Salemites in the kitchen

And we all know that JJ can bake some mean doughnuts!! Maybe Days will post his recipe......er..... I mean, Alice's doughnut recipe! :wink:

:OT: I find it hard to believe as well that people cannot cook a basic meal, but having said that, I do have a friend that literally eats out ALL the time. I will eat out for lunch once in a while but that's usually with a friend or two. And we will have a harvest day once or twice a month where on a Sunday we will have something going in the slow cooker, bread baking in the bread maker, and something in the oven so we have lunches for the week.

When I was growing up, both my parents worked and when we became teenagers, we all had to take a night during the work week to prepare dinner for everyone so all of us learned to cook. Except we tease my younger sister and have nicknamed her Betty Crocker because somehow she got out of having this responsibility and had some memorable experiences when she did bake or cook. LOL!

And for @katmouse - When all of us kids hit grade 10, my mother taught us all how to iron. She said she would continue to do the washing but we were responsible for ironing our own clothes. I now walk the exhausting 6 steps to hang my clean dress shirts up for when I am ready to iron. :)

My mom worked nights, so slept during the day, thus my sis & I definitely learned at a young age to cook. Hey, not all that well. My mom, on Saturday, would make big pots of soup, stew, spaghetti sauce, chop suey, (all going at once), give us orders about adding things at certain times. But thus during the week, we only had to do the noodles, or rice maybe. Eventually, though, before the age of 12, we were doing potatoes, frying meat, etc. etc. But my mom was a great cook and baker. For baking though, all we EVER were allowed to do was wash the pans and bowls. LOL She also canned (or jarred, that's for you, Muzza) but usually we were at school, and came home to....yep, sink full of stuff to wash. Ha.

My two daughters, and youngest son are all very good cooks. In fact my oldest girl is gourmet status. Definitely on her own, not me.

Love the cooking conversation going on here. We were always expected to help in the kitchen. I love cooking but not the dishes. I was not really allowed to be the chef until the older ones left for college, then my father and I did a lot of the cooking as my mom was at work.

My father used to leave a bag of chocolate chips on the counter and when I got home from school that was my clue he was out of cookies and I needed to get a batch done before he got home from work. lol Dad did a lot of hunting and fishing so we learned to make a variety of foods.

Back