk Milly. Please don't be afraid to post. If you have questions, you can post asking for help as you did here, read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), and check out the "Sticky" threads that appear at the top of most of the forums. Remember that we all started out as newbies at sometime. I lurked for a long time before I joined in.

As Jammers and Badkiten said, Poirot bends over backwards to make this a safe friendly board. We have members all ages from young teens to 90's.

Most cursing is auto-changed by the program used for the board. If Poirot edits, moves, or deletes your post, she will always give a reason. Sometimes it'll be in a private message to the poster (now called a "conversation"). Say if she moves a post containing spoilers to the Crystal Ball, then she'll put the reason directly in the thread. If threads start getting mean or snarky, she will give a warning in the thread and / or to the posters. If it doesn't stop, she'll close the thread.

I had belonged to quite a few other Days boards, but none are as friendly and welcoming as the Spectator. Once I jumped in here with both feet, there was no going back to the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back