Eggplant "Pizza" Casserole

K

ktspirit

By request, here is the recipe. It sounds just like the one my mother made, but she didn't have a recipe. The casserole part is at the very end. Mama said she layered her ingredients and used spaghetti sauce.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/7235e2e8/easy-crispy-eggplant.html

EASY CRISPY EGGPLANT
2 small eggplants
1/2 c. fine dry bread crumbs
2 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly minced parsley
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. ea. celery seed, paprika (optional)
1/4 tsp. ea. garlic and onion powder
salt and pepper
3 cloves garlic, whole
3 tablespoons olive oil

Wash and slice eggplant and sprinkle generously with salt. Allow to sit out for 30 minutes.

Rinse and pat dry.

Set out 2 shallow dishes or trays. (We like to use aluminum foil or plastic plates for easy cleanup).

Into the first tray, measure bread crumbs, parsley, celery seed, 1/2 of the cheese, paprika, garlic and onion powder (do not substitute garlic or onion salt).

In the second tray, beat the 2 eggs well with a fork. Add the chopped parsley and the other half of the cheese.

Heat a pan with 1/4 inch olive oil (does not need to be extra virgin for frying purposes).

Add the garlic in whole pieces; as the oil toasts the garlic, mash it into the oil with the tines of a fork to flavor the oil; remove before browning.

Meanwhile, dip the eggplant into the egg mixture, turn to coat both sides; dip and coat both sides in the bread crumb mixtures. Fry in hot olive oil over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes or until golden on both sides and eggplant is tender in center.

If eggplant is later to be baked in a casserole, fry only until edges are browned as cooking will be finished in the oven.

Serve as is, seasoned to taste with salt and pepper, or bake in a casserole dish for 30 minutes at 375°F topped with grated Parmesan, mozzarella and pasta sauce.

kt ~ thanks for sharing this! I'm going to give it a try. I have been grain-free for several weeks, so I can't use bread crumbs. But I may have accidentally invented a great substitute! I was trying to make "chips" that I could use in nachos or for dipping. Well, they taste good but are far too fragile for dipping. But I can crush them and use them as the bread crumbs in this recipe. I'll let you know how that turns out. removed texting symbols - JS

It is in the oven now. Here is what I've learned so far: I needed more than 1/2 cup bread crumbs, and you definitely want "grated" parm. I had only the shredded on hand, and it doesn't mix in the way the grated would.

Maybe my eggplants weren't "small", but I think that next time I'll double the ingredients in that dry mix.

I used a "texting symbol"? What was it? I don't usually do that, and will make an effort to refrain from doing so. Maybe I didn't realize that whatever it was was a "texting symbol".

Just a small comment. My mom was also one who just "did" without a recipe, as did many of my older aunts, etc. Trial & error I guess, is what eventually made the dish "delish". My mother made the most fantastic cheese torte, and pie crust. She passed away years ago, and so did those "ways".It is even harder when you have to "sub".
Lil0....am glad you are trying this right away.......

ktspirit that looks AMAZEBALLS! Are you Italian, too? Reminds me of something my nonna would make. I should share some goodies on here we make at home. But eggplant, mmmm, my fave. I will try this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back