Horton House Fire

JasonDíSpeech

Reaction score
Folks, I know this is an unpopular opinion here - but this is the right move.

There was a lot of drama today and a chance for actors to showcase some real emotion (even if only 3 out of 4 delivered). I felt for Julie for the first time in 10+ years. I felt worse about the House Fire based on her reactions than I did when David died.

I believed Doug was worried for Julie, and Thomas for his daddy. No other situation would have worked to coalesce those emotions.

Now the real question will be, where does the story go? I'd like to see Julie fighting Clyde. I need to see Doug resolute that his family won't be moved or intimidated. We should see some Hortons come to town to help rebuild, reminisce, and/or relocate.

But ... I worry that this fire was just a cheap stunt and we won't get any emotional payoffs from it. We'll see.

My guess is that it’s just a stunt to substitute for good writing. The place will soon be looking good as new, Clyde will fade away until next time, and the viewers will continue to suffer through the misadventures of Everett and his beard, Zero, Ava, wino Sloan, pious Eric, etc.

Very well stated, Jason.

WHAT is the plot point here? To demonstrate what a horrific excuse for a human being Clyde is. Even if Clyde is killed, will his reach extend beyond the grave? How many minions, including prison guards, has he paid off already to do his dirty deeds?

I'd actually prefer a newer house and a newer look. If we want younger viewers, it shouldn't look like your grandma's grandma's house.

Clyde's crimes having real, lasting impact could fuel story for years. More so than any character death - we know those are easily reversed.

That said, I agree with my worry/Dr B's hunch that this is a stunt that will be forgotten within a month.

O.K. The writers and director really failed big time with that fire. When your place catches on fire, first thing is to get out, get others out, call 911!
I agree. The director today handled these big events poorly, and the scab writers didn't deliver, either. Chad and Julie didn't act like real people during the fire, and they certainly didn't act like Chad and Julie, either.

My fear is mainly that they'll move everyone into one of the other houses, and we'll never see the Horton house again. How many people can live in the Kiriakis or DiMera mansions? How many rooms do Marlena/John, Steve/Kayla, Tripp/and whomever, have in their apartments? How many boarding house rooms are over the pub? I'm just tired of the Salem world shrinking down to a series of shoddy rooms.

This is big event for scab writers to manage.

I just don't trust where all of this is going.

It definitely is steeped in tradition and very old fashioned. Outside of the treasures they lost (Christmas ornaments, photo albums, I'm thinking even Abby's wardrobe which I am sure Chad still had), a modern house (not a "smart" house, too much technology) needs to be built. There is probably a copy of the blueprints in the Municipal Records office. Rebuild but with an up-to-date edge. Or:

1707830263066.png

Great points TinaY. If this is a move to consolidate sets (many of the other sets are interchangeable in look), I hate it. If it's a move to modernize and is written well, I maintain it could work. I think we're free of anything re-Ron had planned so this must be all the scabs' idea and the fired guy?

Maybe he's doing a Salem Stalker/rebuild the show in his own image thing? Ewww.
It’s doubtful they can replicate the sofa and chair burned in the fire
Are you talking In Real Life, behind the scenes, or on the show? Because (behind the scenes) usually they'd create a second prop to burn. And on the show I'm sure the Hortons have enough money to recreate a vintage chair if they chose.

The show has had so many opportunities to do better and it keeps failing. So this could be the worst end of all of our predictions.

The fired guy still has his ideas going on. Tho we are probably done seeing episodes filmed while he was in charge, scripts were already written for many episodes to be filmed. Now, it is possible, those could have been edited, thus story changed, dialogue, etc. to reflect a better look and feel to the show. ????

Right, if I recall correctly - Re-Ron's stories ran through December
Fired Guy was replaced as EP and those episodes took effect in late January
Fired Guy is still directing episodes

So that means either Fired Guy or the new EP are responsible for the story we're seeing now? At least the "big picture" stuff (e.g., "the Horton House catches fire! Harris is shot!", etc).

Last edited:
Inasmuch as the fired guy seemed bent on getting rid of tradition, so am thinking the house fire is his idea. Yes, could be wrong. For some reason when the credits run after an episode for me, no writers are listed.

Back