Need advice/opinions

the look of love

Reaction score
I was hurt a couple weeks ago at a Dr.office. A heavy wooden room divider fell landed on my foot and broke my toe. they are willing to pay my medical costs.
I contacted a lawyer to see if I have a possible case (of course they said yes).

Now the big question !! Should I file a lawsuit for pain and suffering??

Personally, I'm not going to sue for an accident. That said, I still wouldn't sign off concluding the medical payments until I was sure there were no further complications. Their insurance is willing to pay and you can work with them to insure you are fully recovered. That's as far as I would go.

Me, too. The thing with lawyers and a suit like this......first.....they take a third PLUS office costs, depositions, paperwork, postage, etc. etc. Those costs all add up. It would be 2-3-4 years before it got settled or went to court. Then, whatever medical expenses were incurred have to be paid back. It is a mess, and not something you are told will happen.

I know the lawyer gets their share of any settlement. I guess what bothered me is I found out that this room divider has fallen on someone else about two weeks before!! so they were aware that it was unstable. I didn't tell you that part sorry :( Also I didn't get any first aid at a Dr office!!

It truly is a lot of time and aggravation for the sliver. However, I am thinking that if that divider is unstable and has already fallen before, there has to be some agency that could be alerted to the potential hazard there, so it could be secured. But definitely make sure your medical bills are paid. And as someone mentioned, don't sign off until you are sure that all is well. Also......do not, and I repeat, do NOT make any sort of conversation with a rep from their ins. company, that will be recorded. They may just say they want to know what exactly happened, but you can easily say the thing fell on your foot there, but you would not be comfortable having any sort of conversation, questioning, without being in the presence of an atty. repping you.

If you are unfortunate enough to have another, possibly more serious, situation in future, you will asked to list any prior personal injury lawsuits. Opposing counsel may try to use prior suits to show a pattern of litigious behaviour on your part, and thus make it harder for you to win your case. Something to think about...

Good advice from Poirot about signing a release before you have completely healed.

Thanks everyone I knew that I could count on some words of wisdom from you. Not sure what will be my final decision. I do know that I don't want to go at this without a lot of thought. :hug:

I agree with everyone, I know someone that joined in a lawsuit about a drug they took, you see them all the time on TV, so there were thousands of people trying to take a piece of millions of dollars, and when all was said and done, everyone got a 5.00 dollar coupon off their next prescription, that most of them don’t take anymore! It all sounds good listening to the lawyers, but in reality it stinks!

If the injury was severe like a bad concussion or shattered foot requiring surgery and hospitalization then it might be worth a suit. But as long as it's only a broken toe and they are paying the bills to the doctor of your choosing then I wouldn't take it to a lawsuit.

Back