How could Nicole be Sydney's mother?

DancingDays

Reaction score
I stopped watching Days during most of the 2000s, and just got back into it about 6 months ago. I understand that Nicole had a miscarriage and kidnapped Sydney to raise as her own daughter. I keep seeing threads where people want Sydney to be Nicole's daughter instead of Sami's. While I don't disagree with them, I do wonder how that would even be possible. How far along was Nicole when she miscarried? Did she actually have a stillbirth that was taken away before she saw it? Or is this all just wishfull thinking? :confused:

Well they have rewritten things to make it that they were due at the same time. I'm thinking that made Nicole a little over six months when she lost her little girl. I am one of the one's that hopes Sydney turns out to be Nicole and here my therory of how it could happen.

When Nicole lost her daughter she was out of it. She passed out of something. She remembers and maybe it was a dream seeing her baby girla nd hearing her cry, but was then told she was gone. So in theory Dr. baker could have taken a live baby and although little put her in some kind of neonatal care until she was healthy enough to sell on the black market..... Or as some have suggested Sami's baby actually wasn't breathing when she was born, Baker could have still had Nicole's baby there and when Sami's died he switched them.

As this point it's all just wishful thinking on the part of all of us who love the idea of Nicole being Sydney's real mom. Hope that helped.

I think it's a little more than wishful thinking. We've seen Days do this kind of thing more than once and making Nicole Sydney's mother would sure be less of a stretch than Zack being Bo's son, Claire being Shawn's daughter, or Chelsea showing up in Salem as a teen what a mere 5 years or so after she was not only stillborn but buried in a swamp.

The night before her miscarriage, Nicole was treated to a special dinner by an oddly behaving Stefano. She supposedly miscarried in the clinic of a known baby broker the next day. In that scene, Nicole was shown giving birth to a healthy baby girl that was then taken away by a nurse. The scene was filmed as if it could have been a dream or as a real event that happened while Nicole was still groggy. When Nicole came fully awake, she was informed by the dubious Dr. Baker that her child was stillborn. The actual event of a stillbirth was never shown, nor was there a scene of Nicole (or Brady) being shown any kind of proof that the child in fact died. I agree with Princessblondie that it would be easy to have a future reveal that Dr. Baker took Nicole's daughter to sell on the black market once she had time to grow more. Sami's child was not breathing at birth and could have died (and for the sake of viewers' sanity let's hope it's this scenario rather than having yet another baby lost out there somewhere), and the child that Nicole walked in on Dr. Baker holding could have been her very own biological daughter (Sydney).

As far how far along Nicole was at the time of the miscarriage, it depends on the writers' whim of the moment. The current story is that Sami and Nicole became pregnant days apart from one another (rather than months) and that both were presumed to give birth to healthy, full term babies on the same day.... meaning that Nicole's child would have been viable at the time of the supposed miscarriage. But honestly, time is very fluid in Salem anyway and that would have hardly prevented a potential reveal of Nicole being Sydney's mother. In addition to the Chelsea example, Will has been 16 for the past 4 years, while little Elvis who was born 2 years after Will is now in his mid 30s.

Actually, I believe there was a scene where Dr. Baker was giving Nicole some sort of post-grievance counselling of sorts, and they discussed how Nicole saw that her baby was dead. It was the same scene where Nicole admitted that she had "phantom" kicks in her abdomen, and where she also emotionally proclaimed, "My baby wasn't born dead, she was born sleeping!" then admitted shortly after that she was saying that merely as a coping mechanism (not meant literally).

Also, there were scenes where people remarked on the striking resemblance between Sydney and her Brady relatives. E.g., the scene where Lucas told Nicole that Sydney looked just like Allie did when she was that age. Then later that year when Sami was babysitting Sydney (before she found out Sydney was hers) and took Sydney to the Brady Pub, some lady assumed that Sydney was hers and then remarked that she thought this because the two of them looked so much alike.

Truthfully, I don't think the show producers are going to make Sydney end up being Nicole's. Unfortunately, it seems that every TV drama has their resident "kick around dog"...on One Tree Hill it's Brooke, and on Days it's Nicole. :mad: Not saying it's fair, just saying what it is. One of the characteristic traits of being in the role of "kick around dog" is being infertile, despite the overwhelming desperation to want to become a mother. They probably do this to exemplify just how pathetic the "kick around dog" really is, since (as I've read) infertility is one of the most emotionally devastating "disabilities" for an average woman to face. Furthermore, although Days has allowed for some miracle pregnancies in the past (e.g., Chloe's), there's been a few characters that were ALWAYS left childless, despite their best efforts and money, such as Vivian Alamain. Vivian did something essentially similar to Nicole -- she stole another woman's baby in an attempt to retain a man who was more in love with the other woman -- and in the end, not only did she lose custody of Philip, but she never had another opportunity to have an offspring of her own. I don't recall Ivan or Gus or anyone suggesting they adopt or try IVF together.

Actually, I believe there was a scene where Dr. Baker was giving Nicole some sort of post-grievance counselling of sorts, and they discussed how Nicole saw that her baby was dead. It was the same scene where Nicole admitted that she had "phantom" kicks in her abdomen, and where she also emotionally proclaimed, "My baby wasn't born dead, she was born sleeping!" then admitted shortly after that she was saying that merely as a coping mechanism (not meant literally).

They had scenes of Nicole insisting that she saw her baby alive and Dr. Baker rationalizing that she was just emotionally distraught and imagined that her baby was alive. Just because he managed to convince a traumatized, hormonal woman that she imagined something doesn't mean it was true and it's not like Dr. Baker has a pattern of honesty or upstanding citizenship behavior.

As far as the references to Sydney looking like Sami/Allie, those lasted just long enough to get to the "discovery" Sydney being Sami's daughter. In the meantime, Days was also demonstrating a very close bond between Sydney and Nicole and they've done nothing in the year since the "reveal" to demonstrate a break in the bond between Sydney & Nicole, nor to demonstrate the building of one between Sydney & Sami ... and while the twins who play Allie look a lot like Sami, Days made no effort to cast twins who resembled Sami to play Sydney.

I don't know what Days is planning either but if they really wanted to lay speculation to rest about who Sydney's biological mother is, they've had ample opportunity to do so that they've chosen not to take. At the very least, they seem determined to keep the door wide open to a potential reveal of Nicole as Sydney's mother. Doesn't mean that they will ever do it, but the question was how is it possible, and Days has left many openings to make it possible.

Back