Reusing Actors

DDDrama

Reaction score
When we are in the middle of a story, like Gwen/Leo/Dimitri and you know that the actress, Emily O'Brien (Gwen), is going to be playing a new role on the same soap, the storyline of Gwen is instantly dead. How do you stay invested in this plot when you know that Gwen will be off camera soon, and that the actress will not be returning because she is still on camera as another character?

I feel the same way when they talk about Ben and Ciara. You know that we won't see any long term storyline for them because Robert Scott Wilson's character as Alex is becoming more and more important in the current plot.

I guess I am just saying that I do not like reusing the same actors for a new character so quickly after their last role. Maybe if there was time in between but these switcheroos are too quick

The quick turnaround on these two characters (Alex and soon-to-be Theresa) is ridiculous. But I guess it's the only way the show could keep the actors when their storylines have run out. The show apparently didn't want to recast Ciara, so Robert Scott Wilson (Ben) was left hanging when the actress didn't want to return full time. That's why they sent Ciara, Ben and baby Bo off on the high seas, like Bo, Hope and baby Shawn-D left the show decades ago.

Seems like the writers have run dry on storyline ideas for Gwen, so in their mind, this was the only way to keep Emily O'Brien (Gwen) on the show. Although from Jen Lilley's (Jeannie T) interview recently, she had no idea she was being abruptly replaced with another actress.

That recently fired producer really was having a field day, me thinks. You cooperate, you are still here, you give me a hard time......Bye! I have no idea about the contracts, how long, terms, or recurring, but it seems he carried a big stick and used it constantly.

Probably a little off topic, but for instance, a character like Gwen. She has not had any interaction with characters that she has a history with in a long, long time. The writers kind of silo the characters to only interact with people in their current storyline. For example, Gwen and Chad, Gwen and Julie, Gwen and Xander.

No great interaction to make her more involved in Salem except for interacting with Leo and Dimitri. Finally, we saw a conversation with Kristen. They were partners in crime and then, nothing for so long. For a character to stay relevant, they need screen time and relationships (good or bad or even surface) for them to have longevity on this soap.

Gotta say.........I do notice the absence of Nicole, and Eric, too. Now, I remember vaguely that Greg Vaughan (Eric) wanted to leave, but Ari Zucker (Nicole) is the one who spoke up about the misery on set, and behind the scenes. (and that started the ball rolling for a few others to speak up, for the suits to clamp down, and the eventual exit of the OGRE, as squirrelly aptly noted.

Also Gwen and Gabi were friends or at least friendly. Remember when Gabi saved Gwen from being murdered by Abigail? They could be friends. With the Dmitri revelation, they could team up. Of course, Gabi is leaving, and we're not sure how, but there's plenty of runway for Gwen—even with Abigail and Jack off the canvas. She could end up with a romance with Stefan. After all, he looks just like her ex. Or Gwen could go after Alex. I don't think they're related by blood, and they weren't raised as relatives. Anjelica was only a Deveraux by marriage, and Adrienne was an adoptive mother. It would be less weird than Alex and Stephanie, who knew each other as kids.

Switching the actress to being Theresa is just annoying. Why bring Theresa back as a character at all unless she's going to stick around? Other people could have done the will switch to swap Alex for Xander (assuming that's what Theresa has done), like Philip or a raised from the dead Anjelica. Maybe Bonnie could have been involved in a coverup. There are lots of options.

Or......OR.........the studios that rake in billions every year can afford to just hire a new actor/actress to play these roles and the current actors can continue in the roles they were originally hired for.

But having said that I do like Ben playing Alex as opposed to the other way around.

Days has had their budget slashed so many times, I'm surprised we don't have 2 or 3 unknown voice actors playing all the characters using hand puppets and a generic Sesame Street type of background. At this point, if they want to add a new character, they need to use a mannequin or life size paper doll.

Back