Salem's Villains

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Admittedly I am not a Day 1 viewers. I think I began watching Days in the 80s sometime, around when Patch first appeared. (sure wish the show still used that moniker, lol). So, am not familiar with the various villains before then.
To me, best was Stefano! And entirely due to Joe Mascolo's portrayal of him. Suave, sophisticated, menacing, secretive, evil, caring, ....a man who loved his brandy & his chess, and of course his children. Very quick to deal with those he considered an enemy, who did him wrong. And though he went about showing it in a peculiar and at times, terrible way, his heart was always on his sleeve for Marlena.
He slept around a lot, did not know the meaning of the word "condom" or birth control, but evidently was pretty fertile, since he produced quite the number of children by different mothers.
A shame NONE of those children have been able to achieve the same results he did, despite constantly taking the name. He even became guardian to a couple, who may have tried, but again, had to go into hiding. Stefano never did. Despite all his evil, he died a free man.

There has been no greater villain in all of "soapdom" then Stefano.
Before they went to Central America, and started using that flute flourish for Stefano, they always used Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries as Stefano's theme.
Where you said "a man who loved his brandy & his chess..." it also needs to be added - LOVED opera.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh, my gosh, cannot believe I forgot the opera!

Back