Paul's character

sgen75

Reaction score
I'm really trying to like Paul, but for someone who claims to be so in love and enamored with Sonny, the guy has already made googly eyes at both Will (especially) and bellhop Derrick. It just feels smarmy to me, or perhaps I'm just being prudish?

No....that is his facade, the one he hides behind....Flirt and "come on" to everyone, whether male or female. In some cases, (males) he hits a home run.Sonny already mentioned it to him, Paul told him that he had been with others after he & Sonny broke up.
Right now, Paul, Sonny & Will know nothing about the relationships. Paul does not know Will is Sonny's husband. Will does not know Paul is Sonny's ex-lover, and Sonny does not know Paul is the subject of Will's article.

The interesting thing was that Will sent his draft to his grandmother, who has caused more trouble for so many people.....but he trusted her not to reveal who he was writing about to anyone. And yet he would not show that draft to Sonny, whereas in the past he has done so. Since when does Will not trust Sonny to keep something secret?

Meanwhile, Paul is wanting to get back with Sonny, ready to come out of the closet, begging Sonny to resume their relationship......and yet is openly coming on to another man.

Well, in Paul's "defense" (though not a strong one, I will admit that), Sonny has told him to move on, that there is no hope for them. So he's moving on to Will. Not because he truly loves Will, but I guess as a way to make himself feel better, less lonely. I'm not saying that's O.K., but I guess I can understand. In fact, I can understand that much more than the violent sex we've been seeing lately. Plus, right now, we don't know if Sonny and Will are going to do anything. I'm still hoping William will stop himself. Maybe a kiss, maybe some flirting, but that's it. Again, not all right, but not as worse as sleeping with Paul.

I also think that Paul's presence in Salem goes beyond being Sonny's ex. I've been convinced since day 1 that he is Stefano's kid. That would have lots of possibilities. I'm also thinking he has the same mother as Jordan and Ben. So I think there is much more to come from Paul down the line.

Heck, Paul was flirting with Derrick before Sonny even knew Paul was in town, and he flirted with Will the first time he laid eyes on him. Not big time, but he still flirted. All he has done since Sonny told him to move on, is to make flirting more obvious and intense.

Indeed, Poirot. But I still think Paul's flirting is a defense mechanism. And now, since he's suffering, he intensifies the flirting in hopes it leads to something more, to avoid feeling the pain. That's the way I see it. But maybe that's because I like the character of Paul right now. Of course, if I find out that Paul knew that Will is Sonny's husband, I'll be one disappointed and disgusted viewer. But right now, Paul is not the bad guy. Will is.

So far, there is nothing about Paul that I find attractive. He doesn't seem to have an honest bone in his body. He flirts with EVERYBODY.
Paul definitely lacks ethics. He tried to deceive major league baseball teams by having secret surgery at a small-city hospital. This just isn't done, and would raise red flags in the baseball world about his character and judgment. As for his personal life, he may be lonely and have other personal issues, but he's the functional equivalent of some sleazy guy who looks up his old girl friend and suggests that she dump her husband and reconnect with him.

Speaking of Paul and his surgery, I finally realized why he's not back to his 100 mph pitching and it truly IS Daniel's fault.

Daniel operated on Paul in the hospital. Had the surgery been done on the kitchen table at the Horton cabin, using a can-opener, shoelace, Chapstick and a curling iron, I bet Paul would've been been so fixed, he'd have been able to pitch balls at 200 mph. :wink:

I don't know what I think of Paul, yet. I don't think he is a bad guy but he is guy who is lonely, scared, yearning for the past and wishing it had been different and someone who is a but lost. The moment Sonny told Paul he was married, Paul should have immediately backed off.

Pressures on him are coming to terms with being openly gay, which I am not convinced he is truly ready to be out, reaction from his parents, the fact his career may be over, and feeling like he will not get Sonny back.

The fact that Will hasn't told Sonny about his new assignment is dumb because regardless of confidentiality, I would have still told my spouse and the same for Sonny. I would think that Will would have known stories about Paul, being that couples do tell each other about past relationships or hook ups.

I agree with the defense mechanism. Also that Paul is lonely and longing to feel something, anything at this point. He loves Sonny, that much is obvious, but imagine how devastating it would be to hear that the man you are in love with can never truly again be yours. He's mending a broken heart and when that happens logic goes out the window and you tend to do things that you shouldn't do. I think coming on stronger is proof of that.

Paul doesn't know about Will. Plain and simple. In my mind he would have ended the article if there was any proof that Will is Sonny's husband. Today Will wasn't too forthcoming about his marriage and very eager to explore his sexual attraction for Paul. The difference between Will and Paul is that Will crossed a line knowingly, where Paul is still in the dark.

I'm just worried for Sonny. He's going to walk into that hotel room and watch two men who at any given time he was very much in love with, betray him. Not looking forward to tomorrow's episode.

Heck, Paul was flirting with Derrick before Sonny even knew Paul was in town, and he flirted with Will the first time he laid eyes on him. Not big time, but he still flirted. All he has done since Sonny told him to move on, is to make flirting more obvious and intense.

No, he didn't flirt with Derrick until he stayed at the hotel, which was after he & Sonny saw each other in the hospital.

I don't know what I think of Paul, yet. I don't think he is a bad guy but he is guy who is lonely, scared, yearning for the past and wishing it had been different and someone who is a but lost. The moment Sonny told Paul he was married, Paul should have immediately backed off.
The fact that Will hasn't told Sonny about his new assignment is dumb because regardless of confidentiality, I would have still told my spouse and the same for Sonny. I would think that Will would have known stories about Paul, being that couples do tell each other about past relationships or hook ups.
I'm with you on this one Muzza. Paul being unknown to Will is illogical. So is the confidentiality thing, since legally they are the same person (at least in terms of a Sonix contract).

Personally I think Paul is not "in love" with Sonny, so much as he's fixated on him, since he's "safe." Paul knows that Sonny will keep his secret, or not, whereas other guys may/may not based on their own agendas.

All in all I find their story more compelling than EJ/Sami/Rafe and the violence involved therein. As long as there are no rapes/kidnappings/clones, I can accept a few dumb plot holes for a bit.

Ok. maybe I am crazy but I was under the impression that Paul probably knew that Will was Sonny's husband. I figured that was the real reason he asked for him to do the article. Also when they first met Paul gave a look like he knew exactly who he was dealing with. I can't remember what they were talking about at the time because I fast forward so much. I think it must have been about relationships or something and Paul had a look like he knew Will wasn't telling the truth.

I figured this was a way to play dumb while attempting to break them up.

As of now, we don't know if Paul has any idea that Will is Sonny's husband.

Will made a point to remove his wedding ring and hide the fact he is married. So, unless Paul "Ewe Searched" Sonny to see if he could find out who he married, Paul is in the dark about Will's connection to Sonny.

While we do not "know" for sure if Paul was aware that Will is Sonny's husband....Paul has hidden so much all this while...who knows? The thing is...Paul chooses a small town hospital for his important surgery, where, his ex lover just happens to live. He insists on confidentiality, but then somehow, Sonix people manage to know where he is, and he agrees to an interview, only if Will writes it.
First, if Paul's shoulder was SO IMPORTANT to him, he would have made sure he went to the best surgeon & hospital in the world! And he could easily get confidentiality at any of them. And then the interview in a "rag mag"??? How many times did we see Paul reading and rereading that article?
However, I will say, these writers have shown they don't care about logic, common sense, and certainly do not do any kind of research. Just glad we did not have to watch Dr. superhero performing the operation in a surgery cubicle, in the dark, with only one nurse in attendance. LOL

Back