Parenthood

SarahBeth

Reaction score
For unknown reasons the last episode recorded way too choppy and the nbc sites link to view it isn't working. ARGH......

I had to search through several pages but I did find it on youtube. Life is better now. :)

Hey, as long as were talking about Parenthood, can someone explain Joel/Julia to me? They bored me to tears so I sometimes skipped their scenes...but from what I can recall Joel got jealous of Julia/Ed's friendship, and Ed's attraction to Julia, moved out, acted like a jerk, and now he wants Julia back? Did I miss something...?

(I will say that I like this season a lot better and haven't skipped as much as the last two years. I think they're really pulling their 'A' game for the finalé.)

Joel and Julia frustrate me.
let me list a few of the reasons...

* they are horrible parents. example: Sidney. .. Victor seems ok, but he's had a rough life and at least Joel/Julia are a step up from where he was. Sidney just needs a reality check, and a good old fashioned spanking. She's more of a brat than Ciara on Days!
* Julia really annoyed me with her entitled attitude when Joel went to work. The first few seasons, Joel stayed at home and took care of house and kids while Julia worked. When Julia had to come home, Joel went back to work and the entire time Julia made him feel like her life was ending and she was "oh so miserable" and whatever else ailed her. Julia needed to be supportive of Joel and she failed. THEN, she allows herself to get close to Ed, went to his house AND KISSED HIM. Joel wasn't just jealous of Ed- he was furious for Julia's betrayal.
* Julia straightened up immediately and asked Joel to try and work it out with her, repeatedly. Joel just blew her off. I went from thinking Julia was totally at fault, to now Joel is totally at fault. Reality - they are both at fault. always thinking of their own hurt before caring about anyone else. It's no wonder she finally gave up.
* Now Julia has a new boyfriend, who is really nice, genuine, and thinks about her. I like him. :( But I hate. HATE to see Joel lose her.

ugh! I just want to see them try. You know, both of them, at the same time. not just one or the other. But I'm thinking Joel is too late to the party. The new boyfriend has Julia's attention. and sadly, I get it.
Isn't it strange to both like and dislike a storyline at the same time? That can be how divorce is I guess, so kudos to Parenthood writers for portraying that.

I love Parenthood. I have never missed an episode. Never fast forwarded through a single scene. It's my all time favorite show. I'm heartbroken this is the final season.

:clap:That sums up my feelings about Joel and Julia as well. I want to root for them but I can't make up my mind if I really want that because both of them at different times are making it difficult. (Also regarding Sydney, I did think that it was a good thing on Days that Ciara didn't finagle her way into going to California with Sami because she might meet Joel and Julia's Sydney somewhere and the two of them together is not something I want to contemplate.)

Also on my list of Parenthood characters that are really annoying me right now is Kristina. I cannot stand her overprotective "Max has Aspergers so therefore he can never function in the world without me" attitude. I've always felt that way but this whole Dylan/Max thing is really cementing it for me.

I also love Parenthood and am really sad this is its final season :(

Love it as well although last season was busy for me, so I zipped through a lot but tried to watch a little of each story. Turns out I didn't miss anything, it's just kinda jumpy plotting!! LOL

My faves are Sarah, Crosby/Jasmine (their dumb forced breakup was what made me start zipping through scenes to be honest). I have never really liked Kristina.

My guess is Joel/Julia will make up (though this is a bit of a retread of the Crosby/Jasmine breakup/makeup) since it's the final season.

Crosby/Jasmine has grown on me, I must admit. I thought their make up after Jasmine had dated that other guy all season a few years back was contrived, but I enjoy them now.

After last week's episode I cannot STAND Kristina's parenting style. Just because Max has Aspergers doesn't mean he gets to do whatever he wants and the world has to change to meet his desires. If he doesn't understand the social codes that stop people from passing out flyers harassing their competition or badgering a girl who isn't interested in him, someone should be teaching him, not telling him that his bad behavior is something to be proud of.

I have been re-watching the show from the beginning on Netflix. I just wanted to relive the Braverman family before it all ends.

I have to say watching it and knowing where it goes to, gives you a different perspective.
For example, I had forgotten that Joel was unhappy when Julia first decided to have another baby. He was so restless about being a stay at home dad. and then fast forward it to right before he left her. I thought it was so out of character for him to be disgruntled, but really he had felt that way before.

Also, it was interesting how Max's character and his aspergers has evolved.

And one last thought, Sydney has ALWAYS been fresh and spoiled.

Yes, I think he's appearing the week of January 28th, though I'm not sure.

Last week's Parenthood was certainly a tearjerker! I can't remember the last time I felt a need to go to bed right afterwards because a show was so sad.

I would really like it if everyone on this show winds up with a promising future. I don't want them to kill off Zeke! Even though people dying is realistic, I watch tv to escape, not confront harsh reality!

Did anyone else kinda want to punch Joel in the penultimate episode? I mean - they get back together, and now he's acting insecure about what she did after HE LEFT HER, but doesn't want to talk about it (just stew and pout)? And I'm sorry, but his construction jobs do not pay for that schnazzy house, and it means Julia has to go back to the early calls and always being "on the clock." This should have been understood, now he's whining. I'm hoping he donates his heart to Zeek so he'll serve some useful purpose after all.

ugh - I agree ...however, Julia couldn't answer him when he asked how many men? that was weird. made me feel like the time between Joel and the new guy had quite a few suitors, if you know what I mean. Julia was busy I guess? I do think it says something that Joel didn't sleep with anyone at all... and, that could sort of explain why he's got pent up anger. He's frustrated Julia- take the man to bed and he'll be ok. LOL... :) (I'm kidding...) but anyways, I agree that Joel over reacted, but Julia is too. She shouldn't be surprised that this news hurts him. I'm glad they made up though, and glad this fight is over and done with... and admire them for taking the fight to the car. lol :)

also- Joel isn't just in "construction".. he's a project engineer, from what I have gathered in previous seasons. He's the boss, the manager, the one getting paid the big bucks... I'm sure he makes a decent amount. I doubt it's as much or more than Julia, seems that was the reason he was chosen to be stay at home dad when Sydney came along? who knows.
Regardless, it was unreasonable of him to ask Julia to quit. he knows how much she loves her career- it was her loss of a job that started the downward spiral. he should support her need to work.

Kristina and Adam really frustrate me. I have worked with special needs children and adults- and they are very capable of learning and understanding discipline. Kristina and Adam seem to excuse all behavior to Aspergers/Autism. What frustrates me- is they DO discipline him with some things (by some I mean, maybe once they have shown this LOL), and the show demonstrated how good they are at approaching him the correct way about it. But then they take something that is really serious to me, and just say "well, he has aspergers"?? They need a little more consistency for me. (And for the record, it is NOT ok that Dylan calls him Aspergers. Even if he likes it, and wants her to call him that. It's not ok. period. Dylan is smart enough to understand. She's just another product of parents that fail to discipline.)

Kristina also recently made me mad about the Luncheonette. She would have done the same for Adam that Jasmine did for Crosby. She is a liar for saying otherwise. And she really caused everyone pain with her scene at the hospital. really, Kristina? Goodness. Jasmine should have slapped you. She is a very strong woman to have held back.

And then there's Amber. with Grandpa Zeke.... and baby Zeke, oh... my tears of happy flowed.

*****speculation... just a gut feeling I have... that I really really hope doesn't come true, but I don't think I'll be mad if it does:

the last episode... Zeke walks Sarah down the aisle, a wonderful happy day. then we see a black screen that says "x weeks/months later".... Zeke passes away. Everyone is gathered for a very emotional goodbye. The eulogies are read- each character gets to say goodbye to Zeke...and in so doing, say their goodbye's to the show.
great. I'm going to cry. for reals. I should write for drama. I make myself cry with the stuff I come up with. lol.

Kristina also recently made me mad about the Luncheonette. She would have done the same for Adam that Jasmine did for Crosby. She is a liar for saying otherwise. And she really caused everyone pain with her scene at the hospital. really, Kristina? Goodness. Jasmine should have slapped you. She is a very strong woman to have held back.
Bingo. Kristina has annoyed me forever, I really wanted her to die of cancer. (Would have been more dramatic and less predictable, too.)

Back