Problems with neighbors(Long post/rant)

LOL, I doubt that. By the way, when you make that complaint to the mgmnt. please sure and mention this. (The very important business call and what happened) and definitely make the complaint.
the last apartment I lived in had cement ceilings. truly did soundproof. (I lived on lst floor, and there were kids above and never heard them unless they were in the hall. Had a neighbor across the hall that I never ever saw, ever. But he sure did play a beautiful violin. (he used to practice in the afternoon. But I only heard it if I opened my door to leave, or when I came back home.
I truly feel for you. I am laughing now thinking how surprised they must have been to hear the pounding. LOL.

Ive lived in several apartments before and never had to deal with this much noise and the last place i lived in was next door to college students and even before that i spent 4 years living in a college dorm! Well after i banged on the ceiling they put their kids on the porch, and shortly after that they got in their car and left!!

Maybe you can convince the building mgmt to put in some sort of sound proofing. You should also research your locality rules on noise violations and renters rights. But honestly, 8am is not that early. You might have a different schedule than most people but 8am isn't an unseemly hour to be up and making noise.

There is clause in our lease that states quiet hours are between 10 pm and 9 am and even before/after quiet hours we are still entitled to the right of quiet enjoyment in our apartment or something along those lines. Im still trying to find the actual papers to verify that. If i came home at 1:00 am and decided to chase my dog around my apartment while blasting death metal from my ridiculously sized speakers im sure no one would complain. lol

We lived in an apartment (with a newborn) next to a couple who had 4 kids. These kids were up all hours of the night (I'm talking 2am!) running around and LITERALLY bouncing off the walls while screaming at the top of their lungs. With the way the 4 apartments were set up, we, only shared one adjoining wall even tho we lived in one of the 2 middle apartments (there was a hallway for the 2 middle ones). Even tho the guy renting us the place said that we were his best renters, complaining did no good. My husband even talked to the people next door and it did no good. I finally got to where I would have to leave a TV on 24/7 just so my child wouldn't be scared to death by a sudden bump or crash and could sleep. Since we only had to worry about the one adjoining wall, I didn't worry too much about if the TV was loud (my baby was in another room during those times) or if I bumped the wall during a time when they were quiet (which I did a few times) and even punched the wall one time right where they were hitting it.

I hope you can get it straightened out. Definitely get with some of the other neighbors and see if they have the same complaint. If need be, it may be taking it as far as calling the police to file a noise complaint. I'm sure that wouldn't help, but you do what you have to do when you run out of options. Like you said, you are respectful of their "bedtime" schedule when you get home from work, they should show the same courtesy.

Yep, i went yesterday morning and the news isn't great. I want to preface this rant by saying this apartment complex is owned by a large company and they are usually only helpful until you want something and the I said/she said are paraphrased as i don't recall exactly what was said that morning.

So i went in yesterday morning and explained the situation, giving examples of disturbances and so on, while i was speaking she started pulling out files and papers as if she already knew what i was there for. After i was done speaking she informed me that it was the son that was making the majority of the noise and she had complaints before but and the child has some sort of illness and the stress of moving wouldn't be good for him, without thinking i said well his legs, arms and lungs definitely work so can you elaborate on this so called illness? She of course could not. I said well if its some kind of behavioral disorder or something like that the kid needs to be medicated! If his family cant or wont control him then they have no business living above someone else. At this point she pretty much cut me off and told me that we had the option to move to another apartment within the complex but didn't currently any 2 bedrooms available but i could move into a one bedroom until one became available, possibly as early as June. I said fine who do i send the bill for the moving expenses to? Well of course those aren't covered! So i asked how much the cost would be to get out of our leases(that isn't a typo, we have two), i was informed the cost would be several thousand dollars to cancel both. She then explained that my complaint would be filed(why bother?) and that if the options offered didn't work for me she hoped that maybe i could try to work things out with my neighbor.

Later that day i came home and found a note stuck in my door from my neighbor apologizing and again referencing this mystery illness, without reading it all the way through i just wadded it up and threw it in the doggy waste receptacle in the front of my apartment. Today I called a friend who works with leases to see if there was anything i could do to get out of ours and he pretty much told me as long as they offered to remedy the situation, i.e moving to another apartment, then we had no right to break them. So it seems i am pretty much stuck with the apartment shaking gallops of undisciplined children for another 6 months!

It does seem that management must have called and told of the complaint. You can continue to go into the office every week, and lodge a new complaint.

sorry to hear Jarrod.

I don't know much about apartments,etc. shouldn't the people who own
building know about problem and should tell people first before they move in.

when you buy a house, you have to be told about the bad stuff.
why not an apartment?

Not that you would or should, but would mentioning calling the police do any good. I know I hear of police being called all the time by neighbors, usually because of loud music, but sometimes loud voices, etc. (I have a police scanner I only use to see if the plows are out when it snows, but thus, I hear all kinds of other stuff) Plus our paper lists all the police calls (tho no names)
You could mention to the management that your frustration is such with the non-cooperation, you are on the verge of calling the police about the racket. ????? And then to the parents, that you really do not want to resort to calling the police, but this situation is getting to be more than you can handle. ????? Really am sorry you are going thru all this.

I'm so sorry jarrod. Apologies only go so far when you do nothing to rectify the situation. I have a nephew who has special needs and can get quite loud at times but that is where the parents are supposed to step up and create a livable environment for all - if that means they move down to the first floor as soon as one is available then so be it. Since they are already in the building, then it shouldn't be that much of a problem. It's obvious that it's an ongoing problem and they are the common factor in all of it. I can't believe that the landlord would rather just file the complaints instead of rectifying the situation. SEems to me that he/she would want to keep the "good" renters around.

Maybe you can file a complaint with a renter's association or the Better Business Bureau? it wouldn't help the problem, but it would help others who are looking for housing in the area know about the issues there and how they bounce from tenant to tenant unresolved and their unwillingness to be reasonable given the living situations and the hostile environment that is created.

If they cant move you to a two bedroom can they do sound proofing on your current apt? I'd keep on reporting incidents so you have a paper trail. Maybe you could compromise on a move within the complex if they reduce your rent for x number of months? Definitely look into what constitutes a noise violation, maybe if you report enough the rental company will want you out and let you out of your lease. Definitely don't just put up with it but also dont retaliate against your neighbors or rental company...that could backfire. As a temporary solution for sleeping have you tried a white noise machine?

If they are loud enough to be recorded, record them. Especially when they are on the patio, i think i remember you mentioned that. Not sure if the pounding, stomping and screaming can be picked up but maybe it's worth a try. If you are able to get some of this noise pollution, call up the Better Business Bureau and ask them if they have any suggestions. In my area we have a news reporter that helps with grievances that seem to be ignored or not handled by a company. I don't think the apartment association owners would be too happy to know you have called BBB or your local news station. It's really ridiculous that they put you under an apartment with an unmedicated child with an illness which causes others to be uncomfortable/lack of sleep/unpleasant conditions but then turn around and want to charge you to move into another location? Where is the justice?

Thanks everyone for your feedback and support! After yesterdays meeting I feel as though the people who work at the office are just cogs in a much larger machine and can only do as much as they are allowed . I think im going take some time, write a killer letter and email it to the company directly and see what can be done! On the plus side things have been alot quieter around here the last few days!
@Mwise I spoke with my significant other about taking the smaller apartment and just isnt plausible, we have a whole bedroom set in that extra room that we would have to put in storage if we moved into smaller place. Moving from a 1100 sqft apt to a 720 would be tough adjustment!

I'm glad things are quieter for you Jarrod. maybe it will get better.

Be sure and have a calender to write down times of noise
you might for need evidence later.

I'm sorry to hear about your neighbors. What an awful situation for you. Is it possible to get on the waiting list for a two-bedroom? I know it doesn't help right now but hopefully one will be available soon.

Back