Recasts

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes they work well, sometimes are fine for short spell. Sometimes, just..........a big fat NO! Only characters I would never have wanted recasted were Tom & Alice!

So let's review characters who had a recast (am sure Jason47 would know them all, lol) & what we thought. \

Roman Brady - original Wayne Northrop, but Josh Taylor has now played him for years, made the character his own.
Kate Roberts - Originally played by Deborah Adair (I liked her a lot) but 3 yrs. later, Lauren Koslow took over the part in 1996, & has held it ever since.
Brady Black - originally played by Kyle Lowder, and was well liked. Then Eric Martsolf took over the role, held it since 2008
Jack Deveraux....the character had a rough start, played by 3 different actors, Joseph Adams from April to July, '87, James Acheson from July to Oct. 1987, then Matt Ashford to '93. Surprisingly, Mark Valley then was tapped for the role in '94 to '97, and then Ashford returned, still here.
Abby Deveraux, initially played by Ashley Benson as a teen, then Kate Mansi came on to play Abby as an adult, replayed by marci miller when Kate opted to leave the show. They both have appeared off and on since then.
O.K. I have named several. I keep trying to remember the character who had a couple recasts that just did not work at all, one lasted just a couple weeks. Eludes me.

There was the Will recasting...Dylan Patton at first, later replaced by Chandler Massey, who seems the most popular...Guy Wilson was Will from 2014-15 until his "death," and then Massey returned.

Taylor Raines Walker...don't know the name of the ginger actress from the 90s who played her (I was a very small kid at the time and obviously not watching), but they had Natalia Livingston play her in winter 2011, then suddenly switched her to Tamara Braun, who otherwise plays Ava.

I know that both Arianna and Gabi Hernandez were briefly played by different actresses in the beginning, but quickly replaced.

Stephanie Cameron played Jennifer in the mid 90's and Tracy Middendorf played Carrie in 92. Both of those were failures, in my opinion.
And I think there have been about 5 or so adult Mike Horton's. Wesley Eure was playing him when I started watching. He and Michael T Weiss were my favorites.

If I remember right.....Mike Horton is the most recasted character on Days........Since he first appeared on Days, he has been played by s14-16 different actors!!!!! My fav was also Michael T. Weiss.
And Days D. ....that first actress to play Taylor was Katherine Ellis. Natalia only lasted 3 wks. before Tamara was cast & took over.

And there’s Jennifer Horton recast was Missy Reeves for a long time but now she’s being recast with the Cady McClain. I’m not sure that’s her name but I think she’ll be on next week.

Taylor Raines Walker...don't know the name of the ginger actress from the 90s who played her (I was a very small kid at the time and obviously not watching), but they had Natalia Livingston play her in winter 2011, then suddenly switched her to Tamara Braun, who otherwise plays Ava.
As Poirot noted, Katherine Ellis played the first Taylor, but she had dark hair, not red.

katherine-ellis.jpg

Ben was originally played by Justin Gaston but replaced the same year by current actor, Robert Scott Wilson.

Justin Gaston is married to Melissa Ordway who plays Abby on Y&R. When her on-screen husband had Covid (early in the pandemic), Y&R temporarily replaced him with Justin Gaston.

Chad was first played by Casey Diedrick, replaced by current actor Billy Flynn.

There were 3 Billies, the third one played by Julie Pinson.

The two Austins were Patrick Muldoon and Austin Peck.

Kayla was originally played by Catherine Mary Stewart from 1982-1983. She left and current actress Mary Beth Evans started in 1986 who has held the role since.

Sonny is being played by a new actor this year. Zach Taylor replaced Freddie Smith.

Ciara has been played by two older actresses after she got older. Vivian Jovanni was first than Victoria Konefal.

Jo Johnson had two actresses After Joy Garrett died, Marilyn McIntyre took her place.

Shawn Brady, Sr has been played by several actors Lew Brown (1984 to 1985), Peter MacLean (1989 to 1990), and most notably by Frank Parker (1983 to 1984, 1985 to 1989, 1990 to 2008).

Caroline Brady was played by Peggy McCay , 1983. Jody Carter stepped into the role briefly in 1984, followed by Barbara Beckley from 1984 to 1985. McCay returned to portray Caroline from July 17, 1985 to August 2016.

Was just coming to post about Austin Reed. This all shows that Days has had successful recasts thru the years, & not necessary to kill off Abby. They could have recasted......or had Abby have an affair, they get a divorce, she leaves town to ......heck, Days' favorite send to place.......volunteer in Africa with her new, unseen love!

But, guess there was some budget concerns , so....we have to lose a character completely, no recasting.
Heck, they moved Kim & Shane to CA, and we don't see them at all. Abby could have decided to join her brother, wherever he is now.

Chelsea Brady was first played by Mandy Musgrave, then recast with Rachel Melvin.

Back