From SOD -

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is all from the Days Preview issue, with all the Days characters pictured on the cover.. Lots of different articles.....

Yes, Alison Sweeney (Sami) will be returning end of summer, Sept., is currently filming. She mentions loving the story for her last visit, says she was contacted last Fall about returning. And she is excited about this new chapter in Sami's saga, further saying " Ron tinkered around with it, until he found a story that was different, but at same time super-exciting, definitely a roller coaster ride, and really fun".

Justin has Lani on the stand during Gabi's trial, manages to get her to admit sleeping with Gabi's boyfriend. This throws JJ, who punches Eli, then is held in contempt of court. Yep, another expose' in front of tons of people. When Lani & JJ finally are able to talk privately, she explains the when, etc., wanting to tell him, blah, blah. He asks if the baby is his, Her silence, & tears tells him the answer.

Chad shows up in Hong Kong, but ends up in some kind of problem, getting arrested in the process. Chloe returns, and though she is dating Lucas, someone sends her flowers. We also see a return of Belle & Shawn in Hong Kong, where Belle not only helps Chad with his problems, but is asked by Hope to get her a divorce from Rafe. We are going to see a bit more of that Pub bartender, Jeff, who dates Sonny.

Rafe finally is able to get thru on phone to Hope, wants her to come home.....no luck, she lets him know she is filing for divorce.

They do mention Steve getting John to accept the fact Steve forgives him, Chloe & Lucas go ice skating (that sounds fun!) Sonny warns Paul about Will....(???) Kate confronts Stefan! Eli surprises Gabi, & Jen gets some sort of good news.

Laughed at the name those guys (you've seen the pic of the Salem Males about to play some baseball). Stephen Nichols (Patch) says the team name is the Salem Chowder Boys. LOLOL

Carolyn Hinsey, the opinion columnist for all the soaps, opines that Days is the farthest from real life, commenting a bit of past outlandish storylines, (Carly buried alive, killing all the A characters and sending to Melaswen, and performing "heart transplant in abandoned cabin with butter knife" ...obviously a nod to Dr. St. Daniel).....then goes on about Abby's split personalities, refers to the comedy team of Vivian & Stefan, Hope marrying Rafe alone in the cabin before the next day reception, & John poisoning Steve story, along with Maggie leaving Victor, Julie prying about it. LOL

Then there is a great several page interview with Bryan Dattilo (Lucas) who will be celebrating 25 yrs. on Days, and praises the help he got when he first began from Deborah Adair (Kate #1) who sat with him running lines, helping, as he had a hard time memorizing so many lines.

A small section devoted to how stars handle their heavy duty love scenes....Eric Martsolf (Brady) says he has a pair of giant, silly looking, pink slippers and puts them on, which really breaks the ice for the heavy duty stuff to be done.

Then the mag does some "best of" on the soaps......so for Days, in their opinion....

Best tearjerker story...Zack Dies;
Best Triangle - Carrie/Austin/Sami;
Best Back from the Dead....return of Will Horton;
Best Location shoot - New Orleans.
Best Teen Scene.....The Last Blast kids.
Best Tradition - Hanging the Christmas Ornaments.
Best Risk - The Salem Stalker (where the major characters were killed, 10 of them, then revealed to have not been killed!)
Best Villainess - Kristen DiMera, citing most of her dastardly deeds after 2012.

they also cover the 2004 storylines for the various soaps, when Shawn Sr. left, original Belle left the show, Jack returned, Julie Pinson came on a Billie, Salem Stalker storyline, Sami & Lucas engaged but Kate recruits Brandon to break them up, Jan holds Shawn prisoner in a cage, The Last Blast set were changing partners, sleeping with each other, etc. JJ was born in the jungle...a few more.

think I covered nearly everything in there....sure was a lot this issue.

Does it mention how long Sami is staying?

No, it doesn't. But if Ron "tinkered", and wrote something that is Super exciting, a roller coaster ride.......then she is sure to be around longer than a couple days. Am GUESSING a few weeks. Unfortunately, it just others who get the 3 or 4 episode gigs.

Sure would not be different, would it? I mean, did not Sami herself show up pregnant at Carrie/Austin's wedding, after leaving town, then returning? Back then, she claimed it was Austin's baby, although it really was Lucas's.

So 25 years later, she does the same thing?

Only saying Alison seems to indicate Ron wrote this super exciting story. And honestly, to have Sami return pregnant doesn't seem, to me, to be super exciting.

Best Back from the Dead....return of Will Horton;
I'll agree with that one. It was original and unexpected, though I wouldn't have been unhappy if Paige and Serena had been unkilled too.
Best Teen Scene.....The Last Blast kids.
Harumph. It was actually Sami/Lucas/Jamie/Carrie.
Best Triangle - Carrie/Austin/Sami;
I'd vote John/Marlena/Roman. Story for decades.

Only saying Alison seems to indicate Ron wrote this super exciting story. And honestly, to have Sami return pregnant doesn't seem, to me, to be super exciting.
Hear hear. Especially since Sami has had all kinds of soap pregnancy already - twins by different dads, concealed pregnancy (x2), off-screen real-life pregnancy (Stan), and paternity snafu (x2+1). Unless she's pregnant by an alien, ghost, or werewolf, there's nothing that would be unique here.

LOL, Jason!

I also did not agree with some of the choices. It surprised me that there was no "best villain" but instead a villainess. Even more interesting is that on B&B and GH, it was Best Villain...listing females. But Y&R had no villain.
See, thru the years, I would say Best Villain on Days would have been Stefano DiMera.....there was no time frame on this section, so it just surprised me for Days, it was Kristen the editiors chose. Also, the other soaps had different categories completely, maybe 1 or 2 the same. Twas a bit odd.

By the way, when they go over 2004, they do some cancelled soaps along with ones currently running....As the World Turns, Guiding Light, One Life to Live, Passions, All My Children...some are just bits, some more fully related.

I'd also like to point out that Alison Sweeney's (Sami) Murder She Baked series on Hallmark is done. I know she mentions other projects and being busy but I don't see a lot of evidence of that on her social media. I would not be surprised if this became a more permanent stint this time but perhaps with a lot of flexibility for her to do other stuff.

I'd vote John/Marlena/Roman. Story for decades.

I agree with you. I also never considered Carrie/Austin/Sami to be a triangle. The Sami part always came off as forced or one-sided.

Best lists usually prompt efforts at a "worst" list. Here are a few.

Worst tearjerker story - EJ Dies (admittedly, this probably wasn't meant to be a tearjerker, but Sami did some weeping);
Worst Triangle - Eric, Serena, and Fred the Elephant;
Worst Future Back from the Dead - EJ (yes, there's no sign of this happening yet, but if it did, it would be the absolute worst);
Worst Faux Return from the Dead: Stefano in Prague, which implicated Salem "good guys" in criminal activity;
Worst Effort at Portraying a Foreign Locale - Tie: Prague and Athens cafes;
Worst Teen Scene. - Ciara, Claire, and Little Trippy;
Worst Tradition - Sami saying "EJ has changed";
Worst Villainess - Psycho Mermaid Summer Townsend, Maggie's surprise daughter and Dario's little helper.
Worst Portrayal of Sexual Activity - The infamous Sami-EJ "hate boink";
Worst SORASing - Replacing fan favorite child Ciara played by Lauren Boles with Teen Ciara the First.

DrBakerFan I wish I could double like all your ideas.

Really not a fan of Carolyn Hinsey. Several years ago I wrote to Soap Opera Digest when she used a highly inappropriate expression implying the "F" word. There was no doubt what she wrote. They never responded, she continued to write and I cancelled a subscription I had for over 30 years. I know she is an opinion writer but they allowed it to be published.
:tsk:

Back