Hope this is true. Looks like Days may be renewed

supercouple

Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/days-lives-renewal-ahead-nbc-150053851.html

It’s looking good that the sands in Days of Our Lives‘ iconic hourglass will continue to flow.

NBC is hopeful that it will successfully renew its contract with surviving soap, which celebrated its 50th anniversary last November.

RELATEDFABLife Cancelled After One Season" rel="nofollow">FABLife Cancelled After One Season

“We’re happy with where Days was this year,” NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt tells TVLine. “We have a negotiating period that starts in February. Stay tuned.”

Although the show’s current deal doesn’t expire until September, Days famously tapes many months in advance — as such, it will actually fulfill production of episodes under the current deal as early as March. The good news is that NBC entertainment president Jennifer Salke is “optimistic” a successful re-negotiation will take place.

“We’ve been really happy with the show,” Salke says. “I’ve been over there seeing Ken [Corday, executive producer] and the team and the new writers. They’re an incredible group and we love the show. They got a [ratings] bump in the fall for their 50th anniversary. There’s a creative resurgence and exciting storytelling going on right now.”

RELATEDDays of Our Lives’ Kassie DePaiva Confirms Exit: ‘It Saddens Me’" rel="nofollow">Days of Our Lives’ Kassie DePaiva Confirms Exit: ‘It Saddens Me’

Days also experienced a jump in ratings the week of January 4, when the big storylines were Maggie deciding whether Brady or Eric would receive the heart of her brain-dead son Daniel, and Hope angrily shooting Stefano over the death of her beloved Bo. The show enjoyed its highest rating in the 18-49 demo (0.6) since July 14-18, 2014. Season-to-date, Days has grown 3 percent versus last season in total viewers.

“I’m optimistic,” Salke adds. “We need to negotiation with Sony [Pictures Televi- sion], but I’m optimistic. We would like the show back.” — By Michael Maloney

Do you hope there are more Days to come? Have you seen a resurgence?

Launch Gallery: Memories From the Set: Charlotte Ross

I hope the show gets renewed but if it doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised. The last regime of writers did a lot of damage to the show to the point that it might be hard to come back from. The head writer change should have happened in 2014. The season 3% jump in viewers from last year is very small. Overall, there have been some positives but there are still some negatives that the show needs to weed out. Right now the show needs to be on 50th anniversary mode at all times. It cannot afford to slack off.

I saw that, so it looks like NBC is very happy, but the negotiations have not begun yet with SONY.

Overall, there definitely has been huge improvement with the new regime...The only problem for me has been so many departures via DEATH. And it would seem Corday knew of this.....thus his statement about any one dying after Sept. 1 would stay dead.

I can understand Bo, Stefano...but Paige could have gone off to Stamford. Well, let's not go into that, water under the bridge.

At least Eve, Eric are leaving while still breathing. LOL Same goes for Melanie.

I really am looking forward to what mischief Deimos is up to, how Chad & Abby will be handling their lives, if they really will get married. And though I don't care all that much, if John is on another wild goose chase in his search for his roots.

But first, get Kayla out of Ava's clutches. LOL

Wondering if Mary Beth Evans (Kayla) is on vacation and they did this to explain it? With Eric and Brady having heart issues, kind of hard to send Kayla out of town on a convention.

One thing I do hope in the future is over time take random weeks off from taping to get the lag down to 2-3 months vs 5-6 months. Hate hearing of a major character returning or a casting change and having to wait until summer for them to air.

Kayla is not at a convention......she has to appear in D.C. to testify before the Organ Donor Board, as to why she did not notify them there was a heart available before giving it to someone.

This summer, Days will be shutting down in August for 2 weeks because of the Olympics. I also wish they would add random weeks off, or at least slow filming down to 1 show per day, or perhaps even less. Doubt it, they operate the way they do because of their budget limitations. I believe they have special deals with the unions because of this.

Here's another article about renewal. Sounds like it's a done deal. Why wait until Feb to tell us?

http://www.serialscoop.com/2016/01/has-nbc-renewed-days-of-our-lives.html

According to a new TVLine story, NBC is optimistic a Days of our Lives renewal will happen.

“We’re happy with where Days was this year,” NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt says. “We have a negotiating period that starts in February. Stay tuned.”

NBC entertainment president Jennifer Salke is “optimistic” a successful re-negotiation with Days producer, Sony Pictures Television, will take place.

“We’ve been really happy with the show,” Salke says. “I’ve been over there seeing Ken [Corday, executive producer] and the team and the new writers. They’re an incredible group and we love the show. They got a [ratings] bump in the fall for their 50th anniversary. There’s a creative resurgence and exciting storytelling going on right now.”

Although the negotiating period is said to begin in February, a source close to the show tells me that it is a done deal and the popular soap has been renewed. When it is officially announced, I am sure we will all breathe a sigh of relief.

Sounds good from NBC's perspective, but isn't Sony the main issue? I remember in those leaked e-mails that were posted last year that there is an executive at Sony that wanted to cancel Days even during the last round of renewal. Hopefully, NBC will have enough say in the matter to keep it on the air.

Perhaps this has been mentioned on here before so I apologize if it is a repeat, but my husband said something to me the other night when we were talking about how many months in advance Days tapes and it made perfect sense and a possible reason why they tape so far in advance. He said that because they never know if Days is going to get renewed or not, they probably tape so far in advance that if they do get cancelled they have "x" amount of episodes to keep the show going after it has been cancelled.

No, the reason they are so far ahead is because their budget was severely slashed. Due to this, they tightened up on the taping schedule and got super-duper efficient with taping scenes. They have no "official" rehearsal time (the actors do that on their "own" time) and they have the one take rule (unless a flub is so bad they have to re-do it). They tape as many scenes as they can on one set to minimize break-down and set-up time. As a result, they slowly went from 4-6 weeks ahead to 8-10 weeks, to 12-14 weeks to eventually, over time, it is now about 6 months ahead.

Nice to see NBC showing so much support. I wonder how the book sales factor in. They already had to go to a 2nd printing.

Serial Scoop is pretty reliable these days so I'd say it's a very good sign if they are reporting it.

I was just wondering about this yesterday. I hope they at least get enough warning to end the show if that's what happens. If they don't start negotiations until Feb and they fall through in early March...they'll have taped most of their episodes!!!

Love your profile picture, Muzzaman !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Things are looking positive for renewal but if the unforeseen happens I am sure they will arrange a short term extension in order to wrap the storyline up.

Another thing I wonder. A recent renewed I believe was signed under the condition expenses (ie salary of actors) were reduced. Hoping not a repeat.

I am sure they would. Kind of hard to end a 51 year old show with the last scene being John and Marlena drinking coffee.

I vote twice/three times for keeping the show. We've been through difficult ratings before but NOW is the time for these so-called NEW writers to earn their keep!

Do you hear us???

Back