Philip

SarahBeth

Reaction score
I really don't like that tptb have brought Philip in and immediately he is a donkey's butt. That's just not Philip. Also I absolutely can't stand the hairstyle. They don't need to try and go for familiarity with it due to a new actor playing the part when it just looks awful on him.

I was wondering if Philip is older than Brady??? I thought Brady was born after him, yet Philip looks so much older :confused:

I also am thrown by the supposed age placement of this new Philip. But considering he was with Belle years back, and Belle now has a fairly old teenager, it doesn't seem as off as it would have. Also though, I'm kind of mixed up by several of the ages of current characters and therefore who they may be paired with. Anyone else confused, or am I just not concentrating hard enough to grasp the timelines?

I am very confused, I mean I know it is a soap, but he looks way older than Brady. Ahhh and I meant that Brady was born first, which would make him older than Philip, my mistake. Yes, so is it just me, or does Philip look a lot older than Brady?

Eric Martsolf (Brady) was born in 1971. John-Paul Lavoisier (Philip) was born in 1980.

Anyone else confused, or am I just not concentrating hard enough to grasp the timelines?
We're supposed to just ignore the ages. Time is fluid in Salem, as are ages and how many bedrooms are in a house/apartment.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you JS. I was just referring to the story ine on the show. Just think Philip looks older than his nephew. lol

Not to me, but what the heck. Just look at Marlena, who came to town a full fledged psychiatrist, already practicing for a few years, which had to put her near 30. She married, had a child who died a crib death at 6 mos. It was some additional years before she eventually married Roman, then had the twins. That would have put her in her early-mid 30s, and then 15 years later she had Belle (who no longer is 15 years younger that Eric & Sami) Now Sami was about 17-18 when she gave birth to Will, who was 21 when he married, and if Arianna is 2, then was 23 when he died. I don't think Sami is supposed to be in her 40s, nor is Marlena supposed to be in her 70s.
As JS noted, time and ages are just very fluid in Salem. LOL

I think personally the actor wanted to resemble more like Jay Kenneth Johnson (ex Philip) so viewers recognized the ratty messy Philip hair that Jay Kenneth Johnson had, more the face for that style. I hope once all viewers recognize him as Philip he goes for a shorter do.

Apart from the age and hair issues, the latest edition of Philip is obviously bad news. He seems to have left whatever ethics he possessed back in Chicago, and apparently has as little common sense as that renegade family member, Xander. Overall, he's Victor's worst Titan hire since he made psycho Ian McAllister the CEO. Brady may not have gone to work much, but a least he did no business harm. In contrast, new Philip seems ready to run the company right off the rails. At some point, Victor may realize that bringing back shaggy Philip was almost as big a mistake as marrying Vivian. And when this happens, even Maggie's warm milk, herbal tea, and home-baked cookies won't be able to soothe him.

I am also disappointed. He looks like a slimeball from the start. And he appears older. He looks like he is in his mid 40s to me. The hair is awful and he is not acting anything like the Philip that I loved when Jay Kenneth Johnson played him. The people doing the casting could have done much better on this one. Whoever does the casting should be fired. First we got an awful version of Will after Chandler Massey and now this, ehhh

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it truly made me laugh when NBC released the spoiler pics for next week, and used a picture of OLD Philip with Victor. So I think newer viewers can get to compare the hair. very much the same. LOL

That was ghetto I noticed that too. I hope they pay Jay Kenneth Johnson (ex Philip) royalties. That's absurd.

The actor, in real life, is just 35, while in real life, the actor portraying Brady is 44. Both are portraying characters in mid-30s. In my opinion, Philip was not at all comfortable in what he was wearing, I don't think the clothes fit him well at all, but, who knows. Since it was filmed 5-6 months ago, things may have changed a lot now.

Is it just me or does anyone else get a real 'Zack Morris' vibe from this new Philip?

NOTE: Zack Morris is a character from the old TV show, Saved By the Bell - JS

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope by now he has adopted his "own look" instead of trying to look like Jay Kenneth Johnson (previous Philip).

I am sure eventually once viewers all over recognize him as Philip instead of Jay Kenneth Johnson he might adopt his own look back.

Reminds me of Kate when Lauren Koslow took over the role from Deborah Adair (ex Kate). In the beginning when Lauren Koslow came on as Kate, she tried to resemble Deborah Adair had the short 90's business lady hair, power dress suits, and big gold earrings. Eventually Lauren Koslow grew into her role as Kate as her own hence we now see the blue smurf streak in her hair which would've been unheard of in the past.

Same with Abby in a sense. She was always golden or almost platinum blonde just so she can look like the previous actress and more like Jennifer. Once the actress grew into her role as Abby after awhile she went back to her natural dark brown hair.

Last edited:
Back