Just curious....

oldsoapie

Reaction score
I see so many posts from people who don't watch the show and pretty much dislike most of the characters and storylines........why do you keep reading about the show and commenting? I DON'T mean this as criticism, I am just truly curious. If I disliked so much and so many I wouldn't even read about it.:)

I guess I'm hoping it will get better. Either that or it's true what they say : Old habits die hard. I've been watching for 30 years now. Plus it's how I learned English. One hour a day will do the trick.

But I must admit I'm one of those who criticize a lot, as I don't recognize my show anymore. Very few characters or storylines have me interested. I'm mostly frustrated. But, again... See my first line. :)

Speaking for just me, I watched many years ago starting in the late 60's, then watched during the summers, while my mom kept me current. Then the amazing days of the babies and being home and vcr's could and I could watch daily.

Time shifting, more recently, I was allowed to work from home, but when the show turned to the "Lock Stock and Barrel", Golden Couple, it turned me off. I work from home Monday's and Fridays, so I do watch live two days a week. But it's hard these days as I'm a fan of folks who are not on much anymore. I'm hoping that the HUGE influx of new folks will bring new stories and good stories. I'm so tired of evil always winning.

I stopped watching regularly until now, when EJ is dead, and now Sami is gone. There's still a lot of dumb crap on the show, but it is far more tolerable without those two characters. In any case, I'm hoping the writing team will be fired and replaced with good writers, or at the very least they will improve the storylines.

I see so many posts from people who don't watch the show and pretty much dislike most of the characters and storylines........why do you keep reading about the show and commenting? I DON'T mean this as criticism, I am just truly curious. If I disliked so much and so many I wouldn't even read about it.:)

Thank you -- a question that has been on my mind for a looong time. Life's too short . . .

It's hard to walk away from something completely that's been apart of your life since childhood. Many posters, as well as myself, grew up with DAYS and it's not that easy to just abandon it.

Take for instance a prime time show that's been on few seasons. It starts off brilliantly the first season, but slowly starts to deteriorate in quality. It's not hard at all to give up viewing and reading summaries if the trend continues. Soon enough you hear someone mention the show and you ask "that's still on the air" because you've become that detached.

Whereas with DAYS, if you grew up watching sitting on the floor at your mom's legs and continued to watch after high school and college and do so now while raising a kid of your own who sometimes watches while sitting at your legs, then it's a little more difficult to just jump ship. (whew...mouth full)

I love DAYS but that doesn't mean I can't hate it...and I'm sure that goes for others here too. I'm here with my griping and periods of non-viewing until that final grain of sand pours from the hourglass.

My mother watches the show live daily, and because I am home right now, I watch it with her. While I may not like a majority of the stories on the air or a lot of the characters, there is usually something that I like which keeps me watching the show (seeing Lucas, any of the kids, baby Arianna, Victor's snark).

With the show the way it has been lately, however, I will probably take a break when I start working and just read summaries or catch scenes I like. I can and I have taken long breaks from the show, I hardly watched in the 1990s when I was starting my career and only came back during the Sami on death row story, and then I watched off and on until 2008.

I keep hoping for better stories, but with these writers, I don't hold out much hope. Some of their ideas start out strong, such as Sami's revenge plot, but then it dies down really quickly. New writers or a new regime would catch my attention right now than hearing of a new character coming on.

At least someone is writing good, snarky lines, lol.
Hmmm. Are the writers really writing those good, snarky lines or are the talented actors adlibbing? Or, do the writers write the lines, which could be dull, but they become snarky due to the interpretation and delivery of the actors? Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I stopped watching when it was obvious EJ and Sami were to be paired. Laughing off their history over a glass of wine was beyond ridiculous. Also, so many characters had to be written differently in order to make EJ/Sami work as a couple. To me, it was a major slap in the face and an insult to our intelligence. At this point, I've given up on the show. I do not think it can be salvaged. Too much has happened.

Even though I'm not watching (and probably won't again for a long time), I do enjoy reading people's comments here.

I'll take a swipe at this one. deleted spoiler info in non-spoiler thread....JS. Matthew Ashford (Jack) had just been killed off and Peter Reckell (Bo) was leaving, and I think the ones in charge were blowing off the longtime fans.

We may not watch, but we comment because we hope our voices are heard. Don't tell us you can't afford to bring back old fan favorites. Don't tell us your budget only allows you to shoot shows and scenes the way you do it. You can change. Stop taping six months in advance. Give the show a little more money so it looks like the sets didn't come out of a high school play. And enough new faces. If your goal is to get the audience to care about these new characters, forget it. Faced with this new Paul character or Melanie, I'd rather see Melanie. Faced with Serena or Belle, I'll take Belle. Same goes for Shawn, Philip, Stephanie, Mike, Bill, etc. Give me the old favorites and THEN give me new characters.

So, to sum up, I guess we complain even though we don't watch because we still care. It's when we don't care that NBC has a problem on its hands.

I've watched on and off since high school. I started watching again at the beginning of this year and like others there's parts I enjoy and parts I hate. EJ and Sami being gone made the show much more appealing to me. I'm curious to how the storylines will be spread around now that the golden couple is gone.

However, if I didn't watch the show I certainly wouldn't read about. It just seems like a waste of time and energy to me.

Some of us like to keep up with the show while we're not watching so that if/when it improves, we're not totally lost on what's going on. Besides, taking 5 minutes to read the summary isn't a big waste of time; on the other hand, if you watch an hour-long show with no commercials and the episode is filled with things you find boring or distasteful (Jordan, EJ-Sami, Daniel-Jenifer, Paige, etc), then I would say that is a bigger waste of time. But it varies since people have different tastes and opinions of what they like to watch and what they don't.

I watch intermittently - usually twice a week unless there is a story-line I'm into. I have been watching for 20+ years. I still like the characters/actors. I just don't think the story-lines are as good as they once were. I will admit that I wish there was more romance. I do tire of the mean-spiritedness and negativity.

Back