Hey! What happened to the Media and Gallery?

Wayne

WebHamster
Reaction score
Good morning all,

Since the 5.0 upgrade, I have been looking around for a solution that might let us replace the "Media" and/or "Gallery" that we once had. Thinking about it however, and discussing it with the staff here, we all came up with a really good point...

The issue with adding functionality to a site this large isn't always about the "can we", it's about the "should we". In the case of a gallery or media add-on, it's about -- forgive the phrase -- manpower.

A few years ago when we had a gallery (I think it was 3.0), we had a member who stepped up and really knocked it out of the park, adding thousands of images to the site, keeping track of it all, and so-forth. It was a massive effort on her part, and we really could never thank her enough or it.

Somewhere along the line however -- and I'm sad to say I don't remember why -- we had to retire the gallery from the site. Maybe it was a compatibility issue. Maybe it just got to be too large, but either way, it's gone... :(

Likewise, the "Media" add-on from 4.0 was used, but not much, as it was just for posting videos...

Enter 5.0, and we've upgraded to the newest level of software. A potential exists for us to replace the third-party module we once used with any number of others, or even replace it with the official module which would pretty much guarantee that it never gets outdated or incompatible...

The problem however reverts to a management and/or lack of manpower issue. The person who once (very valiantly) stepped into the role of gallery curator isn't active here any more.

Let me be very, very clear. I'm NOT asking for volunteers here.

The job to moderate an image gallery is probably too big for this site, let alone one or two people, so I'm just explaining what happened to the Gallery and Media options from the old site as best I recall, and maybe trying to explain why such an option hasn't returned.

I may -- if there's interest -- go ahead and install the official Xenforo Media Gallery module (referenced above) for the simple fact that it would let everyone (all valid users) upload, manage, and share their own pictures (kinda like Facebook), but I haven't really made any final decision.

I don't mind spending the money at all if it makes this site better and gives you more reasons to enjoy it (that's kinda my thing). I just want to be sure that it's something you would actually enjoy doing BEFORE I run off and make another short-sighted mistake (adding useless and/or ill-manageable stuff to the site)...

Any thoughts?

Wayne

I love seeing shared pics from the users, however if it will be too much work, I can totally be supportive on not having a gallery either. I love the Spectator no matter what, and I appreciate all the hard work of all of our wonderful super mods.

Back