Ratings: Days Hits New Low in Total Viewers

cryin4days

Reaction score
Ratings Report for the Week of April 13-17, 2015

Numbers are based on Live+Same Day ratings

(Compared to Last Week/Compared to Last Year)

Total Viewers
1. Y&R 4,927,000 (-101,000/+337,000)
2. B&B 3,742,000 (-96,000/+116,000)
3. GH 2,809,000 (-27,000/+102,000)
4. DAYS 2,154,000 (-111,000/-254,000) <—— new low *
* Previous low: 2,162,000 (April 2-6, 2012)

Households
1. Y&R 3.53/12 (-.05/+.18)
2. B&B 2.7/9 (-.06/+.05)
3. GH 2.08/7 (-.05/same)
4. DAYS 1.67/6 (-.02/-.13)

Women 18-49 Viewers
1. Y&R 897,000 (+8,000/+184,000)
2. B&B 612,000 (-47,000/+21,000)
3. GH 561,000 (+26,000/-83,000)
4. DAYS 424,000 (-21,000/-115,000)

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.4/11 (+.01/+.29)
2. B&B 0.96/7 (-.07/+.04)
3. GH 0.88/6 (+.04/-.13)
4. DAYS 0.66/5 (-.03/-.18) <—— ties low * (6th straight week)
* Rounded up to 0.7

Women 18-34 Viewers
1. GH 241,000 (+45,000/+34,000)
2. Y&R 234,000 (-7,000/+71,000)
3. B&B 142,000 (-50,000/-9,000)
4. DAYS 125,000 (+14,000/-12,000)

Women 18-34 Rating
1. GH 0.71 (+.13/+.1)
2. Y&R 0.69 (-.02/+.21)
3. B&B 0.42 (-.15/-.03)
4. DAYS 0.37 (+.04/-.04)

DAYS
Monday: 1.67/2,152,000
Tuesday: 1.71/2,258,000
Wednesday: 1.73/2,207,000
Thursday: 1.64/2,149,000
Friday: 1.58/2,003,000

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/201...ewers-2?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Monday: 1.67/2,152,000
Before anyone can get the details about John being Paul's father, Tori faints dead away. Paul takes her to Sonny's office, and after she recovers, he demands the truth. With her son by her side, Tori returns to John, Marlena, Sonny and Will and reveals she did come back to Salem all those years ago to tell John about their baby. However, she learned he was a priest and decided to keep their love child a secret. Marlena takes Will aside and lays into him for painting Paul in a bad light to John. Meanwhile, John reaches out to Paul, but Paul rejects him. As Paul and Tori leave and make plans to return to San Francisco, John questions whether Marlena knew. He's upset when she admits she suspected and didn't say anything to him. At the same time, Sonny tells Will he's fed up with his lies. As Clyde counsels Ben not to trust Chad, Abigail confronts her ex for planning to lure her to dinner. She's aghast when she realizes the second place setting is not for her but for Zoe Browning. Abigail apologizes to Chad and makes a quick exit. Chad then reveals to Zoe that he has bought Sonix Magazine. Meanwhile, Abigail confesses to Ben about going to the mansion. Ben confides his decision to strengthen his ties with his father. Aiden surprises Hope by returning early from a trip. They share some romance, but are interrupted by Clyde, who seeks legal help for Ben. When Aiden picks up on Hope's mistrust of his client, the pair agrees to keep business separate and focus on the pleasure of each other's company.

Tuesday: 1.71/2,258,000
Theresa takes a dig at Daniel over Nicole's date with Xander. Eric pulls his cousin aside to read her the riot act just as Brady arrives to overhear. Brady blasts Theresa, declaring that her anger has driven away anyone who could possibly care about her. Earlier, Brady and Melanie share romantic moments. Melanie then gets a call from the lab and learns Theresa was indeed pregnant all those months ago. Meanwhile, in Italy, Kristen tenderly holds a baby in her arms. Serena warns Xander he needs to steer clear of Nicole. Xander tells her to focus on the task at hand - delivering the diamonds. Serena makes an attempt to retrieve them from Daniel's apartment, but Melanie is preoccupied with the possibility of Brady being Theresa's baby daddy. Meanwhile, Daniel confronts Nicole about her coffee date and takes it as a sign she has moved on. Nicole asks for another chance but is shocked when Xander shows up - and she realizes the two men know each other. Marlena again lectures Will about trying to turn John against Paul. Will reiterates his desire to save his marriage and his willingness to do so by any means necessary. Later, Marlena tries to explain to John her motives for keeping the secret, but he freezes her out. Earlier, John turns to Sonny to learn more about his son. Later, Will reaches out to Sonny but greatly underestimates his husband's anger about Will's infidelity and his inability to take responsibility for it.

Wednesday: 1.73/2,207,000
Melanie finally tells Brady what she's learned about Theresa's pregnancy and the possibility that Clint took both Theresa's and Brady's blood because Kristen has the baby somewhere. Brady remembers Kristen's final phone call before she left Salem... and finally believes Melanie is correct. In Italy, Mandrake informs Kristen they've found a match for the bone marrow her son needs: it's Theresa. Kristen orders Clint to go get her. Mandrake protests, fearing it's risky, but Kristen insists. Back in Salem, Anne comforts a distraught Theresa, who's upset that everyone thinks she's a liar. Anne is less than sympathetic. Theresa's so fed up she tells Anne not to be surprised if she leaves Salem. Theresa then encounters Nicole, and Eric pulls them back from a fight. Nicole returns for one final word: she hopes Theresa gets everything she deserves. Nicole is stunned to learn Daniel and Xander know each other and that Xander is Victor's nephew. Later, Daniel talks to Maggie about what a troubled and dangerous young man Xander used to be. Meanwhile, Xander corners Serena and makes it clear if she doesn't come through, both she and Eric will be sorry. JJ confronts Eve about stealing the coat. He thinks she's planning to use it somehow to take him down. Eve denies this. Paige arrives to find them fighting, and they cover. After Eve leaves, JJ admits he and her mother are lying to her.

Thursday: 1.64/2,149,000
Brady believes Melanie may be right - perhaps Kristen did steal his and Theresa's child. He insists to Melanie he must track down Kristen on his own, then takes off to see Victor. Without saying why, Brady asks his grandfather if he knows where Kristen is living. Realizing Brady needs to be his own man, Victor gives him the info. Brady then takes off in his private jet for Italy - not knowing Melanie has stowed away. Earlier, Melanie covers with Daniel, telling him she's going to visit her mother in Europe. She also has a quick run-in with Theresa, who bitterly assumes Melanie is off to vacation with Brady. In Italy, Kristen confesses to Mandrake that once they get the bone marrow from Theresa, she plans to make sure Christopher's biological mother disappears permanently. Earlier, Theresa and Nicole get into a huge brawl in the square. Xander breaks it up and bonds a little with Nicole. Later, Nicole goes to Daniel to ask if they still have a chance together. Earlier, Daniel wonders if Victor brought Xander to town to break up him and Nicole. Victor honestly swears that's not the case. JJ admits to Paige that he and Eve will never get along. He doesn't trust her, and he knows she hates him. Paige is upset but understands. She confesses she's more in love with JJ than ever, and later, JJ and Paige make love for the first time. Eve runs into Ben and reminds him she and Paige used to know him as Kevin back in Miami. Wary, Abigail interrupts and wonders why Eve is speaking with her boyfriend. She starts to suspect Eve may have been the one to rat out Ben to the Florida authorities but Eve truly has no idea what Abigail is talking about.

Friday: 1.58/2,003,000
JJ and Paige make love and are later nearly discovered as Jennifer comes home. Once Paige is gone, JJ tells his mom about Eve keeping the coat he'd borrowed from Daniel the night he and Eve first had sex. Jennifer is troubled by this. Meanwhile, Eve meets with Cole and presses him to push ahead with their plan to break up her daughter and JJ. Later, Eve talks with Paige and privately figures out she and JJ had sex. After Paige leaves, Eve flies into a rage. Nicole asks Daniel if they have a chance to make things work... and in answer, he kisses her gently. He then puts on the brakes, still believing they shouldn't rush things. He suggests they go out and just have fun. Before they can leave, Xander and Serena arrive at Daniel's apartment. They privately want to sneak the diamonds out from Serena's hiding place... but neither counted on Nicole being there and it upends their plan for the time being. Kate subtly makes sure Victor hears about Lucas and Adrienne's affair. Meanwhile, Lucas and Adrienne make love back at the Kiriakis mansion. When Victor returns home, he knocks on Adrienne's door - and announces he knows Lucas is with her. He promptly fires Lucas from Mad World. Back at Edge of the Square, Rafe warns Kate about Clyde, saying he's dangerous. However, Kate insists that's what appeals to her the most.

Gotta tell you, I would really love if these past couple of years were part of the book Corday wrote, and want his explanation...or rather his excuses for it all. This all is really a shame, and Corday has no one to blame but himself. In the past, he has, a couple of times, replaced headwriters after less than a year, but he let this go on and on and on, despite the continual drop in the ratings.

Look at this most recent reveal. Paul turns out to be John's son. This should be huge, with Paul, Tori, John, Marlena, all involved, private conversations between these various people. Instead, they have a 2 or 3 minute admission, and a few days later, a 2 minute conversation between John & Paul out in CA. Poorly handled, very poorly handled. Instead you get repeticious conversations between Paige & Eve, JJ & Paige, Serena & Xander...& the babbling of Melanie. Sorry.....I just really hate that Days has lost so many viewers because of continual poor judgement on the part of Corday, and yes, probably too much interference from the NBC suits.

They should just go ahead and scrap everything the have remaining under the old regimen and do a five month time jump. Start a Monday episode with the words "5 Months Later" in the opening scene.

I agree. Put Eric/Nicole and John/Marlena back together and put Rafe on the police force and show us newly created flashbacks explaining how it happened.

One of the problems is there's no buildup and the climax of stories don't seem much like a climax. Take Brady, Theresa and the baby story for instance. Brady has known about this baby for less than 24 hours and already he's found Kristen. There should have been days of him not believing Melanie, followed by weeks of desperate searches that led to him harshly confronting Kristen immediately upon seeing her, not him attempting to play mind games with her. And Theresa should know also that she has a baby out there and should be more desperate to the point of depression and total shutdown with her need to find him/her. So much potential but it never saw the light of day. The exact opposite is true of Serena and Dumbo. For months she's searched for that elephant desperate to get to those diamonds and keep her secret but the buildup and suspense was just never there.

I don't want to believe it, but I'm starting to think this was done deliberately. The writing was far from perfect 2 years ago, but it was so much better than this.

Well, I'm not surprised that Friday's episode barely got over 2mil viewers. I specifically remember posting in the daily thread that day how that single episode was basically a snapshot of just how bad the show has gotten. At this point I wouldn't be shocked to see below 2mil especially with summer coming up. It's funny how they hit a new low that I believe occurred around the time that Dena Higley (new co-head writer) was previously fired. I remember at that time they had announced some firings of certain actors and were touting the big "reset". I'm pretty sure I FF'd any and all Carly or Vivian scenes at that point and pretty much tuned out until the returns. I'm sure that's what a lot of people are doing this time around as well. Knowing things aren't going to change until Aug/Sept why bother wasting your time. Just another reason why the taping schedule is such a detriment to this show. I LOVE the idea of scrapping everything between now and whenever the new writers' material starts and saying "5 months later". That would show that Corday et.al. actually care about the show and its viewers.

Saddened, but not surprised.
...I'm pretty sure I FF'd any and all Carly or Vivian scenes at that point and pretty much tuned out until the returns. I'm sure that's what a lot of people are doing this time around as well....

I can vouch. And I am a huge Carly fan but she was given such junk at the time, I couldn't stand it.

Yikes! Terrible ratings, but not all that surprising, especially for that really dull Friday "cliffhanger" episode. I've seen a ton of comments everywhere online about not just how bad the show is now, but how everyone can't wait for the new writers to get here. I'm guessing that, as many of you are suggesting, people are just not going to watch until August or September when the new regime sets in. I wish and hope the current storylines are scrapped, but sadly, I doubt it will happen. All I can say is that it's fantastic that these writers were fired, otherwise the show would probably be 6 feet under before the New Year.

It does seem like the folks in charge at Days are focusing on everything but the story... the actual thing that the viewers see! Ratings, saving money, putting too much "stock" into particular actors... all of that is distracting. They can't see the forest for the trees.

Most of you hate what I am about to say, but just go with me for a second: the whole Sami and EJ thing... they put too many eggs in that basket. I think they tried (horribly, I edited to add) to recreate the super couple from the 80s that is being discussed in another thread... he raped her, she forgave him, they are from feuding families, he's still a bad boy, frankly, she's kind of a bad girl, they both want to be good until it doesn't suit them anymore... personally, I could have seen it. But even for a couple that they put so much effort into... so much screen time into... they just don't seem to know when to stop. I mean, how many times can ANY couple break up and get back together and still survive? Much less, shoot each other, kidnap babies, pretend kill babies, hide babies, lie, cheat, steal, whatever else you can think of... I mean, how long can that caliber of stuff really go on if you expect to elevate a couple to "lock, stock, and barrel" status? That was apparently THEIR OWN (the folks in charge) CHOICE, and they still didn't know when to stop!

So, it seems as if conflict is drama, and drama gets viewers. When you are too busy looking at each tree that goes by to ensure drama, you don't have a good feel for where you are in the forest. It's easy to get lost. It's easy to go in circles. I don't know where the blame really falls (well, ultimately, I suppose it would be Ken Corday, as "the main dude in charge" - I assume that's an official title :)), but they really need writers who can back up and see the bigger story arcs, so that other writers can come up with those bits of conflict and drama that fit within those story arcs. That means that they also need folks in charge who will be more concerned with the bigger story arcs, keeping actors for those bigger arcs, and making sure those bigger arcs are what viewers want to see, which in turn will probably translate to ratings, and ad dollars, and longevity. Seems to me (though I wasn't watching at the time) that the three favorite scenes (from another thread) of Corday were all sort of the culmination of a larger story arc. In my opinion, that's what made them powerful - not simply because someone died, or someone got married, or someone spoke at their wedding. There's' all this stuff behind it... all these other scenes and stories that led up to this big, memorable event that people talk about decades later!

We seem to be missing that now. It isn't that we're missing the scenes or the performances - there is plenty of talent all across the board, from writers to actors to cinematography to people I'm forgetting. It just isn't getting used effectively. I don't know what they'll have to do to fix it, other than make a major change to their culture... their entire way of doing things. The amount of control, the amount of creative liberty, and the amount of individual trees they decide to focus on. The fact that conflict for the sake of conflict does not result in positive ratings. It's going to have to be big and swift... or I'm afraid the 50th anniversary after party will look remarkably like a talk show.

Sorry for the rant. :)

Days is a mess. There are people who would argue this but it's:

NOT because the Tarnished "Golden"couple is not there
NOT because of not enough young people
NOT because of the vets are getting (a little) airtime

My opinion is Corday didn't pay attention to his parents success and refuses to do things the right way. He is doing idiotic stuff like turning Will into Sami Jr. He thinks a male version would work? We (well ..most of us) got sick of the overuse of original Sami...who was fine until they overdosed us on her the same way they overdosed us on Marlena at one point. This should be an ensemble cast not a 2 man.... and much much more

Sorry if I got carried away...this has been Soapy's Soapbox....brought to you by Kleenex and Big Barf Bags ..now back to our regularly scheduled downward spiral. :cry:

I don't think there is anything more I can add here that has not already been said, but I do agree strongly that the rest of the old writer's material should be scrapped and move forward right away to the material that the new writers have submitted. It's quite obvious that nothing spectacular is going to change under the old regime, and as long as that is the case, viewership will continue to be low and possibly decline even further. Perhaps have a "bridge" week to take pieces of the material that the old writers did to wrap up the current stories (and show others in a series of flashbacks) and tie up the loose ends. Let's see if Corday and Days care enough to do that.

I don't want to believe it, but I'm starting to think this was done deliberately. The writing was far from perfect 2 years ago, but it was so much better than this.
I feel like that is also what happened, especially after seeing the leaked emails. The previous writers showed us in 2013 that they can write good stuff on occasion, but the past year and a half the stories have tanked dramatically.

I'd say it was deliberate too. Not only because the leaked e-mails suggest some higher ups wanted the show cancelled, but because at this stage in the writing, Gary Tomlin & Christopher Whitesell as well as Lisa DeCazotte all probably knew they were being replaced and simply stopped caring what they were writing - moreso than they had before. They began to schlep things together and rush storylines, which is what we're watching. Well, NOT watching to be honest. WAY too much focus is on storylines that mean nothing (Serena and the diamonds) and characters that are pretty much unrelateable because we don't know them well enough to care (Paige, Ben).

I'd love to see them scrap the next four months of episodes and cut to the new material - the viewers are smart enough to connect the dots to what happens, and it would fix the taping schedule to be only 5-6 weeks out (depending on where they are now). Will that happen? Probably not - viewers will continue to not watch and the ratings will stay this way for a while - giving the higher ups the ability to cancel Days when their next renewal is up next year.

That's the collaborative fault of everyone BUT the cast and crew. From Corday on down and back up again - they ALL need to wake up and figure out how to fix this or be prepared to feel the backlash from angry fans.

cryin, thank you for posting this information. The ratings are not only horrible but they are scary as well. In order for Days to be salvaged, I think that they need to focus on the vets-bringing back Stephen Nichols/Steve and Peter Reckell/Bo is a step in the right direction. They need to focus on John/Marlena, Justin/Adrienne/Lucas, Steve/Kayla and Bo/Hope/Aiden. Days would be wise to focus on grooming the next generation: Chad/Abigail, Xander/Nicole/Eric, and Theresa/Brady. They could also considering bringing back any one of the following: Stephanie, Chelsea, Chloe/Philip, Shawn/Belle/Claire.

As for scrapping the old writers material, I have mixed emotions on that. On one hand, it sounds like a good idea, but at the same time, we'll be missing important aspects to some current storylines. I personally would like to see Paige's reaction to finding out about the JJ/Eve affair and the resulting consequences. I still believe that material has the potential to be Emmy worthy especially for Casey Moss/JJ, True O'Brien/Paige and Kassie DePaiva/Eve. I also want to see the resolution to Theresa/Brady/Melanie/Kristen storyline in addition to Patsy Pease/Kimberly's return.

Another solution to Days' issue is to change their ridiculous taping schedule.

Australia was 2 or 3 years behind the U.S. episodes, then, at one point, jumped forward to being only 6 mos. behind. They did a week of bringing stories up to date (I think in print) and then stayed 6 mos behind for quite some time. And then....Days was cancelled there, and it was a while before it was able to get back on the air. I don't think they "caught" the audience up, but those that visit Days sites were able to do so.
Just getting around to......Days could easily scrap all the "filler" stuff we see, the repetitive scenes/conversations, ones just held in a different place. First in an apt, then the Square, then the Club or hospital. Doing that, would wind up the remaining stories, and set in motion the new stuff.
I doubt they will do that, though. Each episode costs over $100,000 to make, they won't throw that much away. I am just hoping that the new writers were able to "edit" scripts and even filmed episodes a bit when they first began.
And yes, it does seem obvious that the previous team knew they would be leaving, so did not much care. They may have had different plans for Serena when she was first hired, but by the time she was to begin filming, they were just throwing stuff together and seeing what stuck.

I honestly don't think these ratings are fair. A lot of people work during the day and have no choice but to watch Days either on the internet, on demand or some other way. Unfortunately the Nielsen ratings don't take that into account and therefore aren't accurate in my eyes. So to say that Days is failing is a little blinding, because we don't have a way to tally all the numbers. If we did, who knows Days might just be on top. :wine:

Back