Robin Williams has died

I just saw this on someone's Facebook feed and was hoping it was a hoax. I'm incredibly sad. I grew up watching Mr. Williams, and when I saw Dead Poets Society when I was 13 it quite literally changed my life. I also always felt special about the fact that I shared a birthday with him.

Yesterday, we might have thought of Robin Williams as a man "who has everything." We can't always know the problems of others. I heard his depression was hereditary and that it increased with his recent heart surgery and the medication associated with it. Such an intelligent and endearing man to have been in such despair. We just don't know.....

"Oh, captain, my captain." That line from Dead Poets Society still makes me cry.

One of his friends was quoted as saying, "So funny; so sad."

I feel for what his family is going through. One of my sisters committed suicide in 2003.

I am still so stunned and sad over this. Last night I was looking through shows on HuluPlus to add to shows watch later... I saw Mork and Mindy I thought well I might want to watch it sometimes it's been a long time ... so I added it. Today he's gone. It's so strange that I added that very show last night it was like a nagging at my conscience to add it. Now will I be able to watch.

I hate that people were calling him selfish (the way he went). Severe depression takes you over. You sometimes cannot control it .

I LOVE the sweet loving tweets that were going out telling people that they were not alone that they are loved. I applaud those people.

Mystfaerie that is perfect :(

Rest In Peace Robin

Poirot..........Thanks for posting. I was going to, but saw you did.....This is so said....My heart goes out to his family.....What a horrible way to end a meaningful life. Robin Williams has touched so many people with his talent.....What a shame.,.....ShaSha

My very favorite improv scene that Robin Williams did was on the Carol Burnett show. They did a skit wherein Robin comes to the wake of a man, Carol playing the grieving widow. They did the skit as written, and then Carol announces that Robin wanted to really do the skit "his way", and so they did it all over again, and she warned she had no idea what he had in store. Well, oh, my gosh, he was hysterical, and as the grieving widow, she had to use her hankie to stifle her laughter instead of the fake tears. She nearly fell off the sofa she was laughing so hard. He suddenly brought up "keening".......she about fell over. (a term to express loud grieving for the deceased...I have only heard it used in British or Irish wakes) and he went on and on. He was such a brilliant man....sometimes hard to control as the comedy just rolled out of him. But he sure made us laugh.......and equally, could make us cry when he did drama.

I can relate, having suffered from major depression. No one else can get in and make it better. It somehow seems like the only option. Obviously, medications don't always work. Not enough is done for treating mental illness. There is still such a stigma about it.

Back