Salem Stalker storyline

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a lot of newer viewers, unfamiliar with this past story. it was penned by James Reilly, who loved supernatural or sci stuff, and was the headwriter for Passions.

He had just been hired, and first thing (it was September) Abe was shot in the head while on his way to his child's baptism. Next was Jack who was killed while shopping with Jen. The next few deaths were usually on Holidays. On Halloween, Maggie was bludgeoned with a bottle of whiskey (remember she was an AA member), On Thanksgiving Cassie dropped from a pinata, all bloodied, having been knifed. Caroline was killed while praying in church, Roman was knifed to death on New Years just prior to being married to Kate. Doug had his throat slit in the cemetary around Valentine's day. Somewhere in the mix was Tony, who was killed by Horton the tiger during a circus performance. Next was Alice who had a donut stuffed into her mouth, leaving her unable to breathe.By then, it was known Marlena was the culprit, John was devastated, and she was shot by police.
While fans were already up in arms over all these major characters losing their lives, Alice's death was the cherry on the cake. Uproar. Reilly was told, in no uncertain terms to "fix it" they did not care how.
So, he invented Melaswen, where all the victims turned up alive. And in the long run, it was really Andre' who somehow, had created an illusion, for all of Salem, as to the deaths. Hypnotism I guess.

So, add whatever you know I missed, ask questions, go at it. LOL

Could be, I just remember kate screaming bloody murder, her wedding dress with blood on it, and Roman on the floor, gosh, so much blood, plus the wedding cake. Yep, you are probably right. It was just such a small room, I thought they were not married yet, since we had not seen any "Vow exchange".
So HATED THAT story.

I'm willing to accept quite a lot (see also: Marlena's possession, that magic laser which removed Laura's memories, the fetus-napping recently) but this sounds like it's too whacky even for me.

I'm up to part 59 on YouTube and all I can say with certainty so far is that a) all the purity talk between Belle and Shawn is annoying and b) I must have repressed how awful fashion was in this period. Its all stringy twisted hair, velour tracksuits, spaghetti straps, and sleeveless turtlenecks (why was this ever a thing?).

No. I don't wanna talk about this.

tumblr_inline_mwmv4sqD631qjdae7.gif

This gif is me at this storyline being over. :rotfl::wine:

I'm willing to accept quite a lot (see also: Marlena's possession,
Marlena's possession was amazing, in my opinion, and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as stuff about the Salem Stalker.

Already said that was probably the case. Hated, absolutely H A T E D the Possession storyline....but this thread is about the Stalker, because someone asked in another thread. Did not want to get off track in a daily summary thread, did answer privately, but I do know others are newer viewers, and might get confused when it is mentioned.
So thought perhaps this would be a good way.

I know that watching clips from that time period gets you into other stories as well. even more confusing. LOL

I remember when Australia was so many years behind the U.S. and they suddenly skpped over a few years, and I believe, tried to verbally tell what happened in the years the Australians thus missed.

I remembered bits and pieces of this storyline and I didn't think it was all bad. It was pretty suspenseful and it kept me interested. I liked it especially because a lot of the vets were actually getting some airtime where before this they barely were on.

LOL, but the vets were all being killed off. So, really.......not much airtime at all. It was quite the stretch to have them all turn on on that island with homes and buildings identical to Salem. Plus the most implausible explanation for them still being alive, but the viewers did not care. As long as they were all alive again. LOL

I remember when Australia was so many years behind the U.S. and they suddenly skpped over a few years, and I believe, tried to verbally tell what happened in the years the Australians thus missed.

5 years behind at the time and increasing every year, because it'd stop for the Cricket over summer. Which sucked for me, because summer was when I did the bulk of my watching then (ie the school holidays). So for all the 5 day tests and one day internationals they wouldn't air Days (or Y&R but I didn't watch that) and it blew out to 5 years.

There was a 1 hour special which aired to cover off all the stuff which was skipped when we jumped ahead the 5 years, but I didn't see it. I think it might have been presented by Ali Sweeney (Sami)? I should see if it's on YouTube. That was around the time I'd finished university and was working full time, so I pretty much had stopped watching then. A few years later it moved from Channel 9 (free-to-air) to one of the Foxtel (cable) channels where it airs pretty much right after the US, but we don't have Foxtel. I watch on YouTube.

edited to add character's name - JS

I remember actually feeling suspense during the storyline. I think it was back when the only spoilers we got were the ones from SOD so those were usually 2 or 3 bullet points. I think we had gotten foreshadowing from the characters before each imminent death but it was a scary time.

I remember that cover too JS.

I remember that story well. Got me watching Days again after bowing out when Marlena beat a wheelchair-bound bratty Brady, LOL. Also got a lot of folks on campus talking about it, watching it.

But like all things Reilly, it went too far, ran too long, and was only to serve his crazy agenda. I lost interest...then was flummoxed when they ALL WERE ALIVE. Talk about making the best of a bad situation. And I dug watching Caroline & Victor growing closer in groovy island clothes. LOL

BUT THEN AGAIN, they kept everyone out of Salem for far too long, as we watched everyone go on with their lives, thinking their loves were dead. Silly. Especially breaking up Kate & Roman.

In the midst of that Stalker Story we had Victor "killed" by The Kewpie Queen Jan Spears. It was a convoluted mess.

LOL Remember when someone said (Mimi?) "If you marry Shawn, you'll be "Jan Brady" Then other stuff thrown in like a tribute to tv shows.

Micky and Maggie now had the address of 1313 Mockingbird Lane (The Munsters)

Bonnie Lockhart said Connor was playing football at the Van Pelts on Thanksgiving (Peanuts reference Linus and Lucy Van Pelt) and oh so many more it was crazy.

Back