Hatfields & McCoys

And here I thought maybe it was cuz there was an "echo"....

An ancestor of my late husband was named Daniel Boone Wolford. When they went to name the "holler" after him, no one knew how to correctly spell Boone so it is known as Bone's Branch.

my husband's family still lives in Pound, VA -- and they all call it the "holler" where his grandma lives (well, they call her "Mamaw" and they call Grandpa "Pappaw". They said they call it the holler cause they was related to everyone on the mountain, so instead of botherin' with the phone, they just hollered most of the time lol. and they still do... since we're all related, the kids tend to run around the holler all day..and at dinner time, you hear all of us hollerin' for them to get home! haha... my girls love it...they never get that kind of freedom down here, so when we visit up there, and they have free run of the mountain side... it's like heaven for them. their cousins show them all around the holler every time we visit.

While truly this is all facinating information and history lessons, plus learning that several of our long time regular DAYS OF OUR LIVES posters are related to the historical characters represented in the series, can we remember this thread is about the TV SERIES?

Oh, my gosh, talk of small world, etc. Love reading all this.

I am such a geneology buff that it is like I cannot get enough of this. I love all of this, and want to thank those descendants of the Hatfields and/or McCoys for all they can contribute. I love it all.

While truly this is all facinating ... can we remember this thread is about the TV SERIES?

Color me confused.gif .

Sorry if I offended you but the heading at the top of this thread states Hatfields & McCoys. Maybe you should consider starting a new thread before getting so excited and being rude........

My, my, my.......You just dissed and were rude to the board owner / administrator. One thing that we all must remember is that we post here at Poirot's discretion.

Poirot does not need to start a new thread. You can start one. Please read the FAQ first.

Well, what a surprise. A brand new poster, welcomed with open arms, is telling the board owner how to moderate "properly". So, first off, let's clarify a bit here. This is a Days of Our Lives message board. Everyone here either watches currently, or has watched, or if being unable to watch, wants to keep up with what is going on with their favorite SOAP OPERA. Many have posted with each other for years and years. i.e. I have "known" KathyLu at least 15 years, from another Days board I moderated and this one. Me, I have been a moderator for about 15 years, and have owned this one for around 7 I think. The members here are not bloggers, they are posters. Some are here for several years, some just a year or two, some a few months, or maybe just a few weeks. No one needs to tell me how to moderate a board.

Most of the forums here are devoted to Days of Our Lives, one way or another, but we have a couple of them for various other things, i.e. a cookbook, jokes, fun & games.... This particular forum, Daze & Knights is a sort of hodgepodge of subjects. TV shows, movies, prayer requests, even advice at times.
The Hatfields & McCoys was a TV series on the History channel, touted for days on other stations, in magazines, news shows, etc. And what a surprise and delight when our long time poster, KathyLu turned out to be directly related to one of the families. Fortunately, for us, she watched the entire 3 days of shows, and thus could point out the inaccuracies of some of what we saw. And then we find we have Hatfield descendants here, as well. Also remarking about the liberties taken with what "really happened".
The series was depicting historical events, and undoubtably took liberties. No different than what we have seen in various ways of Custer's Last Stand or The Gunfight at O.K. Corral. None of us have seen those recently, so no idea if we might have some descendants of those folks among us.:)

We have posters intrigued by a new series on TV, Dallas...which is a continuation of the old series that ended years ago. And there is a thread discussing that show, too.Plus a lot of posters living in the area. Ha.
Meanwhile, I truly appreciate that our posters have shared with us thoughts & family stories in re: what we saw depicted and what really was the case with the Hatfield/McCoy feud.

MR. REALMCCOY...I am sorry you misunderstood what this web site was all about when you googled for info on your ancestors. Perhaps you should consider writing a book since you have done so much research and assembled so much factual information about your family. We have a poster who just finished writing a book that was published, another who publishes children's books, and one who has a website devoted to her beautiful poetry.

As one who has done a lot of geneology research, I know how exciting it is to find family unexpectedly, it happened to me.....but on a geneology message board. I do think it fantastic that anyone knows real stories about their long ago ancestors, not just info from the census records of 1880.

I have deleted my stories. Hopefully things will cool back down and get back to normal on this thread. I again apolagize for any discomfort I may have created.

My great grandfather, Larkin McCoy, had a huge part in the feud but was not mentioned in the movie. He told my dad that he was the one who shot Jim Vance. Jim was behind a tree and, when he stepped out, Larkin mortally wounded him by shooting him in the privates and was going to let him bleed to death. At that point, Frank Phillips shot Jim Vance in the head and polished his boots with his brain. Larkin told daddy that he killed six men in the feud.

Oh my gosh, no wonder he slept with a bandana over his face.

I know I am digging up an old post here, but I'd like to know (if those who can tell it are willing to..) what is the real story (as you know it) of the Hatfield and McCoy feud? I heard stories growing up, but I'm neither from the area or of blood relation to either family, so I'd like to know the story/inaccuracies of the History Channel's version. One way or another, I do realize either side will have varying tales, but please. I would like to know what stories were passed down to living relatives.

lol. Paging KathyLu. Please come to Aisle 6.

As an aside, I saw last night at WalMart I think it was, the mini-series is now out on one DVD.

However, the series on TV about the Hatfield/McCoy feud drew enormous numbers of viewers, and guess I was just one of those who found it hard to follow. There sure were a lot of deaths, tho. Wow.

I tried to watch it but just could not get through the first two hours. I was surprised the series got such a good rating.

Back