Just curious

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know many of our posters live in warm climates, at least warmer than me. Am I the ONLY one living so far up north, or who gets winter weather, has to really bundle up, worry about heating house, icy roads. snowy steps, below zero temps????

I have to deal with 8 inches of snow or some such nonsense coming tomorrow. Up until now we've had tons of ice and I was torn on if that was better than a snowy year. I'm in NY so below zero isn't the norm but zero windchill can happen. I'm over it.

I'm in Queens, NY, and we typically don't have extremely cold weather nor even snowstorms every year, like the blizzards I grew up with back in "days of yore." Lately, very unpredictable. It went up to 65 this afternoon, now it is 46, and we are due for much colder temps, though not in the teens, and a possible small, insignificant wintry mix, as they call it. The best to you, Poirot and oldschool, stay warm and safe!

P.S. oldschool - you said you are in NY, am thinking Upstate, like Albany or Rochester, where there is more snowfall?

Here in the Bay Area in California, our temperatures are more mild. We had been having mild, springlike temperatures in the 70s until this week. Monday it turned cold (for us, LOL, in the 50s, dropping to low 30s overnight). Yesterday we actually had some wet stuff for the first time since early January.

We do have some rare snow, but usually in the higher elevations, and if it falls in the valley, it does not stay on the ground.

I have a hard time imagining temperatures below 0.

I’m in the south - where Monday is in the 70’s and today schools released at 9:30 and 12 because of icy road conditions along with sleet and snow all afternoon. More expected tonight

P.S. oldschool - you said you are in NY, am thinking Upstate, like Albany or Rochester, where there is more snowfall?
Yes I'm in Albany. I feel like there's no normal for this area. Some years are annoying with snow on the ground all winter and others are like this one with not much. Probably why Friday's stuff will be extra annoying to me.

My energy bill was $640 this month, if that answers your question! We're trying to figure out if there was a clerical error (this year or previously - don't trust the computer readers), a surge of usage (it has been colder), or perhaps a faulty appliance draining energy...or a little bit of each!

When I was in Philadelphia visiting family, we had the strangest weather. Rainy and rather mild in late December (50sF in the day, though of course 20sF and 30sF at night). We did get a few snow dustings and flurries, sleet, and a light snowfall with a very cold front that came in January, and then October-like weather which melted it away. Then early February came and we got another bad cold front with a snowstorm, very very cold (nights in the single digits and teens). Some days never reached 30F, and some were even as low as the high teens, awful wind. Finally, we started getting "upside-down days" with mild, fall-like temps at night and rain, then the day would be windy, clear, 30sF and 40sF. As I was leaving, there were a few flurries and cold days but weather was improving, and then turning spring-like.

Now in Israel, where I just returned to this week, it's been a very stormy winter--snow in Jerusalem and mountainous areas, very heavy winds and rains on much of the Mediterranean coast and even parts of the desert. Cooler than usual temperatures most of winter too, although there's been a few warm and sunny days. Two days ago it even reached 80F, so I got to tan on the beach!

Here in north Texas we never know what to expect, almost from day to day. It's not unusual to get into the teens or single digits or go up to 80*. We don't get below zero often but last year we got down to around 10 below. Of course with ice. Always ice. Below freezing with ice is complicated here because pipes are not buried so deep and roads don't get tended, especially in less populated areas, which surround me by 65 to 100+ and 200+ plus and more, miles. Nearly everybody has livestock so that adds to the problems that each person is on his own to handle. Winter only makes me think of problems.

Back