Revisiting the Egg Switch

KathyLu

Reaction score
Website
www.heraldanewday.com
I thought it would be fun to see if we still feel the same way as when we first voted on this several years ago.

I thought Tyler aka "Pocket" was Mimi and Philip's baby, carried by a surrogate who skipped town. Meanwhile Shawn-D & Belle's baby was miscarried. Or am I mixed up???

Jason, many of us think since EJ switched the eggs before they were fertilized, that the baby Belle lost belonged to Mimi and Philip and that Tyler belongs to Belle and Shawn.

Kathy Lu is correct. I had this all written out but lost it during a computer crash. When Belle & Mimi were being impregnated (realistically in the same room), the eggs were in a dish with their names on it, and the sperm vials along side, with the men's names on them. The black hand switched things around, so that Mimi's egg was fertilized by Philip, and Belle's by Shawn. But what happened was with the switching that was done, it was actually Belle & Shawn's baby carried by the surrogate, while Mimi & Phil's was carried by Belle, and she miscarried it.
It was a very convoluted switcheroo. At the time, I was able to tape the show, and I guarantee you I ran that tape scene several times, to note the progression of the switching, and how it all went down.

But though everyone thought the surrogate was carrying Philip & Mimi's baby....that was not the case.

The thing is, subsequent writers never took advantage of what really happened, preferring to just let it stay the way Salemites had accepted things.

I think you are right Kathy. However I don't want to go through any MORE baby / child drama!! So I think that s/l should stay in the past.

I tell you, so much switching was done, it was hard to keep track. That is why I played that tape over and over, pausing, etc. The labels on the sperm vials were switched, and then the vials themselves switched so that the correct name was on the vial to go with the correct wife's egg.
After the fertilization, the labels on the dishes containing the now fertilized eggs were switched, and the vials were changed again....so that the dish containing Belle's egg, fertilized by Shawn's sperm was given to the surrogate. The mistake about the sperm was discovered, but not about the egg labels being switched. Thus the foursome knew that Philip's sperm & Mimi's egg, well.etc. etc.
But they did NOT know that Belle was carrying that egg. And miscarried it.
And now we all have a headache! LOL.

Guess it's just one of those storylines left dangling that new writers could one day pick up and run with, years from now.

Back