Redsquirrel's Favorite Raisin Filled Cookies

redsquirrel

Reaction score
I had been searching for my Aunt Rose's raisin filled cookie recipe since she died over 15 years ago. She was as bad as my Mom at never writing down their recipes. I think it was originally on a container of raisins sometime in the 1930's up to the late 1940's. My older sister remembers my aunt making them before I was born in 1953.

Ingredients

COOKIE DOUGH
2 c granulated sugar
1 c butter
2 eggs
1/4 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 1/2 c flour

RAISIN FILLING
1 3/4 c raisins
3/4 c water
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch cinnamon
Pinch salt
2 Tbsp cornstarch

Directions
Step-By-Step
COOKIE DOUGH:
Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder together and set aside.
Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs, milk and vanilla.
Add sifted dry ingredients. You may have to add up to 4 cups of flour to get a workable dough.
Chill dough
Roll chilled dough out on floured surface to desired thickness for each cookie. Cut with round cookie cutter or biscuit cutter.
Place cookie circles on sprayed baking pan. Add small amount of cooled raisin filling (see recipe below) to each cookie. Do NOT overfill or your cookies will leak while baking. Top with a remaining cookie cirle. Seal edges.
Bake at 350 degrees until lightly brown. Cool
RAISIN FILIING:
Boil raisins in water for 5-10 minutes. Add sugar and vanilla.
Combine dry ingredients and slowing stir into boiling raisins. Stir and cook until thickened.
COOL BEFORE PLACING BETEEN LAYERS OF COOKIE DOUGH

Yum. How many does this make? I wonder if you could also substitute other dried fruits, such as apricots or cherries, in this recipe?

I like fig bars, sounds like this recipe can be very versatile.

Back