recasting characters

The Wanchai Ferry stuff made even less sense in the international market. I had no idea what they were banging on about.

I'm not opposed to subtle placements like those suggested above. I'm also not opposed to recasting. But a simpler solution to recasting characters is to just MENTION THEM OCCASIONALLY! On Neighbours, Susan and Karl will say "Oh we spoke to your brother Mal today, business is well" Or someone will say "Charlene's daughter has just got into uni in Brisbane!"

It really wouldn't have been that hard to get Carrie and Austin's actors to pose for a couple of photos with some babies before the end of their last stint, so that Roman or Caroline could open a letter with a baby announcement and show a photo of baby Bob or whatever they named it. Or to just reference Kate's other kids occasionally.

They can use tons of product placement all they need to. Go Passions style, if it means that it will pay for more sets. I was watching episodes from the 90s. Doesn't everyone miss actual scenes in the real outdoors, on real city streets. Even when they are "outside", they're stuck on a closed set.

Guess I miss Salemites actually pull up in cars and drive (Lucas mainly driving around in his BMW) and then (I remember Kate had a Mercedes that EJ helped fix when they met for the first time.) Only driving scenes we seen are behind probably a prop car while the actors are pretending to drive. Nicole pursuing Kristen and ramming into her comes into mind.

:confused: lol I'm confused. I was looking through my alerts and this thread is titled character recasting but we are talking about product placement. I thought it was named something else.

Edited: Just looked at the first paragraph, my mistake, oops :) Guess I just thought I clicked on the first page but was looking at the top of the 2nd page.

They do a wonderful job at times with recasting.....and at times they have no choice. If an actor becomes ill, or decides not to renew their contracts, they are really in a bind. Sometimes they fail, sometimes strike gold. I really liked Julie Pinson as Billie, do love Billy Flynn as Chad. While I like Eric Martsolf as Brady, he really has not been written as Brady.......The total lack of scenes between Brady & Chloe after Eric took over the role has been glaring. So, while I really like him, I guess I have to blame the writing for the character. I thought the actor who portrayed Philip after his facial surgery did a great job. I did not feel, though, that Brandon Beemer was a good recast for Shawn D. But that is just me.

Sometimes you strike gold, sometimes not. I don't know why some actors just fit in, and some do not.

But then, if you ever listen to Robert Osborne on Turner Classics tell of who the studio wanted originally for certain parts....which would have been a mistake....and instead struck gold with their 2nd or 3rd choices. i.e. Originally....Ronald Reagan & Ann Sheridan for Casablanca. Shirley Temple for Dorothy in Wizard of Oz. Cary Grant for Professor Harold Hill in Music Man, AND for Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady.

Some recasts make your head spin lol "Roman" used to be "Chris Kositchek" Original Roman became Alex North. Tamera Braun played both Taylor and Ava at different times. LOL Kassie DePaiva (now Eve Days) on OLTL was a recast of an Asian actress. :rotfl:

:confused: lol I'm confused. I was looking through my alerts and this thread is titled character recasting but we are talking about product placement. I thought it was named something else.

Edited: Just looked at the first paragraph, my mistake, oops :) Guess I just thought I clicked on the first page but was looking at the top of the 2nd page.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one Soaphead. :hug:

:back:As to the recast issue, I'm sure a lot of it is a matter of preference but I agree with Poirot that there seems to be a difference between immediate recast vs ones that have years between appearances. Personally, I have liked Eric Martsolf as Brady and Greg Vaughan as Eric but very much disliked Tamara Braun as Taylor and Guy Wilson as Will. I think it helps when some time passes although sometimes it doesn't matter (Kassie DePaiva as Eve, for example).

Back