October 1965 article: Frances Reid (Alice) not yet part of cast

Jason47

Reaction score
OCTOBER 9, 1965: "DAYS" ANNOUNCED AS NEW SERIES ON NBC. FRANCES REID NOT YET PART OF CAST.

538c84e42218613362c73afedcd809fc8a46ac57.jpg

In this newspaper article from October 9, 1965, fans can see that the role of Alice Horton was still being recast, since Frances Reid was not yet hired. Mary Jackson had played Alice in the first pilot that was taped in July 1965.

I remember being disappointed with the change, at first. Certainly came to love Frances Reid and wouldn't want anyone else.

Mary was in many, many other series, but we all probably remember her best as Miss Emily, one of the two Baldwin sisters on The Waltons. (I used to laugh when the sisters spoke of "the recipe" handed down by their father, not realizing it was booze, ) LOL

That is a surprise, Jason47, as reports leave one with the impression that Mary Jackson was in the very first episode, & then the switch. Thank you!

Frances Reid was the only actress to ever play Alice. The pilot with Mary Jackson was never aired.

As I said Saturday, and as Just Samantha has now also said, that is incorrect. Frances Reid was the only person to ever be seen on "Days" playing Alice. The pilot episode with Mary Jackson was taped and has never been aired anywhere to this day. The only people who ever saw Mary Jackson play Alice were the people at the studio on that one day in July 1965.

Back