Ratings Report for the Week of June 30 – July 4, 2014

ImissTony

Reaction score
Ratings Report for the Week of June 30 – July 4, 2014

Numbers are based on Live+Same Day ratings(Compared to Last Week/Compared to Last Year)

Total Viewers
1. Y&R 4,321,000 (-69,000/-75,000)
2. B&B 3,449,000 (+35,000/+26,000)
3. GH 2,808,000 (-175,000/+476,000)
4. DAYS 2,403,000 (+18,000/-194,000)

Households
1. Y&R 3.2/10 (-.1/-.1)
2. B&B 2.5/8 (same/same)
3. GH 2.1/6 (-.1/+.3)
4. DAYS 1.8/6 (same/-.2)

Women 18-49 Viewers
1. Y&R 623,000 (-15,000/-206,000) <—— new low *
2. B&B 607,000 (+39,000/-68,000)
3. GH 578,000 (-54,000/+55,000)
4. DAYS 559,000 (+47,000/-6,000)
* Previous low: 638,000 (June 23-27, 2014)
* 2nd straight week getting a new low
* 5th new low in the past 3 months

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.0/7 (same/-.3) <—— ties low (4th straight week)
2. B&B 0.9/6 (same/-.2)
2. DAYS 0.9/6 (+.1/same)
2. GH 0.9/6 (-.1/+.1)

Women 18-34 Viewers
1. GH 200,000 (-27,000/+30,000)
2. DAYS 135,000 (+7,000/-38,000)
3. B&B 122,000 (-21,000/-76,000)
4. Y&R 113,000 (-28,000/-133,000)

Women 18-34 Rating
1. GH 0.6 (-.1/+.1)
2. DAYS 0.4 (same/-.1)
2. B&B 0.4 (same/-.2)
4. Y&R 0.3 (-.1/-.4) <—— new low *
* Previous low: 0.4 (June 23-27, 2014)
* 2nd straight week getting a new low

Women 25-54 Viewers
1. Y&R 1,058,000 (+30,000/-64,000)
2. B&B 923,000 (+105,000/+10,000)
3. GH 787,000 (-40,000/+86,000)
4. DAYS 750,000 (+60,000/+3,000)

Women 25-54 Rating
1. Y&R 1.7 (same/-.2)
2. B&B 1.5 (+.2/same)
3. GH 1.3 (-.1/+.1)
4. DAYS 1.2 (+.1/same)

Day-To-Day Ratings – Household/Total Viewers
DAYS
Monday: 1.7/2,183,000
Tuesday: 1.9/2,652,000
Wednesday: 1.9/2,432,000
Thursday: 1.8/2,347,000
Friday: 1.6/2,319,000 (did not count)

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2014/07/ratings-y-new-lows-w18-49-viewers-w18-34-rating

06/30, Monday: 1.7/2,183,000
Kate is stunned when she learns Clyde is Jordan and Ben's father. However, she's unable to dig up much about why they left home except that the man admits to making mistakes while raising them. He seems resigned to letting them live their lives without him. Meanwhile, Jordan tells Ben she's realized she has to come clean with Rafe about their past. Jordan talks about how difficult things were for both her and Ben before she took him with her and departed Poplar Bluff - and how their lives were in danger over the money they took from Clyde when they left. Eric's with Marlena, knowing Nicole's testimony is critical if he's to be cleared - but he's at peace leaving that choice to her. At the same time, Daniel gets a surprise as he's finishing with the bishop, and Nicole arrives. Once Nicole's alone with the bishop, she freely confesses all she did to deceive Eric. Against this, Eric meets up with Daniel, getting a shock when he learns Jennifer and Daniel have split. Later, Nicole runs into Eric, letting him know what she did. He thanks her - but leaves it at that and goes. Jennifer lets JJ know what Eve's intentions are for the royalties for Jack's book. Jennifer meets with Aiden, who examines the document Eve gave Jennifer and says it's possible Eve has a claim on the money. Meanwhile, Eve visits her sister Theresa and learns some interesting information about Jennifer's son.Hope innocently asks Chase about his mother, but Aiden happens upon them and quickly puts an end to the conversation. Hope's a little thrown, but Aiden claims talk of Chase's mom upsets the boy.

07/01, Tuesday: 1.9/2,652,000
It's Sami's wedding day, and she's surprised to learn Lucas will be attending. Allie insisted, he reports, and Sami's touched. Meanwhile, Abigail oversees the last of the wedding preparations when EJ arrives and comments on her beautiful dress. She bristles, letting him know that once the wedding is done she hopes never to see him again. Ben, Will and Sonny arrive and soon the wedding gets underway.At the same time, Rafe is given information that may put a damper on Sami and EJ's big day. Eve is intrigued when Theresa relays her scratchy history with Jennifer. Eve wonders if she and Theresa could put aside their own differences to team up against their common enemy. However, Theresa bristles when Brady shows up and Eve flirts with him. Jennifer reaches out to Daniel, but he's still hurting and gently rebuffs her. Later, Jennifer is stunned when she receives official notice of Eve's lawsuit.

07/02, Wednesday: 1.9/2,432,000
Chaos erupts at Sami and EJ's wedding! Jordan goes to Rafe to tell him all about her past, but he is pulled away by work. Meanwhile, Clyde contacts Kate again and later makes plans to come to Salem to reunite with his runaways. Hope starts to ask Aiden about his wife, but the lawyer deflects. Father Louis congratulates them on their preparations for the gala but drops the bomb that they still need an emcee. Marlena comes to their rescue. Later, Roman uses Giselle to make Marlena jealous.

07/03, Thursday: 1.8/2,347,000
EJ is certain Stefano is to blame for his troubles. Marlena and Roman rush to Sami's side to support their daughter.JJ graduates, but his big day is ruined when he, Abigail, Maggie and Paige all learn that Eve is suing Jennifer. Jennifer asks Abigail and Maggie to keep the lawsuit a secret, not knowing that Marybeth overheard - and is dishing the dirt to Rory and Bev. Meanwhile, Jennifer tells JJ about the Eve's connection to Theresa.

07/04, Friday: 1.6/2,319,000 (did not count)
Adrienne convinces Sonny and Will to come to the annual 4th of July picnic by the lake. Ben also changes his mind about going when he hears Abigail will be there. With T, Abe and Theo also in attendance, Will manages to forget his mother's troubles and focuses on his daughter's happiness. Theresa blows off Eve and also Anne before sharing a warm moment with Caroline. Meanwhile, Eve tries to charm Daniel, but he makes it clear he doesn't mix business with pleasure. Paige confronts JJ about keeping something from her.Abigail goes against her mother's wishes and privately tells Daniel that Jennifer needs him right now (though she gives away no details about the lawsuit). Daniel shows up to tell Jennifer he is worried about her. However, they are unable to get past their rift, and Jennifer ends up watching the fireworks alone.

http://www.nbc.com/days-of-our-lives/episodes

Thanks for posting. Not surprised about Friday's episode. A lot of people were busy doing their own celebrations, and the episode was boring.

The rest of the week should have gotten higher ratings!! I guess people just could care less about EJ-Sami or Jordan's storyline. Still, the ratings for Tuesday-Thursday weren't as bad as the other two weekdays. Hopefully the ratings for this week will be far better.

Yep, I'm skipping the entire storyline, which might have actually brought me back to watching for a few episodes at least if I'd been unaware of what had been said to a certain fan base by the actors involved as well as comments made by the same actress in an article that actually gave the ending of that episode away. From everything that I've been reading I'm not interested in investing any time in watching where this story is eventually headed. Same ole same ole.

Jnta..........I keep asking you questions and I know you don't have to answer but here I go.....If you don't watch the show and dislike so much about it, why are you on this board and why comment????:confused::confused::confused: If I disliked it so much, I would not watch or read about it. I would just get on to something else.:)

I expressed my feelings on this a few weeks ago in another post, this is part of what I said:

Soaps are not the only parts of the media that use rape murder, etc... as major topics, that's not the issue. The issue is handling those topics in a responsible way...

Until we start to hold main stream media responsible for their treatment of these issues we won't be able to put an end to them. Writing about rape, abuse, murder etc... is not wrong, but handling them irresponsibly is. Even more than rape my main problem with this storyline on days is the real issue of how women caught up in the cycle of abuse has been handle and the message that its sending to vulnerable young girls and young women caught in similar situations, many of whom use the same excuse that's been repeatedly echoed by Sami "he's the father of my child" "he's changed," or even blame themselves of think that they deserve to be treated that way. Many of those women eventually end up dead. As for tuning out if I don't approve of what's on screen, I already did that several years ago.

Do I still care? Yes, partially because I care about the genre, Days was my last soap, and also because I care about the issues involved. If Days was doing the same thing to child abuse or RACISM I'd also still be making noise. In my opinion, its just NOT RIGHT and there is no excuse for it.​
:back:​

Jnta I agree with much of what you say, because I also boycotted the show during the "happy days" of Sami's relationship with EJ (plus, the show had boring storylines at that time). However, if you watch now while Sami is making EJ pay, higher ratings during this period will show the writers what viewers want: the REAL Sami, not stupid Twit Sami with her smoochy-moochy. Plus, don't believe what James Scott and Alison Sweeney said, at least not yet. Like Corday, they always tow the company line and lie about many spoilers. Also, they never said EJ and Sami will have a happily-ever-after. Just that fans would be glad about the ending of their story. Considering that fanbase lost a lot of people when EJ cheated on Sami in addition to them liking this vengeful Sami, they are rooting for HER more than the couple, which I believe the writers expected and why they wrote it this way.

post deleted because poster cannot follow board rules, even after repeated warnings!! JS

Oh I disagree. The ratings spiked back in January/February when EJ and Abigail first began. Many viewers enjoyed that twist in the story because it was fresh and exciting and seemed to come out of nowhere. Things have fizzled since then. The ratings were higher last year around May/June due to Kristen. Then they went down again only to spike once again due to Brady/Kristen/Eric/Nicole in November. The next noticeable spike was when EJ/Abby happened. Ratings have been stagnant now for months. A big part of the show's problem is their release of spoilers. They give out way too much sometimes. I think more people may have tuned in for this wedding if they didn't know ahead of time that it would go through. Once the word "reception" was listed as part of the spoilers people knew EJ and Sami would be married.

Jnta I agree with much of what you say, because I also boycotted the show during the "happy days" of Sami's relationship with EJ (plus, the show had boring storylines at that time). However, if you watch now while Sami is making EJ pay, higher ratings during this period will show the writers what viewers want: the REAL Sami, not stupid Twit Sami with her smoochy-moochy. Plus, don't believe what James Scott and Alison Sweeney said, at least not yet. Like Corday, they always tow the company line and lie about many spoilers. Also, they never said EJ and Sami will have a happily-ever-after. Just that fans would be glad about the ending of their story. Considering that fanbase lost a lot of people when EJ cheated on Sami in addition to them liking this vengeful Sami, they are rooting for HER more than the couple, which I believe the writers expected and why they wrote it this way.
The problem is that the writers are not the ones in charge now. These writers clearly intended to put Sami and Rafe back together but TIIC called for rewrites, thus putting Rafe into a coma for a year and EJ becoming the savior for not only Sami but Rafe's sister as well.

The ratings rocketed during the EJ Abby affair and plummeted when it became apparent that it was going nowhere. TIIC have been well aware of the fact that the majority of viewers do not care for EJ and Sami together, but they still love them and used the excuse that while their fan numbers were lower they appealed to the younger coveted demographic.

As for what the actors said, they haven't been proven wrong yet. Their promises have always paid off when they've addressed that fan base. The fact that Ali Sweeney said in that interview that Sami almost relented in her plans because she was so taken with EJ's vows tells me just how stupid Sami still is. At some point viewers need to face up to the fact of where this always leads, and history has shown that Days will NEVER allow Sami to face up to the FACT that she's being driven by the cycle of abuse. Anything less than having her face that fact and enter into some type of therapy is a crime on the part of the show, the producers and the network as far as I'm concerned. And that is not going to happen. Why? Because that would not please the EJ Sami fan base which is what TIIC are still concerned with. The actors told the fan base that they would be happy. No that doesn't necessarily mean they'll live happy ever after, but it does mean that their real issues will never be addressed because the show still wants to paint them as star crossed "Dark Romance." SICK!

Ratings are never wonderful when junior/Sami are front and center....the show was almost canceled back in 2008 with the junior/Lucas/Sami triangle...I have cared about DAYS most of my life until the fall of 2011 and stopped watching. Something TPTB has to learn is you can't make viewers like something by shoving them down our throats day after day, and this is what they have done with junior/Sami! To do this they recycled SL's but changed the characters to protect the innocent. Made all the characters a little darker then normal so junior would look good. They drag all the SL's out for months sometimes years, viewers lose interest just so the "golden couple" are on the screen everyday. This is NOT a formula the others soaps live by and are doing better then DAYS can dream of doing. By catering to one fan base and what TPTB what's to see has ruined DAYS and I don't think they will rebound from this!

There is a continuing storyline going on that I find completely WRONG!!! I just fast forward or ignore that part, but I do keep watching the show.......everyone is different and to just keep harping on the couple you don't like is useless.:beat: That's just my humble opinion.:)

Funny that the NBC heads think this applies to "the younger" demo, when actually I would strongly disagree with that assumption. When Passions was at its height I was a preteen/ teen and could careless about the teens and bed hopping. I watched for ROMANCE and Sheridan and Luis provided that along with countless others but the network and James E Reily destroyed them. Much like he tried to do with all DAYS super couples during and after the Island storyline. Then if memory serves me, he is the one who initially wrote in and had the idea for the Elvis character and look at where we are 8 years later? No better then when he was first introduced to create "drama":rolleyes: Shame.:sick: My point is the younger demo presently I am sure, does not want to watch fifty shades of nasty but couples and characters they can root for WITHOUT trashing the integrity of long time characters to do that. Hope and Aiden presently are the ONLY root able couple In my honest opinion. Everyone else? NO WAY!!!

There is a continuing storyline going on that I find completely WRONG!!! I just fast forward or ignore that part, but I do keep watching the show.......everyone is different and to just keep harping on the couple you don't like is useless.:beat: That's just my humble opinion.:)
You asked me why I still post here and I gave you my answer. I may not be watching the show but I do still care about the genre and more than that care about an issue that in my opinion is a lot more important than the show alone. You choose to fastward, I choose to tune out but continue to express my opinion on a board dedicated to the show amongst others that also care. Different Strokes.

I agree. Not many people my age or younger watch soaps. But those that I have talked to that do watch Days do not care about the random romps in the hay, nor do they enjoy seeing EJ and Sami. They much preferred couples like Will & Sonny or Maggie & Victor, who are genuinely loving. And they loved it when Sami was married to Rafe. When I asked which couples they hated and why, they said Daniel and Jennifer (because they are boring) and EJ and Sami. My friends who watched the soap said it was unbelievable that they would wind up together after all the torture they inflicted on each other over the years. They also just felt like the couple was being shoved down our throats, very forced "chemistry" with the animalistic sex scenes, and just plain boring in general. They even preferred Sami with Lucas.

Funny that the NBC heads think this applies to "the younger" demo, when actually I would strongly disagree with that assumption. When Passions was at its height I was a preteen/ teen and could careless about the teens and bed hopping. I watched for ROMANCE and Sheridan and Luis provided that along with countless others but the network and James E Reily destroyed them. Much like he tried to do with all DAYS super couples during and after the Island storyline. Then if memory serves me, he is the one who initially wrote in and had the idea for the Elvis character and look at where we are 8 years later? No better then when he was first introduced to create "drama":rolleyes: Shame.:sick: My point is the younger demo presently I am sure, does not want to watch fifty shades of nasty but couples and characters they can root for WITHOUT trashing the integrity of long time characters to do that. Hope and Aiden presently are the ONLY root able couple In my honest opinion. Everyone else? NO WAY!!!

DaysD I could not agree more! I have experienced the same when it comes to friends my age watching SOAPS, and we are the 18-49 target demo that they think wants/ gets thrills from gratuitous sensationalized sex to create drama:sarcasm: The heads never give their viewers the respect we deserve and think we will buy what they try to sell. Well not this viewer. Then they wonder why soaps have lost their appeal? Really! Why did they need to steer from what used to work,If it wasn't broken why "fix it"?

Oldsoapie mentioned above to Jnta if you dislike the soap so much, why comment on it?

Valid points, and I'd like to jump in as well from a different angle.

I dislike what the soap has become. I still like the characters and the actors. Talk about trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. They're not given much to work with in my honest opinion and they go out there every day to make the material stronger.

You can dislike a show and still comment on it. There are a few good things going on. However, I hold out hope that a new writing and producing regime should take over Days and do an almost-complete reset of the show's storylines. There are about 10 characters I'd write out right now (and about four to six I'd write back in), and I'll refrain from mentioning who because I don't want to start any controversy. removed texting symbols....JS

Some of us want Days to rewind back to what worked before. That's all.

edited to write out phrase and to delete texting symbols....JS

I'm with Steve, and Jnta. Honestly I probably would not be watching at all now were it not for this site and twitter. But Days was the first soap I watched, I have watched all the soaps that have aired in the last 30 years for some period of time, as well as some older soaps, and I always come back to Days. It's like my black sheep of a brother, no matter what, I'm still there for it. :) I want to see it do better, because I know it can. It has a fantastic cast, some good writers, a rich history, and very loyal fans. This is all it takes to make a show great. Instead, we get little bits of greatness and a lot of over-focus-grouped tripe.

Add to that the delay in taping and spoilers for two, three months down the line - and it's a recipe for disaster.

Back