Once Upon A Time - series on ABC

MystFaerie

Reaction score
I see that this show is back from "winter break" and was wondering if any of you watch it. From what I've seen of the ads for it, I think it is something I might like to watch, but since we live too far out, we don't get regular TV, and hubby won't get the local channels on DirecTV, and our internet is slow and not always dependable, so I'll buy it by the season when it comes out.

SO - If you watch and like the show, click "Appreciate" or post your opinion. Is it good? Interesting? Worth the $20 or more for the season? Or should I pass on it?

I like it, Myst. It does get rather silly at times, though. The premise is that the evil witch of Snow White, Cinderella, etc. put all of the other characters under a "forget" spell. They all live in a modern day Maine town. Snow White's grandson was adopted by the witch, and he is the only one who figured it out.

A better story is Grimm on ABC.

I like it. It goes back and forth from telling the backstories of the characters' "real" lives (the fairytale land) and the cursed lives (like our normal lives). It does take a few twists on the traditional stories to show a more complex history between the characters, but nothing that steps too far from believability. It's interesting to figure out who is what fairytale person...some are very obvious and some are not. It's very soapy in a lot of ways and it is a lighter show than Grimm.

I like this series however having said that, if something hadn't have happened before their hiatus, I was going to drop it. Judging by the previews, it looks like it will be picking up. I love seeing the fairy tale characters from the modern world and seeing their backstory and their dirt. The only thing I would change in this show is tonot have ever had the character of Henry. This kid seems to know everything and is at times given lines that only adults would say, so that part is not very realistic..........:rotfl:......... whihc I'm surprised I'm saying that about this show. I don't know, the character of Henry or meybe the kid that plays him, is not my favourite, part but other than that, I enjoy it.

Yes, I adore Once Upon A Time!! :clap:Two of the writers were on the LOST team.......and Lost is a fave of mine. I started reading fairytales as a child, have an adult collection of world-wide volumes, and think they've beautifully interpreted them in OUAT! Grimm is darker and strays from the text but is still a valid show. You can catch up on last season of OUAT at ABC.com

Like most new shows, I watch the first episode. Once Upon A Time -- while written well enough -- just didn't live up to the hype of it in my mind. Even Grimm is on the verge of being removed from my season passes. Matter of opinion -- while it's not my genre -- "American Horror Story" is probably the best written and produced show I can recall seeing this year, yet it's gone eerily unnoticed by the media. Amazingly huge crowd hit, but I guess the producers didn't bribe the right people to get it hyped in the media.

Wayne

I have watched OUAT from the beginning and it is good for the most part. Most of season one had episodes about the different storybook characters with the common thread the Wicked Witch against SnowWhite. I don't know if I would spend $20 on it. I do like "Grimm" but it might be disturbing for young children as the stories are a little darker...

Tonight's epi of OUAT was a great filler for Rumplestiltkin's background for those unaware. Next week I love the idea of the gingerbread house story!

I have had a problem with other favs running opposite, but watched Once Upon a Time from the the first episode. I liked the premise, about going back and forth. I forget the name of the town where this all occurs, in Maine, but it was clever. Last night, Rumplestiltskin was definitely not an attractive looking little guy, lol.
At times I have only gotten the last half hour or so, but yes, I prefer it to Grimm.
Myst, local channels are usually $5 per month. For $20....you can get 4 months of local. LOL

By the way, I was told that over on Hulu somewhere, you can watch whole episodes of shows for free. There is a 2nd site, too. I will find out and let you know.

yep - over on Hulu everywhere can you watch whole episodes for free (with the occasional quick ad interruption). =) Both Once Upon a Time and Grimm episodes are available.

I really do like Once Upon a Time - and it's kind of a miracle that I have found a vehicle for Jennifer Morrison in which I don't absolutely hate her (ugh, House). It's definitely lighter, entertaining fare. I just prefer the idea and darker themes of Grimm. I always liked the darker motifs in fairy tales anyway =)

The town is called Storybrooke.

Yep, that was the name. Thank you! From what I understand, the idea for these came because, in actuality, Disney aside, fairy tales really ARE dark and not always very nice. Evil is always afoot someway or other.
In fact some fairy tales, and especially Mother Goose rhymes, were written because of POLITICS at the time!!! Or gossip about royalty, government officials, etc.

I obsolutely love OUAT! I didn't realize until it was mentioned above that "Emma" was from House. Now that you mentioned it I realized that's where I recognized her. The town iscalled Story Brook, not sure how Henry figured all this out, but I really enjoy it and am so glad it's back from break.

Thanks for all the in-put! I hadn't heard of Grimm. With my rotating schedule it's hard for me to get into too many shows, and on the dish/cable channels, they run their seasons different. I never know when anything is on so end up watching old Raymond, Roseanne, Golden Girls, Cheers, Fraisers that I don't have to keep up with. I did record American Horror, have seen a couple episodes. I was working lots of long hours when that started - and missed getting the first episode recorded, somehow - I think there was some "sporting event" or something the hubby HAD to have taped and he figured he could catch MY show at another time. WRONG. Ah, well.

and Barb - he won't budge on getting a different package with the local network channels. This will HAVE to change when SoapNet drops Days!

OUAT is available free at ABC.com! As a lover of fairytales, I think the show is fabulous. Grimm is a bit one-sided exploring only the dark side. OUAT explores personal choices, consequences and the cost of doing right.

Once is my favorite new show. They did a marathon on New Years Day and we DVRed it so we could watch them all again. I enjoy the back and forth aspect and the costuming so much. I can ask my husband where he downloaded them from for free if u want to be able to watch them on your computer with no ads or interruptions. Grimm, imho, was ok but much campier. I figured I only had the mental space to back one of them and after one episode of Grimm I knew Once was going to be my pick. After their midseason premier their ratings jumped over 28% so they are defidently on for the 22 episode season and will most likely be back for next year too.
Xoxo
Dawn

I really like this show! I've been hooked on it since it started. I like it a lot better than Grimm...(the special effects aren't all that great in my opinion on Grimm) Plus I too like the story being told from the "modern era" and going back to the storybook/fairytale lives of the characters. It's been entertaining I think, so far. I missed the most recent episode, so I guess I'm gonna have to go on the ABC to watch it online, if this slow computer will allow such!!

To me, Grimm is darker, more predictable but still a good show. OUAT is stylized, unpredictable, has light/dark moments and much more complex. That hour just flies by leaving me wishing for MORE every week! And they are true to the original fairytales........with a twist.:cool:

anyone still watching Once Upon a Time?

I'm not sure if I still want to watch. I liked it a first with the stories where they used to live,
but it's getting to be the same ole thing lately.

I like both Once Upon a Time and Grimm. edited to spell out "Once Upon a Time"...JS

Back