Horton living room fun fact

Jason47

Reaction score
Here's a fun fact I just learned about (or read about in 1995 and had forgotten since then):

The "Days" production designer at the time, Chip Dox, said this in an interview with Soap Opera Weekly: The Horton Living Room set "was inherited from another show for the Days pilot. In fact, I believe the Horton house was inherited from a sitcom."

Hmmm, back in the 70s, even with reruns, that would be hard to guess............I googled, but really, it would have to be from NBC..........Probably a 50s/early 60s show.....Andy Griffith, Father Knows Best? , Leave it to Beaver? Make Room for Daddy? Donna Reed, Dobie Gillis,
Well, in those days, folks did have houses........even stairs up to bedrooms. ! LOLOLOL

Now I want to know what sitcom it was! Very neat info. Thanks Jason!

I messaged Chip on Facebook, but if he didn't know what sitcom it was in 1995, odds are he won't know now. I looked up what sitcoms were on NBC in 1965. Kentucky Jones and Karen seem to be the most likely options. I couldn't find any Kentucky Jones on YouTube, however checking on Karen 1964 on YouTube, there is a foyer/living room with fireplace, but it doesn't look exactly like the Horton Living Room to me, but things are in the same place on the Karen set.

If they were using an old set from a sit com, and Days made it's debut in '65, the sitcom would probably be before that. Early 60s. ???

It may have also been assembled differently too, so not as recognizable. It'll be interesting if someone can figure out what show it was.

Days taped the unaired pilot in July 1965, so it was probably a sitcom that taped at NBC Burbank in the spring of 1965. Since NBC owned Burbank in the 60's, most likely the show aired on NBC. Kentucky Jones and Karen seemed to be the only options. However, checking the 1964-1965 schedule on Wiki again today, Hazel was produced by Screen Gems, and finished airing on NBC in 1965. It aired another season on CBS. So, it looks like Hazel is another option. Although on Wiki it says "The series was filmed at Columbia Sunset Gower Studios, Hollywood, California. Exteriors were shot at the Columbia Ranch in Burbank." I was more thinking it would have been something actually taped at Burbank where the set would have been stored. I can't find a studio yet for where Kentucky Jones or Karen were taped. They aren't listed on Wiki.

There are some other shows......i.e. The Joey Bishop show (left NBC to go to CBS last year, "65)
The Jack Benny Show. Am guessing the hall/living room might be the same structurally, with the entry into living room, and fireplace in same place.

Also, unsold pilots which I just checked.

Aired series: Bill Dana Show; Flipper, Harris Against the World; Hazel; Karen; Kentucky Jones; That Was the Week That Was; Tom, Dick & Mary.

Unsold NBC comedy pilots for 1965: The Alan King Show; Campo 44; Good Old Days; Kissin' Cousins; L'il Abner; See Here, Private Hargrove; Steptoe and Son; Take Five, Tell Aggie; The Willies.

Without production locations available, it would be too hard to narrow down.

agreed...plus pics....

Back