How to fix the "log in every time" problem..

Wayne

WebHamster
Reaction score
Found it!

If you are having to log back into the Salemspectator (and other sites) every time you close your browser and open it back up

In earlier versions of the browsers out there, they didn't used to clear the cookies every time you closed the browser. (for the most part, cookies are harmless snippets of code that keep up with your login and password status for a web site. 99.9% of all web sites that have a login procedure use them, so don't be scared of them).

I can't speak for all of them, but Firefox version 40+ now actively deletes your cookies by default, every time you close the browser.
  • Go to your Firefox (or other browser) preferences;
  • In Firefox, you're looking for the Privacy Options.
  • If you tell it to clear your history when you close the browser, it will ALWAYS delete the cookies, meaning you have to continually log in.
  • -- Set it to CUSTOM then find where it says "Clear History when Firefox closes" then select the SETTINGS box next to that.
  • -- UNCHECK "cookies".
I can't provide instructions on how to do that for all browsers -- especially tablets or phones -- but all browsers should be similar and you want to prevent the browser from deleting cookies until they expire. Naturally, when a cookie expires, you'll have to log back in occasionally, but at least that's not every single time...

now I know what a "cookie" is. I thought it was something that kept track
where you've been on the internet

Don't get me wrong, "Cookies" can be used for such things by bad people, but they're just a necessary evil. Without them, no site can do logins so if your browser deletes them, that's why it asks you to login again.

In my screenshot, note that I selected "accept third party cookies from visited" to make sure that you only get cookies from sites you're actually on..

thanks Wayne.

I wish we could just good things on the computer

Back