Odds & Ends....

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do watch reruns of Golden Girls........and it has always puzzled me...they live in Miami, and yet quite often they are wearing sweaters, warm robes, long sleeves, etc. Do folks there really dress like that ALL THE TIME? While I have visited, and worn sleeveless, shorts, always flat shoes, maybe the climate has changed, or the people?

On Everybody loves Raymond, his mom, Marie, seems to always have a frig full of wonderful leftovers, enough to feed 6-8 people sometimes, yet there is only she & her husband. Heck, Debra has a larger family but doesn't seem to cook in such large quantities. LOL. (yes, her family probably eats it all so no leftovers). And I will say, Ray's ill timed "jokes" are usually in very poor taste.

I get surprised there are no reruns of Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, or Rhoda, Archie Bunker, Jeffersons. Wonder why? (Too much money??)

And then there is "bringing back a show that did well first time round".......only they change the format, the characters, cast, etc. And it is NOT the show that previously had the name.

And why, on any show depicting what is supposed to be winter weather, do the characters not wear caps, hats. etc. I mean, they have jackets on, coats, we see snow, etc. ....but nothing on their heads. Not even ear muffs! Lucky if they wear gloves or mittens. LOL.

No idea what a digital substation is.
Only was noting that there are regular stations that feature reruns of various shows, but those I noted seem to be missing. Like on Fox, or GetTV, TBS, TVLand, MEtv.

It's when you have a flatscreen TV (or an old style and use a converter box) and use an antenna (like rabbit ears). When you scan the TV stations, it'll pick up whatever digital stations are available in your area. Most have a main station, then several substations. Like the Ion channel has 6 or 7 substations, like Ion, then Ion Mystery, Ion Bounce, Ion News, etc.

In my area there are a bunch of substations that show old sitcoms, from the 1950s to the present.

Lucky you! Rural areas are not so lucky. AS noted before, TV here comes from 100 miles away, Duluth, MN. Nothing remotely local. Rabbit ears would get ME nothing but static, lol. Heck, even cable is not available. DISH or Direct TV is all one can use to have clear, watchable TV. Luckily, DISH has a lot of channels now.

I get what you're saying, was just explaining what digital substations are and that they often run old sitcoms.

I know what you mean about Everybody Loves Raymond. For some reason, that show still cracks me up. I am watching it now. Those twin boys just make me laugh and Robert can get a laugh out of me no matter how many times I have seen the show. But, in watching these older shows, it is just so obvious of what they wouldn't be allowed to say now. LOL - the whole character of Frank Barone would have to be eliminated.

That said, I do wish I had the channels to watch the shows you referenced like Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart (the REAL one, not the one with the bed and breakfast!)

I never liked Everybody Loves Raymond. It annoyed me. I have watched Golden Girls on repeat throughout the pandemic. It's amazing how it still holds up. I think because at the time, it was really progressive in many ways, so it doesn't feel stale. It holds up better than some newer shows. I was re-watching Sex and the City before the reboot, and I HATED it. I was surprised because I loved it when it was on.

yep, that is how I am about Big Bang Theory. Used to love it... I can no longer stand Sheldon, and now he seems to be the star...I find him just insufferable

I have watched Golden Girls on repeat throughout the pandemic. It's amazing how it still holds up. I think because at the time, it was really progressive in many ways, so it doesn't feel stale. It holds up better than some newer shows. I was re-watching Sex and the City before the reboot, and I HATED it. I was surprised because I loved it when it was on.
Have you seen this funny Sex and the City parody? Bea Arthur is Carrie, Sally Struthers is Samantha, Katherine Helmond is Miranda and Charlotte Rae is Charlotte. Even Mr. Big makes an appearance. Bea Arthur nails it as Carrie.

I do watch reruns of Golden Girls........and it has always puzzled me...they live in Miami, and yet quite often they are wearing sweaters, warm robes, long sleeves, etc. Do folks there really dress like that ALL THE TIME? While I have visited, and worn sleeveless, shorts, always flat shoes, maybe the climate has changed, or the people?
Poirot, I can give some insight on Florida. I lived there for 4 years. We moved down in July of 2003 and I was told by regulars, that it would take about a year for my blood to acclimate to the change. Nope, by November, temp in 60's and I was freezing. In December during Christmas, I was out in sweaters. LOL. We did have some days in the winter months, that actually caused frost. I was way down south too, Naples/Marco Island.

My son lived in Miami for about 8 years, then came back up here to the frigid north. He definitely did not feel it was chilly there, tho there had to be days that were cooler than normal, and wind always makes it feel colder than it is.

On Everybody loves Raymond, his mom, Marie, seems to always have a frig full of wonderful leftovers, enough to feed 6-8 people sometimes, yet there is only she & her husband. Heck, Debra has a larger family but doesn't seem to cook in such large quantities. LOL. (yes, her family probably eats it all so no leftovers). And I will say, Ray's ill timed "jokes" are usually in very poor taste.

I get surprised there are no reruns of Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, or Rhoda, Archie Bunker, Jeffersons. Wonder why? (Too much money??)

And then there is "bringing back a show that did well first time round".......only they change the format, the characters, cast, etc. And it is NOT the show that previously had the name.
And we can't even say it's because of central air conditioning, since they dress the same outside!

I know what you mean about Everybody Loves Raymond. For some reason, that show still cracks me up. I am watching it now. Those twin boys just make me laugh and Robert can get a laugh out of me no matter how many times I have seen the show. But, in watching these older shows, it is just so obvious of what they wouldn't be allowed to say now. LOL - the whole character of Frank Barone would have to be eliminated.

That said, I do wish I had the channels to watch the shows you referenced like Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart (the REAL one, not the one with the bed and breakfast!)
Agree, LisaK. The original Newhart, set in Chicago, with Suzanne Pleshette, Peter Bonerz, Marcia Wallace, Bill Daily, was one of the best shows ever in sitcom history. The one in Vermont was just okay, with the late, great Peter Scolari and the three brothers,: Larry, Larry and Larry. Bob's deadpan deliveries were always his stock in trade, and they worked best on his original show.

yep, that is how I am about Big Bang Theory. Used to love it... I can no longer stand Sheldon, and now he seems to be the star...I find him just insufferable
I feel the same way, Poirot! I can't tolerate it anymore. But glad to see cast members in other shows. I really like Mayam Bialik in Call Me Kat, and still enjoy seeing Johnny Galecki in reruns of Roseanne. I won't watch Young Sheldon, either. The character is way too annoying.

I also really like reruns of Barney Miller, Taxi, Drew Carey and The Odd Couple. Would love to see reruns of Rhoda, but have not seen them on any stations lately. On Cozi TV, weeknights they air Frasier, an absolute favorite. The incredibly talented Jane "Daphne" Leeves is wonderful on The Resident now. So glad she is still actively working in the industry. If anyone wants to really laugh, try to find Whose Line Is It, Anyway? - a really great improv show that Drew Carey initially hosted, now hosted by Aisha Tyler, from Friends and Criminal Minds. A real treat. Though I find it randomly, never know when or where it will be on.

Back