Not trying to upstage Sarahbeth

Dana

Reaction score
But, I have a heart too:
I'm not sure if it will affect others as it affects me, but I did want to share.

It's the best Ice Dance program ever by the best Ice Dancers in the world.

Wow. They are fantastic. I can barely stand in a pair of ice skates. Thanks for sharing.

While Torvel and Dean were fantastic alot of that had to do with music interpretation and the longevity of their career. These two have what T and D had in spades and then some. In fact I would like to know who coaches these two.

Their first coach was Igor and Marina are Linichuk and Karpanasov, like Tanith & Ben, but they changed this year to L & K. They are not nearly as talented as Torvil & Dean JMHO

Hey Noel,
Only recently (since I went to Skate Canada in October) have I paid attention to ice dancing.
I never paid much attention to pairs or dance, but after seeing it live they both have become my favorite disciplines. Seeing it live is breathtaking. (And terrifying--some of the pair throws are scary).
(I certainly know nothing about judging it. It's a completely separate from singles, and you work your way UP to judging Dance).
I had heard the names Torvil and Dean, but had never seen them skate. I went to YouTube and watched their 1984 Olympic long program. That was amazing.

It also goes to show (me) how much things have changed in ice dancing: they were in the dance hold for the majority of the program.
(I'm going to have to do a little research on rules changes).
Their side by side positions were flawless, the lifts were higher (more like pairs) and the lift/spin right before the end was great.
I've never seen any skaters end a program by lying on the ice. Very cool. (No pun intended).

My only comment, and it's not even related to skating, that is the SLOWEST bolero I've heard in my entire career.

Thank you for making me aware of something I didn't know.

Dana

And I have to explain WHY the Davis and White program really affected me:
In addition to the near flawless performance, it was her reaction at the end.

Meryl is known for being pretty much emotionless (many refer to her as a "robot") and to see her honest reaction at the end of the program and the look on her face when she looks up at him really gets me. It's so REAL.
I am very fortunate to have experienced that kind of artistic/performance moment: when you've just been perfect and every single person in the house knows it.

It's hard to explain: Your emotions tell you to cry but your body knows that crying isn't enough, so it says "No! Don't cry!" The feelings are very confusing.
That's what she's experiencing: both of those contrasting feelings at the same instant.
And when he just brushes her head and cradles it (without taking his eyes off of her---he knows what she's feeling)
To be able to watch that interaction happen is incredibly...intimate.

(And to get that intense a reaction from a Japanese audience is unheard of).

Then look at her when they're waiting for the scores.
She's got her "composure" face back on.

Hi Dana,

You certainly get an A in research!

Yes the dance rules - which I cannot delineate - have changed quite much during this time span. I'm glad you watched Torvil & Dean just or the beauty of the experience. They choreographed their own dances! To me, they danced as one.

Davis & White are excellent, very talented and will most likely win the Gold next Olympics!

And yes, we respond emotionally to the dance, the music and the entire experience. You'll be a great judge!

Back