How Would You .... No. 7 .... Bo's Exit

DrBakerFan

Reaction score
Some posters on this board have expressed dissatisfaction with the way Bo Brady left Days, which involved an improbable captivity in the Yucutan, a daring escape, and a finale which tossed the Aiden character under a whole parade of buses.

Instead of Bo being held in some cardboard tropical prison/torture center, how about Bo going on yet another one of his secret missions, this time to everyone's favorite non-existent country, Alamania? There, Bo is arrested by the always-suspicious secret police and held on unspecified charges. After the necessary sleuthing, Steve learns where Bo is and makes a stealthy trip into Alamania, where he has clandestine meetings with greedy, corrupt officials, whom he bribes to allow Bo's release.

Naturally, as soon as Bo is released, the secret police change their minds and he and Steve have to use all their wits to get safely across the border. Since it was a given that Peter Reckell could no longer play Bo, the character dies from some chronic disease that he contracted on his many secret overseas missions. (He doesn't have a brain tumor, a medical condition that was worn out on the old Dr. Ben Casey program, which consisted of the star removing the brain tumor of the week.)

Naturally, many blame Stefano for Bo's Alamanian incarceration, but he strongly denies it. Eliminated from the plot are mad scientist Dr. Seth Malcolm, and the fact that he was funded by Deimos. (Isn't having Deimos be responsible for Maggie's paralysis enough?) Aiden and Chase are not turned into father and son low-lifes, but instead are respectable Salemites, at least to the extent that any Salemite can be respectable.

Last edited:
I'd rather have seen a story where Bo leaves his family (he did due to lousy writing) divorces Hope, moves on with another person. This other person, this other relationship, shows him what he had with Hope was special (as only soap relationships can be) then the other person passes away and Bo starts feeling odd, gets the news of his medical condition and decides he wants to go home to die.

He DOESN'T want to disrupt Hope's life, he just wants to see his kids again and his mom and siblings. He actually offers to walk Hope down the aisle.

No, torture, no jail, no lame story.

Bo just wants to see his family one more time before he leaves earth.

Hope can still feel conflicted after he passes away. There would be no need to ruin Aiden. Stefano could still have goaded Hope or someone into killing him. Or he could just not wake up one morning.

I know it's too boring for a soap but it would have made sense and it would ring more true than what we got.

@DrBaker............Sounds good to me. Definitely eliminates all that stupid and ugly Yo Ling garbage.

Bo could still have died from a brain tumor, and was buried at sea. But perhaps just plain old fashioned Pneumonia, TB, a lung disorder, contracted in the prison where he was held in solitary confinement with no outside privileges.

I have to say, though, that I liked Steve rescuing Bo, and their dumb adventure getting home, on that flying motorcycle. LOL. So, I think perhaps Steve could find Bo, not being held prisoner or being tortured, but in the medical clinic because of his illness. He has learned it is terminal, but Steve is determined to bring him back to his family, gets him back to Salem, but Bo wants just one last glimpse of family, so, sort of spies on them all. . He doesn't want everyone happy to see him, then grieving over his death. He writes a letter, or makes a cell phone video, making Steve promise to read the letter, or show the video (whichever it is) with the family all together.

Bo has Steve promise to keep an eye on Hope, his family for him, dies with Steve there, is cremated and as Steve promised, his ashes are strewn in the Salem River, where he spent so many happy hours fishing.

Thus, Bo is gone for good.

And in MY ending, with Aiden still being blackmailed by Stefano into killing Hope, he instead, backs out of the marriage, leaves Roman a note telling all, takes Chase and vanishes from Salem.

And in MY ending, with Aiden still being blackmailed by Stefano into killing Hope, he instead, backs out of the marriage, leaves Roman a note telling all, takes Chase and vanishes from Salem.
I'd have settled for this.

I like DBF's plan for Bo. I think Alamainia is on an island, though...?

I'd have not had Bo return at all, but have Steve return to Salem with word that Bo is dead, based on 2nd or 10th hand information. Then Bo could appear as a vision/ghost/whatever before Hope & Aiden's wedding (to Hope (and Caroline, Ciara, Kayla too)) in a sequence/series of Visions. Since they were just visions, they could always re-write it to say Bo wasn't really dead, but we'd get to see him, and see how people feel/think about him, and have moved on/not moved on, etc. Closure, fun for the 50th, but not mangling characters just because they were created by another set of writers.

Rather than have Bo come back to Salem, I would have him living in Chicago with total amnesia after the Dr. Rolf and Bart wiped his memory at the behest of Stefano a few years back. Bo is working in a homeless shelter, and doesn't understand why he springs into action when he sees criminal behavior at the shelter. He is last seen looking at a photo of Hope, wondering who she is.

He's not shown again on-screen, but people who visit Chicago mention they could have sworn they saw him while they were there. Hope moves on (alone), and never forgets Bo. She often has a feeling that he's in trouble, but still believes he abandoned her and the children. Years later (after Peter Reckell's daughter is old enough that he can return to acting), Bo is drawn to Salem and visits the Brady Pub, where Hope is visiting Caroline. After working with Marlena for many months, he regains his memory; he and Hope find their way back to each other.

I wouldn't have written any of Bo being tortured or kidnapped involving Yo Ling for certain. Rather I would have wrote something just to keep Bo alive and in the picture. Mainly for at least for a possible return not dead!

The writers already ruined Bo's character with Carly and spending 3 years away from his family, so might as well just write Bo to have a affair with Billie again out in Europe. Would make some good drama father and son fight scenes between Bo and Shawn. Chelsea's happy ending would at least come true!

I honestly never would have written him out. Peter Reckell (Bo) has been vocal both before he originally left in 2012 and when he returned last Fall that he left due to the writing for Bo and him being out on backburner. If I were in charge of this show, I would have listened to him and fixed the writing so that he wouldn't have left in the first place. It's possible the actor and his family would have remained in LA at that point instead of moving to Nashville so that would have solved the family time issue as well.

Back